Milly's Journal - Chapter 5  "First Day Nerves/Mystery of Windowsill Boy Revealed"

Milly's Journal - Chapter 5 "First Day Nerves/Mystery of Windowsill Boy Revealed"

A Chapter by Milly's Journal
"

Milly's first day of school/finds out about boy next door.

"

Milly's Journal

 

Chapter 5

"First Day Nerves/Mystery of Windowsill Boy Revealed"

 

(Please be sure to read the Footnotes at the end of this chapter. It should be of help to you to understand certain things I write about.)
















Milly nervous on her first day of school.

 

Hi Dad, 

I have some good news for you! We're still alive! Yea we all survived our big first day. Louis and me at school and Mom at work.

 

Though this morning was nothing but a madhouse here!

 

First, all three of us overslept! Something we usually never do! (But with all of us up late last night working, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.) Thank goodness Mom finally woke up and came running to our bedrooms yelling at us to get up, that we were late! I happened to be in a deep sleep when she woke me up that for a second I wondered if I might've been dreaming. But I forced my eyes open to look at the clock, and it was getting close to 9:00!! We were going to be an hour late! Our schools start classes at 8:00 and I think Mom needed to be at work at 7:30. So she was even later than we were!

 

I jumped out of bed, grabbed some clothes as quickly as I could and made a mad dash for the bathroom - almost crashing into Louis on the way. Even Max was going crazy with all of us shouting at each other to "HURRY UP!!" as we were racing from room to room gathering our stuff together. I even saw him running off with Louis's shirt in his mouth! Louis was chasing him down the hall fussing angerly at him because he got "dog slobber" all over it!

 

Dad if you were here and had seen us this way, you would've been laughing like crazy at us! I'm sure we were a hilarious sight to see!

 

About ten to fifteen minutes later, we locked Max up in the house, jumped into the car and Mom backed out of the driveway. And Dad, she didn't even stop to look both ways before going into the street! (Yeah, bad, bad!! I know, but thankfully the road was clear at the time. However I did yell at her and told her someone could've come around the corner and smashed into us.)

 

Mom was gripping the steering wheel in a panic as she floored it and headed first to Louis's Elementary School. I screamed at her to "SLOW DOWN" because we were going way over the speed limit in a residential area!

 

Thankfully she took a deep breath and released pressure off the pedal a little and the car returned to the proper speed limit.

 

I knew Mom was still very upset and in a panic for being so late...we all were. So I reached over and gently put my hand on her arm and reminded her of the advice she herself has told me and Louis over and over again ever since we left our old home. To take things one step at a time, and that we were all going to be okay.

 

Mom looked over at me for a second and smiled. Even though she didn't say anything back to me, I could see in her eyes that she was telling me "thank you."

 

I looked behind me at Louis in the back seat. He was smiling at both Mom and me as well.  Once again I felt this love for my little brother come over me, so I smiled back at him and said to him, "We're all going to be okay...aren't we Louis?"

 

His smile grew a little bigger as he nodded his head and gave me a very bold sounding "Yeah!"

 

I reached back, put my hand on his knee and gave it a gentle squeeze.

 

Dad, I know that many times we see ourselves getting scared and failing at things in life. Especially on days that start out like this one did. But we need to remember, we all have each other to lean on. We're a family. And being a family means we need to trust each other..that we will help each other during the hard times so we can pull through. The love, support, and faith of a family can really help bring you peace when you need it the most. (And Dad I know I mentioned something like this when I wrote you the other night, but I feel that sometimes things like this can and should be repeated.)

 

Since Louis's school isn't too far from where we live, it didn't take long at all to get there. In fact, after today, as long as the weather is nice, we'll probably walk to and from school. Especially with Mom having to go to work earlier and staying later than we do, she wouldn't be able to drive us anyway.

 

Louis jumped out of the car, came to my side of the window and reached his hand out for Mom to give him his lunch money. She was about to get out of the car to help him find his classroom when he started insisting that he'd rather go alone and that he wanted to find his room himself. I could tell Mom wasn't really feeling comfortable with that so she thought that maybe I could go with him. I guess she thought that maybe he didn't want to be seen walking down the school hallway with his Mom, but that maybe he'd feel better going with his sister instead.

 

But he was still persistent that he really wanted to go alone, reminded us that we were very late, and kept saying it was no problem.

 

I wish you could have seen him Dad. He was being so cute...acting like he was all grown up when he's only in third grade! But in a way it's like he really is growing up! And growing up too fast! As adorable as he can be sometimes, I wish there was a way he could stay eight years old forever. But I try to remember to hold on to and cherish times like this because the years seem to go by so quickly nowadays. Next thing you know, he's going to be a teenager...and maybe driving himself to school. (Although I'm going to hopefully be driving to school long before he will. Ha ha!)

 

Anyway, Mom was finally convinced that it was okay to let Louis go by himself. I knew he was just thrilled about this! I leaned out the window and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek as Mom started the car. She hollered back at him to be good because first days of school count.

 

I waved goodbye to him and Mom pulled back out into the street. We were then on our way to Taft High School.

 

I turned and looked back at Louis and he was walking towards the big school building in front of him. I wondered how he really might be feeling. I hope he wasn't too scared.

 

But Daddy I have to tell you that he looked so cute but also so tiny being all alone like that going into that huge building. If we only had thought to bring a camera...it would've been a great picture!

 

My school is only about a mile away from Louis's school so luckily we arrived there pretty quickly before it got even later.

 

As Mom pulled up to the school's entrance, I felt my stomach go into huge, twisting knots. The school, like Louis's looks so huge! And I was going to go inside and not know anyone at all! Believe it or not, I was feeling so nervous I was beginning to wish that Geneva was going here with me. But of course she wasn't so I was feeling very alone. I almost didn't want to get out of the car I was so nervous. But I knew it was time to go, so I reached over and gave Mom a big hug goodbye as she was telling me to have a good day.

 

I grabbed my bookbag and got out of the car. I leaned down to the window and let Mom know I would be thinking about her at her first day of work. She smiled, waved, and pulled out into the street. She then turned the corner and was gone.

 

I stood for a second and stared at my new High School in front of me. I realized how quiet it was as I was standing there. It was almost like the whole place was deserted. But of course that was because classes were already in session.

 

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the slip of paper that listed my classes and room numbers on them. I took a deep breath and headed towards the school's front door.

 

Inside the school's hallways were just about as quiet as it was outside. Except for hearing a few voices of different teachers and the tapping noise of chalk on blackboards, the silence that surrounded me when I was looking for my first class was quite eerie.

 

After searching room numbers down two or three hallways, I finally found the  matching number on the door that was listed at the top of the paper I was holding. Knowing that class had already started about an hour ago, I really didn't want to go in. In fact, I honestly felt like running away as fast as I could and hide out in the library or something. In my last school, being tardy was just something I never did! And now going into a class this late when none of the students knew who I was....yes Dad, I was terrified!!! The butterflies and knots in my stomach were getting stronger and more painful, and I felt like I was going to be sick! But I knew I had to go in sometime. So I took another deep breath, put my hand on the doorknob, opened it and went in.

 

After I was inside, I tried to be as quiet as I could so I closed the door gently so I wouldn't disturb the class. And also I didn't want to get too much attention.

 

Suddenly I heard a voice that seemed to come in my direction say, "Hello, you must be Amelia."

 

It was the voice of my new teacher, Mrs. Sherman.

 

After everyone in the class heard her say my name, they all turned around...and then ALL eyes were on no one else but me!

 

Daddy I started feeling so small and very shy at that moment that I almost could've run right back out the door! I mean, what were all these kids thinking when they saw me? Not only was I new to them, I was a new student who on their first day was tardy!

 

I tried not to think about all of those big eye glaring right at me and focused on the teacher instead. I forced a smile, which was a little hard to do with the tremendous anxiety that I was still feeling all over me as I told her that yes...I was "Amelia."

 

She motioned at me to come on in and pointed to one of the empty desks in the middle of the room where I was going to be sitting.

 

I slowly started walking forward towards the middle aisle, still feeling all of the piercing stares that were locked hard onto me and sat down.

 

Mrs. Sherman introduced me too the class as "Amelia Michaelson," said that I was a new student, and added that she hoped that everyone would make me feel very welcome.

 

I started looking around at the kids sitting beside me. A few were still looking at me, their expressions on their faces were more like they weren't sure what they thought of me. No one smiled, which only made me to continue to feel quite uneasy.

 

Mrs. Sherman started back into her lesson she was teaching when I first walked in which was the story of "Romeo and Juliet."

 

I still kept scanning the flood of new faces all around me. Once the lesson started up again, everyone finally lost interest in me and mainly started doing their own thing. I could tell most everyone was bored to death and had no interest in the story. Some kids were passing notes, some even put their heads down on their desks to go to sleep, and some girls who were right beside me were reading a teen magazine while blowing bubblegum. I don't blame them though...I'd much rather be reading a teen mag right now than a story like "Romeo and Juliet." (Sorry Dad!)

 

The rest of the school day went fine. Actually the inside of the school  is kind of similar to my old High School so I was relieved when I was able to find the rest of my classes, as well as places like the main office, lunch room, gym..etc. pretty easily. I was also able to calm my nerves down till my stomach felt better about after an hour. I think after I get completely used to the changes, I might get to really like my new school!

 

I did talk to a few people though throughout the day. A few came up to me and said "Hi," introduced themselves, asked where I moved from and things like that. But I know that making new friends can take some time as the kids get to know me better.

 

It being the first school day for me made the day go by quite slowly. So when the final bell rang at the end of the day, I was more than ready to go home. I was also really eager to find out how Louis and Mom's day went.

 

Since I know Mom was going to still be at work, I was going to have to walk home. But that was okay. I was wanting to get some fresh air anyway and see more sights of our new town. I knew I had to walk to Louis's  school to meet him and then we'd walk the rest of the way home together. I was pretty grateful it was only about a mile away.

 

When I arrived at his school, I stood at the entrance gate and searched through the crowd of loud, rowdy children running around for the sight of my little brother.

 

For a few seconds I couldn't find him. So many children were either racing to get on their school bus, or to their waiting parents. Many were also just playing games in the schoolyard, yelling and chasing each other around. Some were climbing the Jungle Gyms. As usual, children at Elementary Schools at the end of the day often have to release their pent up energy they had held inside of them while being cooped up in classes all day. But was Louis running around and playing with any of these kids? I couldn't find him at all among any of those wild and noisy children.

 

After a few more seconds, I finally spotted that familiar little face of my brother sitting on the steps that led to the front door of the school. He was by himself and just sadly watching all of the other kids as they played.

 

He never noticed I was standing there so I loudly called out his name and waved my hand in the air for him to see me.

 

He heard me right away, grabbed his bookbag and came running over to where I was waiting at the gate. I greeted him and gave him a quick one armed hug. He actually sounded happy to see me. To be honest, I kind of missed the little guy after being away from him for seven hours...as shocking as that may be Dad!

 

As we turned and started our walk home, I asked him how his day went. I wasn't too surprised when he answered me with an "Eh..it was alright." Because that was really how I was feeling about my first day as well.

 

I asked him about his teacher and if he made any new friends. And Dad, it was the same as it was with me. He told me his teacher was just "okay" and that none of the kids seemed to want to talk to him.

 

I put my arm around him as we continued our walk home and let him know that my day went about the same as his did, and that not many kids wanted to talk to me either. He looked up at me with a surprised look on his face. I guess he thought he was the only one who was having trouble making new friends. I smiled and reassured him that it was okay that we didn't make any new friends on the first day, and that after some time, we'll have a bunch of new friends to have fun with after they get to know us.

 

We then both started talking about how hungry we were getting so we began walking faster so we could get home.

 

As we were about home, Louis looked up at me and said, "Guess what?" Of course I wasn't sure what he was going to say next so I asked him with a playful tone in my voice.."What?"

 

With a huge angry frown, he grumbled out the words, "My teacher gave me homework already!"

 

Dad, he was so adorable with the way he said it! I just had to laugh and give him another quick hug. He's just so cute sometimes! It just makes me love him even more!

 

As we got to the house, the car was still gone from the driveway of course. Mom was still at work and we weren't sure what time she was going  to be home.

 

As we went inside, Max came running and jumping up on both Louis and me acting overly thrilled to see us. His tail was wagging so fast it was almost a blur he was so happy! After being locked up in the house alone all day, he was overjoyed to finally see a human being again.

 

I decided it would be good if I started fixing dinner so it would be ready when Mom got back home. Can you guess what I fixed?

 

Spaghetti!! Remember Dad? I learned how to make it when I was about eleven or twelve years old. It's not that hard, if I was careful with the stove and such. And we could have toast on the side.

 

After a few minutes of cleaning up a bit, I went to the kitchen to start preparing for the meal.

 

Louis was bored out of his mind and pacing around the kitchen while complaining about how hungry he was. No way did he want to wait for the spaghetti to be ready. I firmly kept having to tell him that he had to wait because we weren't going to eat until Mom got home.

 

Finally, to get him to calm down, I agreed to let him have a cracker or two and a glass of milk to help quiet his growling stomach.

 

I actually was tempted to eat the whole box of crackers myself as I was just as hungry as he was. But I decided to just drink a little milk instead.

 

After Louis finished his snack, he told me he wanted to go outside and play with his toy soldiers. I told him it was okay for him to go and to take Max outside with him so he could get some fresh air too.

 

About an hour and a half passed as I waited for the noodles and sauce to finish cooking. I realized that Louis was still outside playing and Mom had still not come home yet. I was able to come to a stopping point with the food, so I decided to go outside and see what Louis was up to. I already had a feeling he was going to only be playing with his soldiers as usual, but I was ready to get a little more fresh air myself.

 

I found him out in the backyard with Max digging around in his graveyard he had built for his toys. I still never really understood why he always seemed to like burying his soldiers. Because once he buried them, he would just leave them there. It's just an unusual way that he likes to play his war games.

 

As I went over to him, he was on his knees digging a new hole in the dirt. So I asked him if he was starting a new graveyard.
















Milly and Louis talking out in the backyard.

 

He got up on his feet, took off his hat, held it to his chest and looked sadly at the new hole he had finished covering up. He told me, "yes" and that "the Duke" had just gotten killed.

 

Dad even though he was referring to his toys, it was kind of sad in a way. I know his Duke toy was one of his favorites out of all of his soldiers. It was also a little surprising that he would want to bury one that he would always play with the most. Because once he buried any of his soldiers, he wouldn't even dig them up later. He would always leave them there, with no desire to even want to play with them again.

 

I put my hands on his shoulders and comforted him. He started telling me some of what went on with his toys, how the one he had just buried "was a good man, he just got careless, and that a sniper got him."

 

Even though all of this was him just only using his imagination, he acted so serious. Something about his sadness and what he was doing seemed real to me...not pretend. And since all of this started with him shortly after your funeral, I have a feeling this could be something going on deep inside of him that needs to be dealt with. But I wish I could fully understand. What is really going on with him Dad?

 

Louis turned to look up at me and said with a serious tone in his voice that "we have to be careful in this war."

 

Dad when he said that, it was like something leaped inside of me, letting me know that I should really pay attention to what he had just said. It's like what's inside of him is a war going on that he needs to overcome. Some obstacle he needs to get through. I'm starting to feel even more concerned for Louis, Dad.

 

Anyway, I thought that maybe it would do him good to get his mind of his soldier games for awhile, so I suggested that he could go inside and set the table for dinner. I knew Mom was going to be coming home any minute now so I also figured having the table set and dinner ready would be a big blessing to her.

 

Not long after we went inside we heard Mom's car pull into the driveway. Both Louis and I were just about finished getting everything on the table so it turned out to be great timing. The spaghetti and everything else was hot and ready to serve.

 

When Mom came in the house she greeted us with a happy sounding "Hi!" It sounded to me like she was in a fairly good mood, so I was eager to find out how her day went. And I, and I'm sure Louis too were very eager to tell her about our day also.

 

It was really nice Dad. For the first few minutes as we were getting the last bit of food ready and onto the table, all three of us were telling each other about our day...like we used to do every evening when we sat down for dinner.

 

Mom asked us what our teachers were like. Louis answered by grumbling again about how his teacher gave him homework already, and I told her a little bit about Mrs. Sherman. I also let Mom know that I think she's going to be a really great teacher.

 

I then asked Mom how her day went. And it was a little odd when she told us that she too has homework. I mean...homework?? On her first day at her job? I never really expected her to say it that way. But she explained to us how the entire insurance business is now run by computers. She told us that the first thing they did was put her in front of a computer, and she had absolutely no idea how to work one. It was making all these crazy sounds and the screen was flashing all sorts of error messages till she just had to turn the computer off.

 

Dad, all three of us were laughing at her humiliating experience as she was telling us the story. I could just picture Mom in my mind as this was happening. And let me tell you it was a funny sight to imagine.

 

But I will admit I felt a bit sorry for her too. I'm sure she was very embarrassed. I asked her if anyone came to help her out. She said that someone tried to explain it to her and show her how it worked. But it was just too hard for her to understand. It was more like they were speaking another language. So for now, they have her working on a trial basis till she is able to figure it out. They also sent home with her a whole carload of books for her to study which is what she meant by having "homework."

 

But on a positive note, Mom also told us she feels she's going to be alright. And that she's really going to try her best and work hard so she can learn how to use that computer. I'm sure she will! She's smart, isn't she Dad? I trust she's going to be great at it! Maybe she'll end up being able to teach me and Louis how to work one. Because I would just LOVE to know how to use a computer. And I'm pretty sure Louis would too! Just think of the video games he could play on it!

 

Anyway, I really do feel that Mom is going to be just fine and will more than likely be a computer pro in no time!

 

But the most interesting thing we ended up talking about tonight at dinner was about the boy next door. (Yea Dad, the "windowsill boy.")

 

I found out a few things about him while I was at school. Actually he's in my class, but he doesn't participate like the rest of us does. He sits in the back of the classroom by himself. I noticed him shortly after I first walked in. I thought he looked like the same boy, but I couldn't understand why he was sitting back there alone. Also during the times when Mrs. Sherman would give us assignments to work on in class, she would go back to sit with him and talk to him for awhile. Being curious I tried to hear what she was talking about with him, but I wasn't close enough to make out what she was saying. Then during the times she would be teaching the rest of us, he would often throw paper airplanes against the wall...over, and over, and over again. The planes hitting the wall wouldn't make a loud noise of course, but it made a noise enough to be distracting...to me anyway. But none of the other kids seemed to be bothered by it or even notice it. Maybe they're used to it I guess. But then other times, if he wasn't throwing planes, he would just sit and stare straight ahead at the back wall, or at the windows. And he would continue to stare for long amounts of time without moving. But then other times he would sit with his arms out to the side while rocking rocking right to left - exactly like he would do when he's sitting on the windowsill. Clearly something is wrong with him.

 

Anyway, after class was over, Mrs. Sherman called me up to her desk for a few minutes so she could get some information from me since I was a new student.

 

While I was up there, I noticed that all of the other kids in the class were now out of the room except for this boy, who continued to sit there alone. As I was telling Mrs. Sherman what she needed to know, I found myself constantly looking over at the boy and trying to figure out why this boy was the way he was.

 

Mrs. Sherman must've seen me looking back at him often because she then started to explain to me a little about him.

 

(1) She said his name is "Eric Gibb" and he is possibly autistic. The doctors don't exactly know what all is wrong with him, but he has never spoken a word in his life and he doesn't like to be around people. Because of this, there's some institute that wants to come and take him away. But Mrs. Sherman feels he is better off living with his Uncle. She also told me that the reason he's in this class is because she used to teach those kinds of kids that are like him. (That's why she would go back and sit with him during class.) She also thinks that maybe being around normal people and (2) being in a classroom setting will help him or something.

 

I asked Mrs. Sherman where his parents were. Because since we've been here, I've never seen any adult, or even his Uncle, around anywhere. I've never seen a car in his driveway, and I could never hear any other people talking over there or anything. So this was something I was really curious about.

 

But what Mrs. Sherman told me next was quite shocking to me and extremely sad. (3) She went on to explain that when Eric was five years old, his parents went on a trip to Spain or France or someplace like that. The plane crashed and they died.

 

After she told me that, I turned and looked back at Eric and tears started to fill my eyes a little bit. Right then my heart just broke for him and I felt so badly for him. To have to go through that as a child, and to grow up without the love and care of your parents....Dad, knowing how much I'm still hurting over your death, I just can't imagine the heartbreak and trauma Eric felt when he lost both his Mom and Dad. (Turns out his Uncle is his only living relative, so that's why Eric ended up living with him.)

 

But there's more. Mrs. Sherman told me something else that is extremely unusual...and I mean extremely!!

 

(4) She explained that the moment the plane went down, Eric was alone in his room. And without anybody telling him anything, he started to pretend to fly. It's like somehow he just knew that his parents were going to crash. And the only way he could save them was by being an airplane. And he's been one ever since.

 

Mom and Louis didn't really know how to take that one in or even respond to it. Louis though just thinks that Eric has some marbles loose in his head. But with being only eight years old, I don't think he knows what autism is, let alone why a person Eric's age would still be pretending to be an airplane.

 

But Dad, even though I don't fully understand what's really wrong with Eric, I now feel just AWFUL with the way I thought about him when I first saw him sitting out on his windowsill. I wanted him to go away because he was making me feel very uncomfortable. And I feel so terrible that I had those horrible thoughts and feelings about him. Even though they were only thoughts, it makes me feel the same as if I was being mean and bullying him. I hate feeling this way!

 

Dad it makes me wonder why we sometimes think badly about people that we don't understand. I mean, Eric wasn't even hurting me or anything bad like that at all. And my thoughts were that I didn't want someone like him to be my neighbor. Why do we sometimes judge people like that before knowing what's really going on? Why? I'm feeling so ashamed and angry at myself right now. I'm so sorry Dad! SO sorry!!

 

But now that I know a little more about him, (even though I'm still quite confused at the airplane part) I feel like I'm seeing Eric in a different light. I know what it's like to be hurting when you're missing someone. And I know Eric is really missing his Mom and Dad.

 

But something really neat happened with Eric that I'm wanting to tell you about.

 

This afternoon when I was outside with Louis, after I told him to go and set the table, I suddenly heard coming from somewhere behind me the sound of windchimes starting to play as a gentle breeze had begun blowing.

 

I turned around to see where the sound of the windchimes was coming from. And there was Eric, once again sitting high up on his windowsill, both his arms stretched out to his sides as he slowly rocked from side to side. He was looking directly up into the sky, and looking like he was listening intently to the sound of the wind....his focus on nothing else but the clouds above him.

 

Dad, for some strange reason, I couldn't take my eyes off him. I was so deeply wanting to find out even more secrets about this mysterious boy. Next thing I knew, I was slowly walking towards him, looking up at him with every step I took.

 

As I was getting closer to him, to my surprise he turned, looked down and started looking at me. This time he made direct eye contact with me. Not like the first day when I saw him on the windowsill, he wouldn't look at me at all. Even when I said "Hello" to him that day, he wouldn't look in my direction.

 

But this time he was looking right at me! His eyes focused directly into mine.

 

I continued to walk past him, I too still looking right at him. I even smiled at him, but he didn't smile back. But he continued looking directly at me, watching every single move I made.

 

And Dad, I don't know what it was, but as we were both looking at each other, I felt this warmth come flooding inside of me. This time it was a good feeling. It was actually a joyful, as well as a comforting feeling. It was also kind of like something was trying to connect me to him. But what??

 

All I know is I am no longer feeling scared or creeped out by him anymore. The way he looked at me this afternoon...it was like something was drawing me to him. But why was I feeling this way about him Dad? I mean it came inside of me so strongly! Could the way I felt maybe have some sort of purpose? What could this mean? Could God be trying to tell me something?

 

Well Dad, once again it's late and I'd better get to sleep. I'm exhausted and tomorrow is another school day. So I'd better get some rest. Sure don't want to wake up late and have to go through all that again tomorrow morning.

 

But this day sure was an adventure!! I'm so blessed I'm able to tell you about it.

 

You know Dad....I'm still praying special prayers for Mom and Louis every night now. But I think I'll say a little extra prayer for Eric tonight too. I mean, I don't know anything about his Uncle who he lives with, but something is telling me that possibly no one has ever really said a prayer for Eric, you know? Because right now I'm feeling this tugging in my heart that I should go and pray for him.

 

So I'm going to end this letter so I can do that, okay Daddy? And then get some sleep.

 

I'll write more soon....

 

Until then,

I love you, Daddy! Goodnight!

-Milly

 

FOOTNOTES BY LYNN MCFALL: 

 

Several parts in this chapter were not scenes in the movie. (Although I'm thinking it might not really matter if I mention them. LOL!) But for example..The drive from home to the school, Milly walking down the hallways looking for her classroom, Milly picking up Louis at his school, walking home...etc. And Milly talking to Mrs. Sherman about Eric. Though the part where Milly tells her Mom and Louis that Mrs. Sherman talked to her and explained about Eric WAS a scene in the movie. But I meant the part where she was actually talking to Mrs. Sherman wasn't a scene. :0)

 

There was actually a scene that WAS in the movie that I decided to leave out of my story. If you've seen the movie, you should be very familiar with the scene when Louis goes into his classroom, the door slams and he says something very cute to his class. Since Milly wasn't in this scene, I couldn't figure out how to include it in this chapter so I made the decision to leave that scene out.

 

(1-4) I feel I should give credit to Nick Castle for most all of what Milly explained about Eric at the dinner table. Usually as I'm writing a line that a character says in this movie, I like to change the words around just a little instead of writing what they said word for word...But sometimes (like here that I've numbered) I really like how Milly in the movie said those parts. Enough till I just write it mostly the same way as she said it. Because of this, Nick Castle, (writer/director of The Boy Who Could Fly) should get the credit. Thank you Nick wherever you are! :0)

 

Also, Milly mentioning praying at the end wasn't in the movie either. In this story I have Milly's faith in God to come forth. In the movie, Milly's faith wasn't mentioned...if she even had a faith. (In God I mean.) :0)

 

(2) A short mention...in the movie Milly didn't mention the part about "being in a school setting." I wanted to add that part in myself. Because I read in a book not too long ago that some children with autism respond and act better in a school setting compared to being at home. It had something to do with how a classroom is in order, the way the desks are lined up, the order a teacher will do things...etc. I thought that was interesting when I first read about it so I decided to write that part in my story.

 

One quick correction: I believe in my Disclaimer that is at the start of this story I have Nick Castle being listed as the "writer and producer." I accidentally wrote him as a "producer" of the movie instead of "director." Right now I don't have time to go and edit it and fix it. So actually, Nick Castle is the "writer and DIRECTOR" of the movie! So I'll make mention of it here. Thank ya!!! ;0P



© 2010 Milly's Journal


Author's Note

Milly's Journal
I tried to split this into two chapters so it wouldn't be so long. But with the way I had it, it didn't work. Do know that Chapter 6 will be much much shorter I think. LOL! Thanks again for reading if you are. I know I'm not a professional so I know mistakes are everywhere. But I'm trying. :0)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
Added on December 3, 2010
Last Updated on December 3, 2010
Tags: The Boy Who Could Fly, Fanfiction, Movie, Letter, Journal


Author

Milly's Journal
Milly's Journal

Abingdon, VA



About
Hi, my name is Lynn McFall and I am in the process of writing a story "fanfiction type" that I would like to share with anyone who may be interested. I am writing a story based on my favorite movie "T.. more..

Writing