Black Smoke: The Solution to Global Warming?

Black Smoke: The Solution to Global Warming?

A Story by michaelandrew
"

A highly overlooked, grossly underestimated, not-so-alternative fuel with serious planet saving potential.

"

Black Smoke: The Solution to Global Warming?

Global warming isn’t a myth.  Science has proven that our average global temperature is increasing at alarming rates.  It is also no myth that this is due to the rapid depletion of our ozone, the only thing separating us from the suns violent and deadly rays.  What is the single greatest cause of ozone depletion?  Pollution from automobiles.  Almost all American families own at least one car, and each car emits unimaginable amounts of carbon deposits, carbon monoxide, and oxides of nitrogen.  Gasoline engines are notorious or their pollution, and no amount of fuel return systems, catalytic converters, and oxygen sensors can stop the gasoline powered engine from dumping disgustion waste into our atmosphere.

 Flash back to 1897, when Rudolph Diesel first had a wild idea.  After years of developing heat powered engines, he wrote a paper on what would later become the internal combustion engine.  He designed and developed the diesel engine, which was patented in 1898, thus proving fuel could be ignited in an engine without a spark. Simply using the brute force of the piston, air and fuel, at the right ratio, could be ignited to provide power for something.  And thus, the diesel engine was born.  Today, the diesel engine is the driving force of a worldwide economy.  As the saying goes, if you bought it, a truck bought it.  The image of diesel usually invokes the image of black smoke bellowing from a tailpipe producing unimaginable pollution.  Why then, does the majority of the world run on diesel?  Why wouldn’t they switch to a more environmentally friendly engine?   Diesel has come a long way.  It is now the single most powerful and efficient engine available.  Therefore, a massive transition to diesel would be an extremely intelligent decision in numerous ways.   If a Greener Planet is the goal, car manufacturers should focus their efforts on diesel powered vehicles because they have more power and perform more efficiently. Furthermore, the process used to make diesel fuel is more environmentally friendly the most common method of producing electricity.

 

Power

                Diesel engines are most widely known for their incredible power, especially when it comes to hauling huge loads.  Everything from tractor trailers to heavy construction equipment runs of diesel engines.  Why?  Because the diesel engine out performs any alternatives when it comes to producing incomprehensible amounts of torque (1).  An average Mack dump truck equipped with a MP7 325-M engine and an 18 speed Eaton Fuller transmission is capable of producing 325 horsepower (2) and 1200 ft/lbs of torque while the 15,000 pound behemoth is still capable of getting 10 mpg (3) (Mack).  The average American family, however, isn’t concerned with a vehicle that performs quite this strong.  Most families are more interested in towing a boat or simply having a vehicle that can rise to the occasion whenever a heavy haul is needed.  Many men and women rely on their trucks for work, which is one field where General Motors has been leading the way in innovative vehicles.  For the 2012 model year, GM introduced a more fuel efficient version of the full size Sierra pickup: the 2012 Sierra 1500 hybrid.  The Sierra is capable of pulling a little over 6,000 pounds while getting roughly 20 MPG.  The truck is designed to use electric power below 30mph, above 30mph the 6.0L V8 takes over. (Sierra)

                For many people, a 1500 series truck just isn’t enough.  That is when serious buyers switch their search to GM’s heavy duty 2500 and 3500 series trucks.  Still, many people question the benefits of such a large vehicle.  However, with a diesel engine, similar fuel economy is available with more power to the wheels.  The 2012 GMC 2500 can come equipped with either the non-hybrid 6.0L gas engine or the Isuzu powered 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine.  This truck comes equipped with a whopping 397 horsepower: faster than a first generation Camero.  If that weren’t enough, it can also beat the first generation Camero in a quarter mile race, while towing four Cameros.  Most people in the market for a heavy duty truck are more concerned with torque than horsepower, so GM made sure this truck didn’t lack in this department either.  The 6.6L Duramax coupled with a 6-speed Allison transmission puts out 765 ft/Lbs of torque: this equates to the ability to tow up to 21,700 pounds (CITE).  Additionally, the 2012 Sierra 2500 achieves a whopping 19mpg.  (Duramax)

                For those in the market for a new truck, fuel mileage is important, but generally payload is the deciding factor.  The 2012 GMC Sierra 2500 with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine makes both of these possible.  With similar interior accessories, exterior trim, and options, at first glance the trucks are surprisingly similar.  However, the 2500 tows 15,000 pounds more then it’s hybrid counterpart and still achieves almost identical fuel economy. 

Efficiency

                Not everyone is concerned with torque ratings and payload.  The majority of car buyers today are more interested in efficiency.  With gas prices projected to hit $5/Gallon by the end of summer 2012, it’s no wonder thousands are flocking to trade in the gas guzzlers for a more fuel efficient way to travel.  When economy is mentioned, the first place most people look to is Toyota, the leader in hybrid technology.  The Toyota Prius is an innovator in fuel efficiency, which is why many new car buyers flock to this car.  The 2012 Prius is rated at 50mpg when in hybrid mode.  Hybrid mode is when both the gas and electric engines are being utilized and is the most commonly used method of travel.  The 1.8L DOHC (dual overhead camshaft) engine is capable of producing 98Hp and a little over 100 ft/lbs of torque.  (Prius)

                On the other side of the fuel efficiency spectrum is the diesel powered car.  An American or Japanese car manufacturer has yet to produce a small diesel vehicle, yet the technology has been present in European cars for decades.  In fact, diesel is often preferred over gas in Europe.  For example, the 2012 Ford Ranger was offered with an optional 5 cylinder diesel engine in Europe, but the model was discontinued in the United States. 

                Germany has been leading the way in automotive and mechanical engineering for generations, and the production and development of clean burning, fuel sipping diesel cars is no exception.   Comparable to the Toyota Prius is the Volkswagen Jetta.  While slightly larger both in size and engine displacement, the Jetta is incredibly competitive in fuel mileage when equipped with the optional diesel engine.  The 2.0L DOHC engine is a 16 valve monster when it needs to be and a gentle giant when it should be.  The Jetta gets an average of 42 mpg while putting a whopping 140Hp and 236 ft/Lbs of torque to the wheels.  (Jetta)

                Additionally, many families feel the need for a larger vehicle.  Generally, this means a great reduction in fuel economy.  Car manufacturers responded to this desire with hybrid crossover SUVs.  The Toyota Highlander was the first to offer this technology in a larger vehicle.  Toyota continues to tweak and improve its Hybrid Highlander.  The 2012 model offers a combined 21mpg and, estimated to be 18mpg city and 24mpg highway.  The hybrid features a 3.8 Liter v6 engine capable of producing 280 horsepower. (Highlander)

                Another option for families looking for a vehicle large enough to fit everyone comfortably and still save at the pump is a diesel powered crossover.   Again, German engineering leads the way in production of diesel powered passenger vehicles.  The Mercedes ML350 Blutech is more than comparable to the highbred highlander.  The ML350 comes equipped with a turbocharged 6 Cylinder diesel engine capable of towing up to 7200 pounds and putting a strong 240 horsepower to the wheels.  Most importantly, it is rated at 20mpg city and 25mpg highway: better fuel economy then it’s hybrid Toyota competition.  As an interesting addition, the diesel ML350 1.01 lb/mile of carbon dioxide emissions while the gasoline version produces 1.02 lb/mile.  (Mercedes)

                Overall, in passenger vehicles, diesel still outperforms its hybrid counterparts.  In both instances, the diesel engine produces more torque and comparable, if not better fuel economy.  The diesel car is significantly faster than a hybrid car.  Many people in the market for a small car are also interested in performance, considering the fact that cars are most widely used for fuel mileage and performance.  With crossover SUVs, most buyers need a vehicle that can carry the family and all of the luggage, with fewer stops at the pump.  The ML350 delivers in both departments, offering more towing power as well as better fuel economy. 

Process

                Many are still skeptical about the effects of drilling for fossil fuels.  However, the general public is largely misinformed about the process’s used to refine crude oil into fuels and how electricity is manufactured.  The mainstream media has successfully morphed the refinement process into what is believed to be one of the most environmentally harmful processes used by humans.  This viewpoint could not be further from the truth. 

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/oil-refining-diagram.gifCrude oil is refined in two major methods; fractional distillation and chemical processing.  Chemical processing is a fairly new technique, but fractional distillation has been used for years and continues to be the most widely used refinement method.  Essentially, crude oil is made up of various forms of hydrocarbons, which all boil and cool at different rates.  To separate these hydrocarbons into usable fuels, chemists developed a method which is nothing more than evaporating and condensing.  Crude oil is first exposed to extreme temperatures.  It is met with compressed steam, at an average temperature of roughly 600 degrees Celsius.  Most of the crude oil becomes vapor, anything that doesn’t is routed back to the boiler and reused.  The vapors then travel upwards in the distillation column where the make contact with perforated metal trays which gradually cool the vapors.  When the vapor meets a tray that is equal to its boiling point, it condenses and forms a liquid.  Diesel fuel condenses before gasoline and kerosene.  The illustration above shows that only a fraction of the crude oil is released to the atmosphere as carbons.  The vast majority of vapors are condensed back into usable fuels.  (HowstuffWorks)

                On the contrary, the vast majority of electricity is still produced in a way that is extremely harmful to the environment.  While solar and wind methods are gradually being introduced, electricity is still largely manufactured in coal power plants.  Here, coal is burned to produce electricity.  Coal is one of the dirtiest burning fossil fuels and produces inhumane amounts of pollution daily.  On a typical day, a coal power plant will emit into the atmosphere:  10,000 tons of carbon dioxide, 28 tons of sulfur dioxide, 1.4 tons of airborne particles, 27 tons of nitrogen oxide, 2 tons of carbon monoxide, .6 tons of hydrocarbons, .2 kilograms of mercury, .6 kilograms of arsenic, .3 kilograms of lead, and more radiation then a nuclear power plant (Coal).  Until better methods of producing electricity are developed, all these pollutants must be emitted before a hybrid car can be charged. 

 

 

There is something to be said about the first time we start up a new car.   That roar of the engine when the flywheel engages and the crankshaft starts driving the pistons upwards making thousands of controlled explosions inside a block of metal.  There is something about the rush of air into the intake and the growl of the tailpipe when we first hit the gas.  There is something so comforting and familiar about the puttering of a hit and miss Harley-Davidson and the captivating scream of a top fuel dragster.  From motorcycles to monster trucks, from the morning commute on the interstate to the thrill of the world’s best drivers racing neck to neck at Daytona, we Americans love our cars.  We all remember the fear and excitement before the first road test when we turned 17.  We remember the first speeding ticket and riding around in the summertime with the windows down.  But for the first time since Henry Ford built the first widely manufactured automobile, our love of cars is being threatened.  There is no doubt our vehicles emit incredible amounts of pollution.  Not to mention the price of gas is at a point that makes us dread a long drive.  It’s time to make a shift towards a more efficient engine.  So far, most of the research and development has focused on electric vehicles.  The buzz of an electric motor just doesn’t get my blood flowing.  It doesn’t bring back memories of the first time I started up my new truck.  If anything, it reminds me of my little sisters pink Barbie jeep.  It’s no question that the “wizzing” noise of a five-year-olds Barbie jeep doesn’t make us excited about our cars, but we have to be more responsible, right?  While a sustainable vehicle is the ultimate goal, our current technology is not capable of creating one.  In fact, due to the combustion needed to make an engine run, fully sustainable vehicles may never be possible.  However, we can make our vehicles as green as possible.  We can keep pollution to a minimum.  We need to take care of our environment.  We need more diesel engines.

 

1.       Torque: The speed of the rotational parts of engine components.  The more torque, the more power is transmitted to the wheels.  Therefore, a car with more torque has more pulling power and more acceleration. 

2.       Horsepower: A measurement of mechanical work at 550 ft/lbs per second, originally calculated to compare mechanical power to the amount of work a literal horse could do in the same time.

3.       MPG: Miles Per Gallon, an estimate of how far a vehicle can travel on a single gallon of fuel, usually measured in various common driving conditions, the most common being city and highway. MPG is generally lower in the city due to frequent acceleration and braking.

© 2013 michaelandrew


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
Added on September 29, 2013
Last Updated on September 29, 2013
Tags: Environment, Nature, Global, Warming, Diesel, Fuel, Black, Smoke, Solution

Author

michaelandrew
michaelandrew

NJ



About
I'm a college student majoring in business with a finance concentration. I have a passion for writing. I enjoy arguing politics, studying the brain, reading, and long walks on the beach at sunset. more..

Writing