Without Letting Go

Without Letting Go

A Poem by C. Harter Amos

 

Without letting go
I pull the shadows of dreams around me
wrapping my loneliness in memories,
hungry for nothing other than you.
 
I count the days
        then the weeks
                  now the months
that you have pushed me to the back burner of your life again.
but I fail to blame you, I can only feel the coldness you’ve left,
knowing you’re edging the scales toward good
in every other breath you take,
taking the time to heal though you don’t think time is what you need
but needing time to heal and taking it, not selfishly at all,
until there is nothing but a smile on your face to share.
And nothing but a smile on mine as you make your way here.
I think home is what I’ve become, unrealized,
grown slowly into a warm hearth of brown stone
your heart blended with mine somehow.
 
Again, autumn leaves are all around me when I feel your loss most.
When no red maple leaves come in the mail.
 
Memories of waking too tangled with you
to know which part belonged to whom;
When your breath mingled with mine
until it was our own dream induced wine;
a veil of intoxicating lace between us.
 
 
I will not blame you,
that my breasts ache for you,
that my closed eyes see you as you were
not that long ago
in a bed that still waits
for us to join like twins in a womb,
the very silence of expectation becomes the warmth of a mother,
representing comfort, love, and the potential to bloom again, together.
 
 

© 2008 C. Harter Amos


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This poem falls into a genre. Surely you don't want to be a 'genre' person, dancing the same sad waltz again, like it was the only tune in the jukebox. The way out of the pain is through it, or as Cat Stevens once sang, "All the doors open from the side you're on." The reason I comment on the content of your poem, is that it is long established you are accomplished in the art of words. All the rest is matters of the heart...

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This poem falls into a genre. Surely you don't want to be a 'genre' person, dancing the same sad waltz again, like it was the only tune in the jukebox. The way out of the pain is through it, or as Cat Stevens once sang, "All the doors open from the side you're on." The reason I comment on the content of your poem, is that it is long established you are accomplished in the art of words. All the rest is matters of the heart...

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

a wonderful, really wonderful treasure ! This is letting go... this is how... one parting should be. I adored it. It also had a wonderful flow, all in waves and harmony. "I think home is what I’ve become, unrealized,
grown slowly into a warm hearth of brown stone
your heart blended with mine somehow." --------- I loved this part, so wonderful one, sincerely emotional writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very wistful. Full of yearning. But it is the last three lines I like the most as that is a very tender vision and there is also hope of a reblooming. '...too tangled to know...which part belonged to whom...' also a good line.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

O.K. I love the line about red maple leaves in the mail..so....coooool! When my brother was in Viet Nam I mailed him some autumn leaves. He really loved that, a piece of home in the mail, great piece here.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Unusual blend of the pain of loss, but also the hope of what seems to be coming back. I like that. Terrific lines. You write this almost as if you seen it coming...both the leaving, and the returning. Very unique. Rain..

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Memories of waking too tangled with youto know which part belonged to whom;When your breath mingled with mineuntil it was our own dream induced wine;a veil of intoxicating lace between us.

incredible spinning of lines here....I especially loved the above imagery. the whole poem is powerful and gave me that lump in the throat, ache in the soul feeling as I read it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ahhh, I've missed your words.I felt your loss, your longing. I've seen those days, too, and you described it better than I ever could have.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
8 Reviews
Added on November 9, 2008

Author

C. Harter Amos
C. Harter Amos

Lexington, SC



About
Born in the swamps of the South Carolina Low Country. Brought up on the Classics with a great deal of emphasis on music. I spent about six years at the University of South Carolina in Columbia soakin.. more..

Writing