the woman I will be (surrender)

the woman I will be (surrender)

A Poem by Madeline Capo

I kiss the woman I have been. Her skin tastes of salt and is wet to the touch. I wipe away her cascading tears and cup her chin in the bowls of my palms. “We are walking away,” I say. Her face rests in my hands as if this is the first time she has bowed her head in months. I can feel her chest rise and fall with seconds between that feel like lifetimes. I feel an intense empathetic sadness for her- for making her into this person who is always tired with salty skin. “When will we arrive?” She asks, her eyelids nearly shut, giants named depression and anxiety bending behind curtains, controlling her movements with jerks and yanks. My hands are filled to the brim with water, now. Little puddles created from oceans of fear. “I don’t know. But we can’t stay any longer. We can’t stay here.” I can almost feel the room shake and shiver with the sigh that the woman I have been produces. She straightens her head forward. My hands fall, dripping. “Just promise me it’s better.” And this I know undoubtedly. So undoubtedly that I let a large grin, the size of all her doubts, sweep across my face and stretch my freckles.  “I promise. Let’s go.” 

© 2018 Madeline Capo


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

415 Views
Added on November 2, 2018
Last Updated on November 2, 2018

Author

Madeline Capo
Madeline Capo

Barcelona , Catalonia , Spain



Writing
easy easy

A Poem by Madeline Capo





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114