A Guest in the Jail (Day IV)

A Guest in the Jail (Day IV)

A Chapter by Kay Beaver
"

Let's just breathe...

"

A GUEST IN THE JAIL

 

DAY IV

 

Let’s just breathe…  

 

           

         Walter walked towards Martin’s bed and sat next to him. Martin didn’t look good. They couldn’t have spoken since last night. He looked like he was drowning in his loneliness. Walter put his arm around his shoulder and tried to start a conversation.

         “Don’t be that sad Martin… As far as I see you are about to lose your all hope, but it is life man. Sometimes you win or sometimes you lose. It is exactly the same for the Love too. Only 4 days… You will be out of here just after 4 days. Think about your family, your friends…”

         “I don’t have any friend Walter!”

         “Of course you have… Look, you are only on the start line of your path. There is a long and beautiful life waiting for you.”

         “Why do you have to speak like you will never be able to get your freedom back? Wake up Walter… You will not stay here forever. You, Jasper and I… We all will be free one day…”

         Jasper listening all of their conversation butted in.

         “Excuse me Martin! With all my respect, we are murderers at least in the point of view of the judgment. Of course one day our punishment will finish, but until that time we will get consumed.”

         “But Jasper please… You guys always encourage me to forget about Violet and start to live in a new life. So if you really want to convince me to believe the existence of a life that is worth living, you better convince yourselves before.”

         Walter and Jasper looked each other’s faces. Martin might be right, but their life was not half as easy as Martin’s and when they hace achieve to get out of here they won’t be young anymore like Martin…

         “Look Martin, listen to me! Walter already has lost his childhood and he is about to lose his youth too. About me? My childhood was like a piece of s**t. And my youth will be gone when I will be able to earn my freedom back. So tell me… What we two boring middle aged guys can do in the real world?”

         “Well let’s do a plan! I will be a lawyer when I graduate from the university. Until you earn your freedom, I will save money and we will leave that country together. We will travel all around the world, we will stay in crappy hotels, eat oily foods, work in small pubs to make money, and meanwhile we will meet loads of new people… We will see a lot of different places; we will experience every treats in that small world.”

         “Like f*****g prostitutes?” Jasper said.

         Walter felt a bit ashamed, but Martin burst into laughter.

         “Yes, that’s one of that treats. We will see what we missed so far…”

         Jasper has smiled pretty sincerely first time, since he met Martin.

         “I liked that plan. I always wanted to be a rock star you know… So you can sing with me while I am playing my guitar. I feel like Walter has a great talent about playing drums. We need one bass player to go. The band is established! We can travel all around the world in the rhythm of Rock’n Roll! But I am warning you… I will pick up more chicks than you guys.”

         Martin was ready to compete with Jasper. He looked at Walter’s face and all he saw was an unsure looking…

          “What’s up with you buddy?”

         “Nothing… I am glad you are making nice plans together, but you had better not include me, if you don’t mind.”

         “What are you talking about man? We won’t do any plan without you. Why do you hesitate? We will be together as good friends and learn so many things from the world. We will catch up what we missed so far. What is wrong with that idea?”

         Walter was struggling to express himself. He just wanted to end this conversation.

         “Alright I listened both of you guys and now you will listen to me. Martin it is too easy to imagine a free world. You have a family; you have friends even you can’t admit. You are well trained and if you believe in yourself, you can do whatever you want. About you Jasper... You have a father that didn’t forget you. You remember that letter you showed us yesterday? He still wants you back. Maybe he will try to change you, but he will always be there to support you as your father. You all had something so far and you will have again after all of that captivity days. But what about me? I haven’t met my own father and my own mother has forgotten me a long time ago. I am here since my childhood. I have never tasted the freedom. I belong to a imprison life. The freedom is so much for me. There was nothing for me to encourage me to go out and live liberally, after this time there won’t be too. So in briefly I don’t want to be free anymore…”   

         Even Martin has considered his words as reasonable; he didn’t want to believe in him.

         “Don’t bullshit me Walter! We are here to encourage you. We will try to get used to live in a free world together. You won’t be lonely. About your past… Forget about the past. Who the f**k cares about the past, besides we were not that free like you said so far. So I can’t accept any excuse from you…”

         “Martin you don’t understand me. I don’t want my freedom. I am okay with the life in that way. All I wanted was just living with my mother in a peaceful life, but it doesn’t seem it will be possible.”

         Jasper listened all of their discussion and dragged Walter’s attention.

         “Look man… I need to admit that you were right in some points. Okay we tasted freedom more than you. Or maybe you have never tasted the freedom. Despite that situation we are trying to convince you how a free life would be awesome. Actually we are totally dumbs… Do you know why? Because we are trying to describe colors to a blind man…”

         “What do you mean by describing colors to a blind man?”

         “It is simple. Think about a man that is blind from his birth. He has never seen any of colors. He doesn’t know what the color is… And think about a guy that tries to convince that blind man how the colors are so beautiful. Our struggle with convincing you how the freedom might be so awesome and his struggle are completely the same. Just think about that blind man has never felt the lack of seeing, so does it mean seeing the environment too much for him? Doesn’t he deserve two eyes abled to see? Seeing the colors, seeing the sky or sun… Do they ruin that blind man’s life? I don’t think so. In my point of view everyone deserves the freedom, even you, as much as everyone deserves to see the world.”

         Walter couldn’t have found so many things to say him. He might be right in many points. But the freedom was still coming to him too much.

         “I don’t know Jasper… You might be right, but I don’t have so much dreams like you guys. My only dream is giving that pigeon to my mother and living with her after I get out of here.” He showed the completed wooden pigeon figure he made.

         “Apparently, you finished your work up.” said Martin.

         “Yes, I did. So only long waiting times for my mother started.”

         “One day he will be here Walter. She is still your mother. You can be completely sure.”

         “If she came to me, I would be already earned my freedom and it would be the best day of my life…”

         Out of the blue they heard the loud of their creaky door’s opening and the voice of the guard. It was totally the same feeling with when Violet came to visit.

         “You have a letter Walter!” He gave that letter quickly and disappeared. Walter was totally surprised. Who would write a letter to him?

         “Hey Walter, it must be from your mother read it!” said Martin and Jasper together. They looked more excited than Walter. Walter opened the envelope slowly and took a piece of yellow paper inside of it. Apparently there was not a long writing as Walter read it pretty quickly. There was not so much time between reading the paper and dropping it. Walter got into his bed and started to cry silently as soon as he dropped his letter. Jasper and Martin looked at that yellow paper. All of they saw was a notice of death. A death of a woman… Obviously she was Martin’s mother that the only woman can make him cry in his life. Jasper and Martin tried to make him feel comfortable and talk, but they heard only one thing from his mouth.

         “I told you! I don’t have a life. The freedom is too much for me…”

 

***

         It was pretty late hour of the night when all of the inmates headed to their beds. Martin knew that no one in his ward was sleeping right now. Walter neither talked nor got out of his bed since the letter. Martin couldn’t have believed what happened today. If there was a god above, what was his problem with that poor Walter? Was he having fun with him? He must be swallowing his whiskey while gossiping with angels in his Jacuzzi right now. Martin could guess the conversation between the god and his friends.

         “You should have saw Walter’s face when I took his mother from his hands.”

         “Wasn’t it so much cruel even for you? Firstly you took his father, then you putted him in a jail and now you took his mother, his only reason of living, his only hope…”

         “So cruel even for me? Do not underestimate my mercilessness babe! And you forgot about mentioning one thing. Don’t you think happening in the same time Walter’s finishing his pigeon with receiving his mother’s death notice was really striking? It was not that hard for me, but I am sure I have impressed you little pretty angels hah?”

         “Oh god! You really know your stuff…”

         Martin wanted to get that dirty talks between god and his angels out of his head immediately. He was really so sorry for his friend. He was sure about Walter wasn’t asleep. So he tried to talk from his bed.

         “Hey, Walter… I hope you are not asleep yet because I want to talk about an idea. You don’t want to travel all around the world, so it is okay for me. Let Jasper go and fulfill his dreams of being a rock star. Listen to my offer. As soon as you get out of here, I will stop being a lawyer and with the money I saved we will set up a music shop. We can sell Jasper’s albums. I am sure everyone queues up in order to buy his albums. We can sell musical instruments too and even we can learn how to play them. We can socialize with people that come to our shop. Even if we don’t go far away, we can create a beautiful world that you can love too. Maybe we both can marry with our beautiful costumers. We should have children immediately because we want our shop to stay active after our deaths. I really want you to know my friend. This thing happened to you today was not the end of anything. You are not alone buddy. You have me and I have you. We are stars in each other’s skies. Let’s just try to make this life beautiful together…”

         Martin turned to his friend Walter and waited for his respond. But nothing ever happened. He didn’t move or he didn’t say anything. His left wrist that was shining with the moonlight cut his attention. It was bleeding! His entire wrist was in blood. Martin jumped out of his bed and run to his friend. He held his wrist tightly and tried to stop bleeding. He shouted so hard in order to call any help. There was Walter’s carving knife on the ground that caught his eye and a bloody pigeon figure in his palm. Martin shouted and shouted over and over again. He couldn’t have seen any sign of living on Walter. Jasper started to punch the door. He tried to call the guard.

         “We need help! Emergency! Our friend is injured! Help us…”

         Martin hugged his friend tightly. He didn’t want to stop holding him, but he was only watching his friend’s slipping through his fingers like the bloody pigeon slipped through Walter’s hand. He got closed his friend and whispered in his ear.

         “Stay with me. Let’s just breathe…”             



© 2016 Kay Beaver


Author's Note

Kay Beaver
There is so much pain on that poor children don't you think? They are all unlucky and whenever they try to find a new hope to keep on living, something happens and it ruins everything. So who will help them to earn their hope back? Maybe someone can fill the lack of Walter? See you on Day V...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

When you decided to write a multi-chapter story about these guys in jail, that was a challenging starting point. Reading many chapters of people sitting around in jail with nothing to do -- it can be lacking in action & variety. But you manage to put something significant & dramatic, here & there in your story, to keep the interest. Just when it feels like these guys have already discussed this same stuff over & over, then something happens, like the visit from Violet or the news about mom's death, etc.

These are all good ways to keep your story interesting, but overall, it's hard to write a story when people can't go anywhere or do anything. Many chapters of the same conversations can be a little tiring by this point. You've done a good job using this same scene over & over in every chapter, trying to keep it interesting.

I also notice that you don't give very many physical descriptions of these people. I know what they're thinking, but I don't know what they look like or sound like or smell like, etc. Sometimes you can build a character by showing his mannerisms, as well as his conversations.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kay Beaver

7 Years Ago

Sorry to hear what happened, I hope one day you will get rid of your that problem. I am sure writing.. read more
Kay Beaver

7 Years Ago

By the way, if you are a bit bored of this stories being that static in the all way or you are kind .. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the "tease" . . . *wink! wink!*



Reviews

When you decided to write a multi-chapter story about these guys in jail, that was a challenging starting point. Reading many chapters of people sitting around in jail with nothing to do -- it can be lacking in action & variety. But you manage to put something significant & dramatic, here & there in your story, to keep the interest. Just when it feels like these guys have already discussed this same stuff over & over, then something happens, like the visit from Violet or the news about mom's death, etc.

These are all good ways to keep your story interesting, but overall, it's hard to write a story when people can't go anywhere or do anything. Many chapters of the same conversations can be a little tiring by this point. You've done a good job using this same scene over & over in every chapter, trying to keep it interesting.

I also notice that you don't give very many physical descriptions of these people. I know what they're thinking, but I don't know what they look like or sound like or smell like, etc. Sometimes you can build a character by showing his mannerisms, as well as his conversations.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kay Beaver

7 Years Ago

Sorry to hear what happened, I hope one day you will get rid of your that problem. I am sure writing.. read more
Kay Beaver

7 Years Ago

By the way, if you are a bit bored of this stories being that static in the all way or you are kind .. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the "tease" . . . *wink! wink!*
the more you write this story,the more intence and interesting it gets

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Kay Beaver

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much... I couldn't have found courage to write better, if I didn't have loyal readers l.. read more
 wordman

7 Years Ago

you have all the ingredients to write,just need that cheering section

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

479 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 2, 2016
Last Updated on December 11, 2016
Tags: Rock'n Roll, Jasper, burning flame, longing, regret, love, young, Jail, hope, anarchy, cage, sky, somebody else, black, pearl jam, rajaz, worth, freedom, breathe


Author

Kay Beaver
Kay Beaver

About
Hello everyone... I am the mass of atoms. the stardust, a member of evolutionary tree, a human... I have started writing in order to both improving my English and unburden my soul. I like creati.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Please Please

A Poem by bella


The Escapist The Escapist

A Story by GwenLark