FIRE!!

FIRE!!

A Story by Jennifer
"

Beeping smoke alarm means change the battery...

"

  I have always had an issue with fire alarms. I go somewhere and the smoke alarm starts to chirp. Maybe because I am incredibly hot? No, perhaps not.

   I lived an apartment with my brother a few years ago. We had just moved into this two bedroom apartment by the mall. Cute place, it was nice and clean.

   One morning, at around three in the morning, I was given a rude awakening. Chirp! I couldn’t figure out what it was. I don’t have anything that makes that noise. Do I? I sit and wait for the noise again. My eyes grow heavy and I start to drift to sleep. Chirp!! What the hell was that??

   I jump out of bed. Was anyone awake? Did my brother have someone over? I step out of my bedroom door. There are no lights. No indication that anyone was awake. CHIRP!!! I look up at the green light that smiled insultingly at me.

   I grabbed a chair and used it as a step stool. I reach up and untwist it with my finger tips. I pull the battery out of it. Great, the type of battery I did not have. I set the smoke alarm on the counter. Chirp! Geez! That thing will still yell out without a battery?

   Stress filled my mind. Isn’t it against the law to have no battery? If it still has some juice, perhaps it would call the fire station and let them know I took out the battery. I pick up the phone and called my dad in the wee hours of the morning. Poor man was incoherent.

  “Hello?” the yawning old man answered.

   “I need help,” I’m deliriously tired and laughing. “My smoke alarm is chirping.”

   “Do you have a battery?” he asked.

  “No, I took it out and the damn thing is still making noise,” I chuckled.

   “Well,” he grumbled for a couple seconds. He was more than likely consulting with his significant other. “Put it in the refrigerator.”

   “In the refrigerator?” I scratched my head. It made perfect sense. There is a reason why there is a warning to not let kids play around refrigerators. If a child gets trapped in there, they cannot be heard when they yell for help.

   I let the man go back to sleep. I chucked the smoke alarm into the fridge. I slammed the door. I stood and listened. There was one last faint chirp. Ha! Take that you stupid alarm!

© 2008 Jennifer


Author's Note

Jennifer
from memory...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh so cute. I especially like the end when you put the alarm in the frig. Very entertaining.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 25, 2008
Last Updated on February 25, 2008

Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer