Generically Depressed

Generically Depressed

A Poem by C. Harter Amos

 

Along the left side of my soul
I am torn beyond recognition;
Ripped and twisted and slowly decomposing.
My tears flow in silent meaningless rushes of tide
like backyard rivers in a thunderstorm;
neither massive nor much noticed.
 
Memory is packed too full;
the good memories tangled with bad
and all coated with the red clay of home
that serves to confuse what is recent .
 
Pouting doesn’t suit me well anymore;
not a moody young willow but faded, jaded,
fatigue visible like vines that hang and wilt in the sun.
Roots destructively grown
into the mortar between stones;
Roots destructively formed within these bones.
 
Without the good grace to go insane
nor the fragility to be darkly, deeply depressed;
I am only tired
and rusted with destructive thoughts
that will never help nor hinder anyone.
 
Leaning forward against the wind
I take comfort in the warmth of summer’s rains,
And pray foul ashes and dirt will soon enough blend.
 

© 2009 C. Harter Amos


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

there's some lovely imagery here.. and the line fall is opaquely beautiful through the third stanza's "grown/stone/bone," and thereafter the flow sort of ceases into a mounting use of "I" which explains things. It's the difference between showing and telling really -- words like "insane" seem almost jarring here. And "darkly, deeply, depressed" does not provide the same grace as the previous three richly beautiful stanzas; It's too obvious. There's little to experience or imagine when it's laid out... what does being deeply, darkly depressed look and feel like? If the above stanzas are already standing in for this idea, then you are repeating yourself needlessly... I think with just a bit of reworking, this could become a dark and smooth, powerful piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J.M
Fantastic imagery and very cleverly written. Not like a lot of the depression poems i've read - less raw emotion and more...fading, tiredness. This was beautifully expressed and a really nice poem to read - thanks for sharing it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Poignant indeed! This really was exceptionally done. I love how you piece this with. It touched me. Outstanding writing...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Metaphor heaven! lol This is truly stunning work friend!
Never easy to word thoughts such as these, but you have created an atmosphere that is powerful xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


for what ever reason - the first two stanzas of this piece resonate the most deeply with me...maybe they just remind me of growing up in the south - but I also loved the line "without the good grace to go insane..." all in all a deep poem. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This perfectly fits the title. The backyard rivers in thunderstorm,as unnoticed as tears running through red clay and being too sad to sort memories, but not too sad to really whine. It's why we invented whisky.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a profoundly moving piece. The images you share through the well-chosen metaphors are intensely poignant, as well as so very much relatable. I have a diag. of chronic depression...maybe because of the terminal illness, LOL.
I too take comfort in the knowledge that every day has something good in it.
I wish bright days for your future always Mim!
Great expressive write ~ Judi :-) xo


Posted 14 Years Ago


When the past wouldn't leave, o life of lyric comletes the edifice of our wail. Mimi, how are you? I This was not too dramatic and that's what I like, it wouldn*t draw me into a negative space, even every arm is cold or numb yet the body is ablaze for the now and future. How are your studies? Write me about it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


just a note to let you know that I came by looking for something new to read . . . I hope all is well with you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


there's some lovely imagery here.. and the line fall is opaquely beautiful through the third stanza's "grown/stone/bone," and thereafter the flow sort of ceases into a mounting use of "I" which explains things. It's the difference between showing and telling really -- words like "insane" seem almost jarring here. And "darkly, deeply, depressed" does not provide the same grace as the previous three richly beautiful stanzas; It's too obvious. There's little to experience or imagine when it's laid out... what does being deeply, darkly depressed look and feel like? If the above stanzas are already standing in for this idea, then you are repeating yourself needlessly... I think with just a bit of reworking, this could become a dark and smooth, powerful piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1321 Views
14 Reviews
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on September 26, 2009

Author

C. Harter Amos
C. Harter Amos

Lexington, SC



About
Born in the swamps of the South Carolina Low Country. Brought up on the Classics with a great deal of emphasis on music. I spent about six years at the University of South Carolina in Columbia soakin.. more..

Writing