In the Name of Our God

In the Name of Our God

A Poem by Kristina Moulaison

For fear of Him

we shun our mothers

kill our brothers

bloody our door frames

 

Claiming to love our neighbors

we build the walls of Jericho

around our hearts

admiring our reflections

as we

sharpen our knives  

against their vain philosophies

 

While feeling sorry for the children

we conjure pictures of them burning

Drinking the blood

eating the flesh

refusing to pass the cup

 

All for the sake of statues

that we make

fashioned in our likeness

dusted off for display

 

Our evidence that we are reformed

of our youth

that our deeds will be written

on index cards

and filed away in heaven

 

our peace,

our proof,  

that we are not the dust.

 

  

© 2014 Kristina Moulaison


Author's Note

Kristina Moulaison
This was originally posted with a prefice I have since lost which would explain more fully the comments it received. It contained mention of some of the autrocities of wars fought in the name of heaven. This is not a poem about war however, but about tribalism and the self righteousness that is so often a result of our own search for meaning. I speak of myself first of course, because I am the lens by which I view the world.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

the ending is what it is all about, right? "We are not dust"- ours is something more significant, ours is a cause worth fighting (killing) for... well, these are "claims" unfounded - - and as you say, it is only our ego, our selfish thirst for immortality that has us "admiring our reflections" in the knives we sharpen to mirror finishes.
Loved the religious allusions throughout, i can never get enough of those in a poem honestly - great read, thanks again

' g '

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think your point about tribalism is a very good one. I feel as though that element of our existence is the closest to ego. When our ego is activated, we take the vehicle that is religion and turn it into a weapon for control and violence. I had a professor of religions this semester that told me that religion is a neutral vehicle filled with the light and love for reaching a divine end point. It is the intent of the user that gets in the way.

These are my favorite lines: "Claiming to love our neighbors/we build the walls of Jericho/ around our hearts."

I think you did a good job with a difficult and divisive topic.



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kristina Moulaison

11 Years Ago

Thank you! Excellent observations from you and I agree with your professor. I really appreciate you .. read more
Clockwork

11 Years Ago

You are welcome :-) thank you for writing and taking on these kind of topics with your wisdom and yo.. read more
The ending is so spot on. I love this. I like the religious reflection its not too forceful but so subtle it challenges you not to reflect.
Our evidence that we are reformed
of our youth
that our deeds will be written
on index cards
and filed away in heaven
Those lines were brilliant.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Misty. After reading some of the reviews you have been given on this poem, I can only say all of them are correct.
Often I am saddened when I think of how God must wonder what brings the wrath of mankind's hatred toward one another. Everyone questions everyone. No one seems to know [anymore] what is, or isn't right. Yet so many think their versions of anything are the only correct version. Leading only to more that question. What question do any of us have when finally we meet God. Will we question whatever his answers will be? Is there anyone left that will even care...? I think God himself must certainly hope so.

Gus

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem makes me think that we were visited by the same muse on two separate nights. We humans have an interesting understanding of God sometimes. The things that we do while calling ourselves Christians would set one to wonder about this Christ fellow.

This is why I like your poems because they demand reflection.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the ending is what it is all about, right? "We are not dust"- ours is something more significant, ours is a cause worth fighting (killing) for... well, these are "claims" unfounded - - and as you say, it is only our ego, our selfish thirst for immortality that has us "admiring our reflections" in the knives we sharpen to mirror finishes.
Loved the religious allusions throughout, i can never get enough of those in a poem honestly - great read, thanks again

' g '

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Really great write my friend!!! It speaks volumes.!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

damn good read - i'll be back to this, i need to continue this righteous high and download some "West Wing" episodes :-]

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Evolution has not happened in humanity since the stone ages. We are walking upright, attending universities, producing greater amounts of goods than before, but it seems our primitive inclination to cause violence and let greed control our thoughts has not subsided.

"For fear of Him,
this shadow,
we shun our mothers
kill our brothers
bloody our doorframes"

This stanza sums up everything about many of the most violent acts in human history. To me in seemed that people's use of their God to benefit their own selfish needs has caused more violence than anything else in our history. Regardless of the religion.

Again you are writing from the heart and it shows. I truly liked the comparison you made between your own children and those in Iraq. You should write a book someday.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Reading this it appears over hundreds of years we have learnt nothing.
War is still rife, still many die and still power struggles.Children of yesterday are the fighters of today.
Thought provoking piece.Beautifully penned although very sad.

sharpening our knives
against their vain philosophies
feeling sorry for the children
while we conjure pictures of them burning

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 5 people found this review constructive.

I liked this combination write. I think it raised an objection in my heart. I have trouble believing the essence of this fight is about God, if only because there are a great many Muslims and Christians living side by side in this country, some in my own neighborhood. I feel like I'm living in Germany in 1939. It's naked aggression and greed and all of it makes me sick. I see us on the brink with Iran (and I can't help but to think the world will turn against us if that happens). Oil. Not that the people over there are blameless. It's a savage region and I don't think we'd have any part in it if that black stuff wasn't under the ground in such quantity.

I really don't have any suggestions for this poem. Sorry about that, but it's well written.

Take care,

Michael

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

371 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 27, 2008
Last Updated on February 3, 2014

Author

Kristina Moulaison
Kristina Moulaison

Bellingham, WA



About
I write. Read me. We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, la.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Why Why

A Poem by Robert Luna