BOXES

BOXES

A Poem by C. Harter Amos
"

Writers Block, my old friend, back to stay.

"

I RECOGNIZE THE FACT

I SIT IN A BOX TO WRITE.

MY WRITING IS ALSO IN A BOX.
SO I TAKE A CREATIVE WRITING COURSE
THAT HELPS ME DEFINE THE BOXES I’M BOXED IN.

NOW
I’VE MADE MY “A”
AND HAVE A NEW BOX
TO KEEP MY BOX IN.
NEW WORDS
DEFINE THE FIRST BOX,

THE 2nd BOX,

THE NEW BOX AND THE OLD.

 

I RECOGNIZE

HOW UNNECESSARY BOXES ARE,

BUT KNOW I CAN NEVER ESCAPE
THE FACT MY CREATIVE WRITING COURSE

HAS TAKEN EVERYTHING BUT THE BOXES AWAY.

 

© 2010 C. Harter Amos


Author's Note

C. Harter Amos
Love sent to the creative Mimi Murderface. Thank you, my dear satirical girl, for being a better writer in jest than I am in fact.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Boxes, wow nice poem, refreshing, had me smiling...

Posted 12 Years Ago


absolutely perfect, I hate the boxes.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is exactly the way it is. boxes...so true. love how you did this...I love this and it can be so true of conformity in general...it can zap the creativity away...

Posted 13 Years Ago


A matryuska (not sure on the spelling) of a poem. I like the idea of creative writing classes stopping creativity by forcing you into boxes. One of the most restrictive of which is separating works into different genres and not allowing for cross-overs.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I created a box...a diversion called genealogy. It pretty much zapped my writing for almost a year. Almost as effective as a baby in the house.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Poetic Voice is Announcing the first Poetic Voice Cash Prize Contest for Poetry. Awards will be given to the writers who submit for consideration the most outstanding poems within the context of Poetry and Word Art.

http://poeticvoice.ning.com/

Posted 13 Years Ago


Perfect..........writers block is such a frustrating thing, and we all go there, I think many writers do create boxes.........and having just applied for a creative writing OU course I worry it will strip the essence of what my writing is, because writing is from the soul...........and maybe nice old tutors will rob me of that and have me conform until I can't write anymore, because it is no longer my voice, but theirs.
I loved loved your words...........

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1072 Views
8 Reviews
Added on October 17, 2010
Last Updated on October 17, 2010
Tags: Too Many

Author

C. Harter Amos
C. Harter Amos

Lexington, SC



About
Born in the swamps of the South Carolina Low Country. Brought up on the Classics with a great deal of emphasis on music. I spent about six years at the University of South Carolina in Columbia soakin.. more..

Writing