Greater Than Oz

Greater Than Oz

A Story by mmrom517
"

A take-off on the Wizard of Oz

"

     “Ohhh, we’re off to ...”

     “Please; desist! Now Dorothy, we must be well-versed regarding the legal ramifications pursuant to this verbiage prior to its utilization in a work that has not heretofore been designated to the public domain....”

     “Say what, Scarecrow?”

     “I say, Lion. Scarecrow has a good point, a good point indeed. Why, consider how kind and generous he was to take the time to inform us about, uh, well....”

     “Yeah, that’s right, that’s right,” Lion replied. “Aaah, you don’t even know what he’s talkin’ about, Tin Man,”

     “True, true. But he meant well, I just know it.”

     “Gentlemen, I do apologize. I’m merely saying....” Scarecrow rubbed his chin between his fingers. “Hmmm, how can I bring it down to your level?”

     “Scarecrow, why you ought to be ashamed of yourself,” said Dorothy.

     “Yeah, ya better watch it there, Scarecrow. She packs a mean wallop. Remember how she whacked me in the nose that time when we first met?”

     Scarecrow sulked. “Dorothy’s right. Using my brain...”

     “The brain you were given.”

     “Right, Lion, the brain I was given. If I may, I’m merely trying to say that song is copyrighted so we need to be sure we don’t break any laws.”

     “Thank you so much for explaining that, Scarecrow. Though I was equally content with your original.....”

     “Oh brother,” sighed Lion, rolling his eyes at Tin Man.

     Dorothy chuckled. “All right, you three. I was really singing a different version: ‘Ohhh, we’re off to worship Jesus, the wonderful King of all kings.”

     “Aw shucks, Dorothy, ya got me feelin’ all warm and fuzzy.”

     “Well you are a lion, Lion. Warm and fuzzy pretty well sums up the feline species,” said Scarecrow. He put a finger to his head and scratched. “Though some hairless...”

     “Yeah, well I ain’t some cute pet, I tell ya. Look at these claws. Scared, ain’t ya? Check out these teeth. Somebody comes at me, why, I’ll tear ‘em apart. Treat me like a pet? Let ‘em try, just let ‘em.”

     (Sound of metal clanking).

   “Now look how you scared Tin Man. Shame on you.” Lion covered his nose in case Dorothy went to swat him. “Yes, Lion, you are courageous, but sometimes courage is so much more than just being able to hurt others.”

     “Aw, I’m supposed to be king of the jungle, not wuss of the willows.”

     Scarecrow thought for a moment, then pointed his finger toward the sky as an idea came to him. “Perhaps, Lion, once we attain our destination, the wisdom necessary to ascertain the demeanor most appropriate to the confluence of your, as it were, make-up, and the situation at hand, will come forth.”

     Blank stares.

     “Gee, I wish I was as smart as Scarecrow.”

     “Ya know, Tin Man, he’s just usin’ fancy words to say what we already know, ain’t ya Scarecrow?”

     Scarecrow hung his head. “Lion’s right. I’m just a big talker with a lot of wind instead of wisdom.”

     “Now, now, Scarecrow, you mustn’t say such things,” said Dorothy

     “Nah, go on, go on. This is gettin’ good.”

     “All right, gentlemen, we’re not here to pick on one another,” said Dorothy. “Each of us is imperfect, and we need to work together, with God’s help, to grow. Anything good we have is a blessing, and only if it’s used in His power and for His glory will it be a blessing to others.”

     “Bravo, bravo. Well said,” they all chimed in.

     “Well, I know I’m not always as encouraging as I could be.”

     “Aw come on, Tin Man, if you bent any further backwards to please everybody you’d....”

     Just then, the wicked witch swooped in and grabbed Dorothy. “Tie her up,” she snapped at the winged monkeys among her. They cowered, then grabbed and bound the girl.

     Lion started toward the witch, but the other two grabbed him. “Let me at her.”

     “No, Lion, that’s what she wants,” cried Dorothy.

     “No, please, Lion,” cooed the witch, drumming the tips of her fingers together. “Why not respond like the animal you are? Oh my, did I say that?” She narrowed her eyes, and shrieked, “You try anything and this sweet innocent angel will be no more.” A ball of fire arose from one of her hands. Scarecrow trembled. “Come, now, Scarecrow,” the witch continued. “Share with us your great intellect. Perhaps you can give us a treatise on the properties of fire, or its temperatures in different environments. Or...Yes, that’s it. How about a demonstration with straw? Hmm, I wonder where I can find some straw.”

     “If you would be so kind, Ms. Witch,” said Tin Man, shaking and rattling. “We’d be happy to do whatever you want. As long as you promise to let Dorothy go.”

     “Why, sure, Tin Man. I’ll do just that,” said the witch, rolling her eyes and cackling in laughter. Lion looked at Tin Man and shook his head and sighed, and Scarecrow thought hard for a moment then started to speak. He was stopped by the sight of Dorothy on her knees, her hands clasped and her face seeking her Lord.

The witch drew back at that sight. 

     Scarecrow, Lion, and Tin Man huddled together. “The witch is scared when Dorothy prays,” said the Lion.

     “Yeah, Dorothy knows who really has the answers,” said Scarecrow.

     “Shall we pray, gentlemen, that God will be compassionate to Dorothy?” said Tin Man.

     They got on their knees and reached their hands to heaven.

     As Lion prayed, he opened his eyes for a moment, snarling at the witch and exposing his claws to her. But then his eyes went skyward, and after a moment of intense silent struggle with God he retracted his claws, threw himself onto the ground, and kept crying out, “I’m so sorry, Lord. I’ll do what You say.”

     “Well, well, seems your God is a coward, just like you. I figured Dorothy’s friends wouldn’t stand up for her when it really came down to it.”

     Lion groaned, but continued praying. “God, ya gotta help me listen ta you, ‘cause I’m wantin’ ta ...” He looked at Dorothy, whose eyes were brimming with tears. But he knew they were tears of joy as evidenced by her rapid nodding.

     “Keep praying,” she mouthed. Scarecrow gave him a pat on his furry back.

     “How sweet, Scarecrow,” sneered the witch. He just stood there and smiled

     “What, nothing to say? Probably the smartest you’ve ever been.”

     “Indeed, witch, the mere number or complexity of words is not necessarily a show of greater wisdom.” He then went back to praying.

     “You think you can lecture me?” she screamed. She threw a ball of fire toward him, but Tin Man jumped to block it. Dorothy cried out as she saw the metal charring. Lion quickly smothered the flames, and Tin Man kept trying to smile at his friends, though tears flowed down his face. Scarecrow quickly got the oil can ready so the tears wouldn’t rust Tin Man’s eyes.

     “Oh, Lord, help us!” they cried.

     “Your God isn’t coming,” she cackled. “Why don’t you just....”

     “Look!” cried Dorothy, pointing to the sky.

     The witch squinted. “What, that?” she laughed. “Why it’s no bigger than my fist.”

     “That’s what Elijah’s servant said,” Dorothy smiled.

     Witch’s sneering lips soon turned agape as the small, cute cloud began rolling and churning and darkening.

     “Hmm, my superior brains tell me it might rain,” joked Scarecrow.

     “You ain’t scared of a little water, are ya?” asked Lion. “Where’s your courage?”

     “It’s sure kind of God to bring us some relief from this dry spell,” Tin Man smiled, waving his oil can as if to ask, Do you need some of this?

     The witch finally came to her senses, but by then the rain was pouring down, and soon she was just a puddle. And that same water from heaven healed Tin Man’s injuries.

     And as they skipped merrily on their way, they joined in singing the song Dorothy had started, a hymn of praise to the God only wise who confounded the seeming wisdom of the world by not coming to earth as a conquering king, but who instead showed great kindness in coming to earth to show love to the unlovable, and who courageously held back the legions of angels from His cross so He could complete the purpose for which he was sent.

© 2012 mmrom517


Author's Note

mmrom517
Let me know what you think, and please, any suggestions you have I'll consider.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

585 Views
Added on October 26, 2012
Last Updated on November 1, 2012
Tags: Wizard of Oz, Baum, story

Author

mmrom517
mmrom517

Denton, TX



About
I'm an on again, off again writer who wants to join a community of writers so I can finally get moving forward. I'm married, with a stepson, and I've lived in Texas since 2006. I pray my words may ble.. more..

Writing