Plastic Emotions

Plastic Emotions

A Poem by S
"

Its an ironic piece which shows the real emotions of a plastic doll and the fake ones of her human owner.

"

                                                                         



Sitting in the corner of the shelf

I still smile with the same innocence

Waiting for my turn

When she’ll pick me up

Comb my hair and do tea parties

Tell me the story of my life

World full of my friends and my style.


                                                                                Rugged, she looks to my eyes

                                                                                All her clothes covered in dust

                                                                                Her face smeared with ugly make-up.

                                                                                Hairs cut irregularly with my childhood expertise

                                                                                Doesn't seem like the same pretty face Daddy bought

                                                                                Over which my sister and I fought.


I slept with you for years

Protected you from your nightmares

Look at me, I’m your favorite doll

Still the same slim size you always wanted to be

And now you too look like my life size version

With the beauty of your youth and your weight loss program

We now look alike, you and me.


                                                                                  She needs to be replaced

                                                                                  Her presence blemishes my facade.

                                                                            Her hideousness doesn’t fit in my décor

                                                                                  Our memories are those I abhor

                                                                                  I cant be someone who still keeps her doll

                                                                                  In her frayed and dusty overalls


I am your first best friend

And only the true one

Met you when you were still very chubby

And your friends never showed up at your parties

Till you became so much skinny

And started to put on make up

You are

So beautiful without this plastic coating

Don’t be afraid to show people who you really are.

                               

                                                                                     

                                                                                 As I lay down exhausted from all the pretense

                                                                                 I see her smirking at me

                                                                                 Reminding of my gloomy days

                                                                                 Seeing through me

                                                                                 Seeing whatever I've  tried to hide

                                                                                 Never letting me feel that I belong in my new world

                                                                                 With real friends

                                                                                 Who really spend time with me.

                                                                                 She is

                                                                                 Representing nothing but my loneliness

                                                                                 A mirror of my dark past I never want to see again.








                                                                             

                                                             

© 2014 S


Author's Note

S
The irony surrounding this poem is that the plastic doll has real emotions and the real human has a plastic heart.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

First of all, I am blown away by the central idea of the poem. I would give high marks to the poem simply for the way it has been conceptualized. Coming to the presentation, I really like the way you have used different fonts for the musings of the doll and the girl. I also like the fact that you use smaller font for the doll relating her sad, shy tale, and the big one for the girl, with her loud story of pretense. The alternating pattern of stanzas also suits the subject matter of the poem. In writing this poem, you have also offered a glimpse into the world of a little child as well as a teenage girl, coming to terms with her maturity. A glimpse of what is gained and what is lost, perhaps forever.

There is a little bit of repetition in the poem, which I feel detracts from it slightly (the references to make up for instance) and as such, it could have been made more concise.

So I am going to give it only 99/100. :)
We poets often use our skills to convey old thoughts in an ever-changing form. And that makes for excellent poetry too. But the originality I see here is a rarity. A fantastic effort, Sayrandhri! Keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S

9 Years Ago

I appreciate the suggestions.
I hope i can alter that part to suite better in the poem. Thanks.. read more
Augustus

9 Years Ago

You're most welcome! :)



Reviews

This poem is so creative! I love the way it switches between points of views while neither of them are fully aware of what each other are feeling. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


S

9 Years Ago

The whole concept revolves around the misconception and facade. I'm glad you like it! :)
"The plastic doll has real emotions and the real human has a plastic heart .. " very true .. I do agree with the line. Heart's made up to have emotions, to feel emotions but in today's wicked world, there's no value of emotions cos, yeah .. all the real emotions've been evaporated in the few cold drops of mists and the plastic heart's been trying to melt since long looking across the crime ..the hurt which heart's getting facing in modern-age through the forsaken worlds of hearts. Nice poem, I like the concept. I just visited the site again and am glad to be on your pages again. Well done for the beautiful poem!

Posted 9 Years Ago


S

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for all the time that you have given to read and review my work.
Rahul

9 Years Ago

It's always a great delight reading your beautiful stuffs. Your stuffs always refresh my mind whenev.. read more
I very much enjoyed the different perspectives of the plastic and the real and what they mean to each other. We see the part of ourselves we were never happy with in our memories and this poor doll had many of those memories for this girl.

Posted 9 Years Ago


S

9 Years Ago

Thank you Roger for reviewing my work. :)
First of all, I am blown away by the central idea of the poem. I would give high marks to the poem simply for the way it has been conceptualized. Coming to the presentation, I really like the way you have used different fonts for the musings of the doll and the girl. I also like the fact that you use smaller font for the doll relating her sad, shy tale, and the big one for the girl, with her loud story of pretense. The alternating pattern of stanzas also suits the subject matter of the poem. In writing this poem, you have also offered a glimpse into the world of a little child as well as a teenage girl, coming to terms with her maturity. A glimpse of what is gained and what is lost, perhaps forever.

There is a little bit of repetition in the poem, which I feel detracts from it slightly (the references to make up for instance) and as such, it could have been made more concise.

So I am going to give it only 99/100. :)
We poets often use our skills to convey old thoughts in an ever-changing form. And that makes for excellent poetry too. But the originality I see here is a rarity. A fantastic effort, Sayrandhri! Keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S

9 Years Ago

I appreciate the suggestions.
I hope i can alter that part to suite better in the poem. Thanks.. read more
Augustus

9 Years Ago

You're most welcome! :)
There is much irony in this and you wrote it out perfectly. I love the way you also created the layout of this wonderful write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


S

10 Years Ago

I'm so glad you like it :)
This is beautifully crafted. You bring life to the plastic doll, which is ironic in itself.

Posted 10 Years Ago


S

10 Years Ago

Thank you..
this is imaging like you looked like dool and you can imagine like dool, i could fell the same emotion in your write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


S

10 Years Ago

I'm glad you could perceive it that well!
kumars

10 Years Ago

ok....................
Poignant write and true plastic lives.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S

10 Years Ago

Glad you understood the irony :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 18, 2013
Last Updated on May 5, 2014
Tags: Irony, Plastic Emotions

Author

S
S

About
Dreamer by the day & remain the same at night. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by S


The Deceit The Deceit

A Poem by S