The Knight

The Knight

A Chapter by Lost in Wonderland

    A roar of thunder awoke Johanna in the very early hours of the morning. She squeezed her heavy eyes shut and buried her face into the soft pillow. Lazily, she tried to roll over in her sleep, but something caught her.   Cautiously, she tugged at her arms and stiffened.

    Something was wrong.

    Someone had tied her to the bed.

    Her eyes shot open as she sat up as much as she could. A dark figure sat in a new chair a few feet away from her. Fear gripped her heart under the intense stare of Lord Malcolm.

    “M’lord!” Johanna exclaimed, “What is the meaning of this? Please, un-tie me!”

    Lord Malcolm continued to stare at her, “Forgive me for disturbing you, miss Elizabeth,” he said as he rose from his seat, “ or should I say, Lady Johanna Barns.” His thin nose, hovered mere inches above her own.

    She glowered at him. “Who told you?”

    “I believe the man your looking for is me.” Johanna turned to face this new voice. A tall, handsome man emerged from the shadows. His hair was black as raven feathers, his eyes a deep, dark indigo. His chest and arms were strong and tan. A small scar on his prominent cheek bone was the only imperfection he held. But it was not his intimidating stance that frightened Johanna.

    No, it was his voice.

    The voice she trembled at only hours ago: “We don’t go back to the our master until we find her! Ride harder, men!”

    The knight strode toward her and bowed slightly, giving her a small grin. “Hello again, m’lady. I am sir Lucas Austen.”

    Johanna scowled and spit in his face.

    Lucas chucked, and wiped his hand over his forehead. “Ah, m’lady, it won’t do you any good testing my patience.” He murmured kindly, as if he were an old friend, but his long finger wrapped around her delicate, ivory neck applying only enough pressure to make her gasp.

    Instantly she clamped her lips shut.

    “There’s a good girl.” He smiled and dropped his hands.

    Lord Malcolm spoke at this, “Now Lady Johanna, Sir Lucas shall keep watch over you as we…” he paused to think of a proper word, “negotiate with your intended., Lord Anthony Williams.” Malcolm sneered the name, as if it tasted bad in his mouth, “ Lucas is one of my most trusted men. So there will be no trickery. Yes?”

    She scoffed, “A guard? Really, m’lord? Does that not seem a bit… extensive? I am but a helpless girl! What harm can I do you?”

    “Well,” he replied slowly, “You did manage to out run my fastest horses… for a little while at least.” His eyes assessed her angry face, “You seem rebellious, m’lady. And I can’t be to careful. By next month at the latest,” Malcolm locked eyes with Johanna, “Your Lord’s castle shall be mine.”

    A month? Johanna groaned. How stupid she had been! Thinking she could somehow trick these people. Her opponent was obviously no fool.

    “You shall keep a close eye on her, Lucas?” Lord Malcolm asked, turning toward his friend.

    “Of course.” Lucas nodded with and easy smile, and the young Lord left the knight and his prisoner alone.

    For a long time they just stared at each other. Lucas taking in the very prize he had been after; the Malcolm’s sworn enemy’s fiancé. Her long arms, her fierce violet eyes framed by a delicate face. Her thick, wavy, chocolate hair. Other than the determination in her gaze, she looked harmless and weak like every other girl he had met. A little younger than himself; 16 maybe 17. How he had escaped him the first time, he knew not. Why was she even out alone in the woods in the first place? He wondered, cocking his head and shaking it a little. She had him confused, he’d give her that.

    “Stop looking at me like that.” She snapped, glancing down. For the first time, He noticed genuine fear in her eyes. Softening just a bit, he turned away and sat down in the chair Gregory had brought in.

    Johanna let out a humorless laugh, “He really intends to have you watch me every moment of every day.”

    “Yes.”

    “And do you truly think it necessary?”

    Lucas pursed his lips. “I know not,” he said after a few seconds, “but Lord Gregory is very intent on taking down your Anthony. After all,” he looked deep into her eyes, “He did kill Gregory’s father.” He crossed himself.

    Johanna stiffened. The man she was supposed to marry was a killer? Of course she should not have been surprised. All young lords were expected to fight against their enemy. And the late Lord Malcolm was his enemy…

    “I did not know that.” she whispered. “Is that what started this feud?”

    “ No, it started long before that. Before I was even born. But Gregory never really cared about it until his father died. They were very close.”

    “I see…” Johanna mumbled awkwardly. She honestly didn’t know what else to say.

    “But tell me, Lady Johanna,” Lucas said with a mischievous smile, “do you think it necessary for me to guard you?” He cocked one black eyebrow.

    Johanna stared silently forward, refusing to answer.

    “All right then,” Lucas said with a shrug, “we shall just have to find out on our own.” He settled more comfortably into his chair and fixed his eyes on her.

Johanna stretched out her now aching fingers, trying to keep her circulation flowing. The ropes rubbed her wrists raw.

    She grimaced at the sting, and sighed wearily, “If your really going to sit in that old chair all night, then will you at least cut my bonds. I am obviously not going to leave.”

    Lucas stared at her hard, silently warning her not to try anything funny. Slowly, her rose from his seat and brought out and gleaming, silver dagger. Johanna held her breath as he held the deadly sharp weapon over her head. With one fluid motion of the blade, the ropes fell onto her pillow. Johanna looked him in the eyes, waiting for him to back away before she dared to speak.

    Eventually he went back to his seat. Johanna let out a breath. “Thank you…” she said, rubbing her wrists absently.

    Lucas gave her a single nod. “Get some sleep.” He instructed. “It’s likely you won’t have such a comfortable room tomorrow.” And with that, he leaned back in his chair and continued watching her.

    Johanna stifled a groan. Even though she knew it was idiotic, part of her had still hoped he would have leaved so she could make her escape. Longingly, she gazed at the small door so close to her… she would only have to take 15 fast steps…

    Lucas read the expression in her face, and shook his head threateningly, “Don’t even think about it.” She sighed in defeat and shifted in the bed so her back faced the knight. Closing her tired eyes she thought, Well it looks like I’m not going home tonight.

* * *

    Dim morning light flowed through the small window in Johanna’s room, waking her up from a deep sleep. She squinted against the dull brightness and stretched her arms out wide- then stiffened. All the events from lat night came flooding back to her memory. Gingerly, she looked over her shoulder, expecting to see Lucas still staring at her. But what really saw made her mouth drop open in surprise.

    All that stood in her room was an empty chair.

    Lucas was not there!

    Thinking fast, Johanna leaped out of bed and pulled on her cape, letting the hood hide her face. And then her eyes caught the real prize. The silver dagger rested partially hidden by a leg of the chair. Quickly, she grabbed it.

    She eased the door open and peered out carefully. Looking left then right to make sure the coast was clear. Seeing no one, Johanna slid out of her room, keeping close to the wall. A foot step stopped her heart for a moment. With a sigh of relief, she waited for the maid to pass, then started to run. But a strong had grabbed her elbow and spun her around. She heard something clatter to the floor. An apple hit her bare foot.

    “What are you doing?” Lucas shouted in surprise.

    “I’m getting out of here!” Johanna pulled out the dagger and swung at him. Lucas barely dodged it as he let go of her arm. She thrust the blade forward again, aiming for his chest, but she had lost the element of surprise. He caught her wrist and pulled her hand around her own neck.

    Johanna was trapped, with one of Lucas’ arms constricting her waist, the other forcing her own had and dagger against her throat. She struggled against his hold, crying out and kicking him hard. With her one free had she dug her nails into his leg.

    Lucas pressed the blade harder against her neck , “Drop the dagger, stop struggling, and get back into your room Lady Johanna.” She opened her hand, and her weapon clattered to the floor. Lucas shoved her roughly into her room. She fell to the ground.

    “I just went to get you some food because I thought you might be hungry and I felt sorry for you.” He growled, towering over Johanna. “But apparently I cannot leave you for two minutes without you trying to run away from me again.”

    Tears flowed from Johanna’s hooded eyes. Standing on shaky feet, she moved closer to Lucas. “I’m sorry…” She said, small voice quivering, “I didn’t want to hurt anyone.” She dragged her gaze up, slow and seductive, until she was staring into his eyes. “I just hate feeling unwanted. Alone.” She brought one of her hands to the tip of her night gown’s low neckline; with the other, she played with Lucas’ dark hair. “I just wish I had a friend here.” She murmured, tilting her chin up.

    Lucas lowered his head until his lips were almost touching Johanna’s. She could taste his cool breath.

    “Now, now m’lady,” he whispered huskily, “many a women have tried to seduce me before,” he brought his mouth to her ear, “and they didn’t want to kill me.” He gave her a light, mocking kiss on the cheek. “Try harder next time, my dear.”

    Johanna groaned in frustration. “What then?” she screamed, losing her scared little girl façade, “What do you want from me? Money? Do you want money? Trust me if you let me go now, I will give you a chest full of gold! Or land? I can get you a large portion of land. Enough room for a small castle. Please just tell me what it will take for you to let me go.”

    Lucas laughed darkly, “You really think I’m going to take a bribe?”

    Johanna shrugged and gave him an icy stare, “I’m just trying to help you. I will get out of here. With or without you.”

    “Even if that were possible,” he said in exasperation, “I would not betray Gregory for all the money in the world. I’ve grown up with him. Fought along side him since I was twelve. Eight years worth of battle with a man defiantly strengthens your bonds. He is like a brother to me.”

    Johanna got nose to nose with him, but this time there was nothing flirtations about it, only pure malice. “You know, if I didn’t loath you so immensely right now,” she hissed, “I might like your level of loyalty.” She laughed sarcastically, “If only you weren’t using it to harm a defenseless women!”

    “Defenseless?” he scoffed, rolling his eyes at the strong willed girl in front of him. “Defenseless? Really? Says the one who pulled a knife on a trained knight. Who, I might add, has been ordered to torture you upon any misbehavior.” He shook his head, snickering, and knotted his hand in Johanna’s mass of hair. She winced in pain, but continued to stare him down defiantly. “No,” he murmured, “no, m’lady you are certainly not defenseless.” He held her there for a moment longer then threw her to the ground.

    Johanna landed on the cold floor with a thud. Pain radiated throughout her head. She bit her lip to keep from crying; not because it hurt- she was used to that- but because she was so tired of all these men treating her like a worthless sack of flower. Tossing her here, pushing her there. Would it be this way the rest of her life? She hoped not.

    After she collected herself, Johanna rose slowly, not facing Lucas. She refused to look weak in front of him if it wasn’t a trick. It’s not like he would help her anyway.

    Lucas stared at her tensed back, cocking his head. What had he done to suddenly quiet her? Why now had she lost her will? Because he pushed her? That wasn’t her response the first time. Lucas sighed; she really was the most confusing person he’d ever met.

    “M’lady,” he said, taking a small step toward her. She did not turn, only squared her shoulders, clenched her jaw and lifted her chin. “Listen, I do not aim to hurt you, m’lady. I have been instructed to watch of over you, not harm you, unless necessary. So,” he said firmly, “do not make it necessary.”

    She was about to scream that she would never stop trying to leave this palace, how she wouldn’t be controlled when a young servant knocked once and entered. Johanna and Lucas turned to face him.

    “Sir Lucas, M’lady,” he nodded in greeting, “Lord Malcolm has informed me that we shall be riding to the northern border with Lady Johanna in three days time. We shall meet the Williams there and negotiate the trade of her with them.”

*  *  *

________________________________________________________________________



© 2012 Lost in Wonderland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You should publish the next one. Your writing is so enchanting I was memorized from the start. Continue this series, please, I beg you!!! LOL

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

aw thank you so much:) God Bless
-Lost in Wonderland
Reminds me of the Maximum Ride books - her strong, determined, independent spirit - but better. Yes, better than a published book series. Very good, my dear.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 20, 2012
Last Updated on March 27, 2012


Author

Lost in Wonderland
Lost in Wonderland

In the clouds, Where dreams are found



About
My name is Mickey:) I have a facbook page:) Please like it if you want more..

Writing