She's not mummy

She's not mummy

A Chapter by Lost in Wonderland

  Alice's point of veiw....

    May 31st. The tearing calendar stared back at me with such a calm authority that I could not help but accept the date. It had been exactly one year since mother died. That meant we didn't have to waer black anymore (Browyn was quite happy, especially since she didn't understand why we had to wear it in the first place) and my father could ind another woman if he wanted. I doubted he would, what girl would want a drunkard like him? And I know when he was occasionally sober, he still missed his Sarah. Looking back, as I found myself doing on rare occasions, I had not cried once since that say I died my hair. Instead I had become a numb shell, only forcing a smile for little Browyn. But alas, even she senses my change. But I must remind myself, its for the best.

    Ideally, being 16, I should have been parading about in some fancy dress with rouge on my cheeks trying to catch some boys eye. Most girls my were getting married or attempting to. But no, not I, I was assuming all my mother’s old tasks. Cooking, cleaning, shopping, sewing and tutoring my little sister. The last part I didn’t mind so much. When I taught my little sister how to read, it meant we could escape our dreary little world for a while.

    Honestly, if mother hadn’t died I would not be giving marriage any thought. I didn’t want to be tied down and forced to submit by any man and be responsible for the safety and well being of children. But it seemed I was doing the same thing, and without much help at all from the “man” of the house.

    Walking along the cobble stone streets I allowed myself a small smile. If I ever do get married, I shall take Browyn with me. Perhaps then we shall have a happy life…Happiness… it seemed a dream that was an eternity away.

    Shaking the thought out of my head, I reached the market square just as the clock chimed 9:00 a.m. I went through my usual routine: get the bread first, then cheese and rice. Inspect the fruit carefully to make sure not all of it is rotten. “Use that sweet little smile of yours to see if you can get a better price”. That was my father’s oh so loving advice that surprisingly worked a bit more than I thought it would. Though I thought it was just pity for my loss that urged people to take off a shilling from the price.

    When I was finished and making my back to our cottage I heard two familiar giggles. I turned to see two girls, one petite one with long, straight blond hair and hazel eyes, the other was tall and curvy with flowing red hair and freckles all around her nose.

    “Hello Lillian, Katherine.” I mumbled at the girls who used to be my best friends. Many of the people I loved abandoned me when my mother died. I suppose it was my fault, for those first few weeks I didn’t say a word to any of them. Only Belle and Anthony had remained loyal to me.

    “Hello Alice.” Katherine sneered and Lillian giggled. What in the world was so funny to them?

    “Is there something you need?” I asked, rolling my eyes.

    “No, we’ll just let you get home to you family, and your father’s…friend.” They both burst out in a fit of giggles and I pushed past the. What did they mean my father’s “friend”? And the way they said it…surely the didn’t mean….

     I ran home, panting heavily.

    “Ally!” Browyn cried, running into my arms. I picked her up and cradled her sobbing figure close.

     “Shh, what’s wrong little one?” I cooed. Browyn snuggled her head in the crook of my neck. I rubbed her back soothingly and scanned our lot for father.

    “Sh-she’s not mummy Ally! Why is she here?”

    “Who’s not mummy?” I asked nervously. My sister pointed angrily towards the front door. I set her down and rushed inside.

    “Father?” I called. No answer. “Father?” Then I heard it. A low moan and a small thud. I went to his room, flung the door open and gasped.

    My father had some young lady pinned against the wall, kissing her lips, her cheek her ear hungrily. She had her pale arms around his neck and pressed her lips to his neck. Another disgusting moan escaped his chapped lips. Her hair was like a wild fire, curling this way and that, consuming herself and my father in the flames.

    “Father!” I screamed, tears running down my face for the first time in months. How dare he, how dare he kiss another woman in the room where he and my mother slept. This is what my 7 year old sister had walked in on?

    “Alice I-” he tried, but I cut him off with a slap to the face. His little “friend” who looked only 5 years older than me just smirked at me and kissed my father’s red cheek. His gaze locked on hers, entranced. A sob wracked through me and I fled to my room.

    I cried into my pillow for twenty minutes before I felt her small, soft hands petting my hair.

    “It’s okay Ally. Please don’t cry!” Little Browyn sniffed. Drying my damp cheeks, I hugged her close, burying my nose in her hair. I sighed.

    “I’m sorry little one. I know it will be okay. I just need some time…”

    “Ally.” She started hesitantly.

“Yes?”

    “I miss mummy.” She mumbled.

    I took a deep breath. “I miss her too, little one.”

    “When will she come back home Ally?”

   I looked at my sweet, darling little sister with hope alight in her eyes, as well as despair. I smoother her lovely auburn hair and leaned my forehead against hers, sighing. “I don’t know little one. I just don’t know…”
_________________________________________________________________



© 2012 Lost in Wonderland


Author's Note

Lost in Wonderland
Sorry that this is a short chapter. Reviews and qritiques are always welcome:) God Bless and thank you for reading <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

UGH! Now I have to read on!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

Don't worry, I'm updating today:) thanks for the reviews! God blesd
OMG! Now addicted, like usual I get hooked to stories, lol.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

haha i get easily addicted to stories too. thanks for the review, I'll update soon:) God Bless
Yeah a bit rushed at the end,....but a good chapter. I feel so sorry for her little sister, poor thing must be scarred for life. Good job describing the woman's hair...I wonder if she's the Queen of hearts....Look forward to reading more!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 5, 2012
Last Updated on July 5, 2012
Tags: Drama, Affair, Heart Break, Loss, Betrayal, Love, Fantasy, Family


Author

Lost in Wonderland
Lost in Wonderland

In the clouds, Where dreams are found



About
My name is Mickey:) I have a facbook page:) Please like it if you want more..

Writing