42. School

42. School

A Chapter by Lynaelee
"

~Some cursing~

"
On Tuesday, August 29th, Noah and Jess drove me back to the hometown so I could register for my classes. Pat made sure I took the cellphone he got with me as he tucked it into my back right pocket. "Stay safe, doll," he whispered as he held me tightly.

"I expect to see you no later than 9:30 tomorrow morning," I replied softly. "At least I hope it's not later than 9:30," I thought as he kissed the top of my head. His t-shirt was shorter today so I rubbed his scar on his arm as I leaned into his chest, hiding from his gaze that I was biting my lip. He shifted slightly and rubbed my back.
"Your hope, doll," he murmured. I giggled and looked up at him. 

"You can feel that?!" I whispered. He grinned and nodded. 
"I can. It surprises me too. I honestly thought I had no feeling over there. Baby doll, your fingertips are laced with jolts of electricity, I swear. Anyways, I hope to see you before then, but it's a good time frame to start off with. I don't like you outta my sight. It gives me great anxiety if I can't stare at the sapphires that calm me down," he whispered. I blushed brightly but held his gaze. 
"I'll be okay, dear. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think it's healthy for couples to be apart. We need it! You hover too much," I teased. His eyes held the same worry I felt, but he smiled warmly at me. "I'll only be a phone call away. I have the pain medication. I won't miss a dosage. I'll even let Jess and Noah cater to me. Renae will make sure I'm okay too. She won't let me get hurt. I promise, I won't even use the oven. I'll be safe and I won't hurt myself," I stated with certainty. 
"I know, doll. You'll be just fine," he replied as he helped me get into the car. He chuckled softly as the sparkly flip flop fell off my left foot onto the ground. "You sure you just don't want to go barefoot?" He teased.
"It's frowned upon apparently," I huffed. He chuckled again, picked it up, and gave it to me. I tucked it into my bag until further notice.
He crouched in the open door stroking my cheek and lowered his voice as he spoke in code, "Promise me no major sleeping beauty stunts." 

"Haven't attempted that since last week," I confirmed. Seeing Lieutenant McAllister (major), his platoon, and Joanne (who passed away in her sleep) didn't scare me last week; and that scared Pat. I was scared once he told me they were his ghosts, but I didn't feel threatened by them. We promised not to tell Jess or Noah. I told Tyler the full story when he came over that afternoon but asked him not to let my brother or his sister worry. He agreed and told them a half truth; I slept until 11. If Josh knew, he never let on.
"I know, doll. You didn't plan that though," he accused. I grinned as I grabbed the hand on my face and leaned into it. I pressed my lips into his palm. 
"I have no intention of seeing them for a long time. You, sir, need a break. You're going to drive yourself sick with your worrying. I think Josh has been pressing for some quality brother time," I teased. "He's concerned about you too, but won't say anything around me. I'm glad that you're all in with caring for me but really, Pat, I'm fine." 
"I'll slam the door on you," Noah teased from behind the wheel. Pat grinned and looked at him. "'Nettie's right. You've been keeping her by your side even more so since Friday morning. Did something else happen besides her sleeping in until 11 that morning?" Pat and I chuckled.
"Aside from scaring me, no." Pat mused. "I just didn't think she'd wake up."
"I mastered the shower with shampoo and conditioner -fully clothed- but no, nothing else really happened," I added with a grin. Noah squinted his eyes at me. "It's the truth!" I insisted. I looked back at Pat. "Go, please! I don't want them to slam your arm in the car and drag you. You'll get hurt." He looked back at me. "I promise, I'll be okay. I'll call you tonight and walk you through making dinner." He pursed his lips. I leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Sealed. I'll kiss you tomorrow morning at 9:30 on the lips," I beamed. He grinned and kissed my cheek before shutting the door. Noah backed the car out and got on the highway. 
"Jeez, 'Nettie. You're something special. We all know that. But can you release your grip on him a little! He's going to suffocate you," Noah teased. I giggled.

"I didn't do anything," I replied. Jess looked back at me and grinned.

"No, sweetie. You're just captivating. People can't help but love you. It's why Tyler and I were drawn to you so quickly. Pat's just afraid to lose the best thing that's ever happened to him," she explained kindly. I grinned.
"If that's the truth, Will wouldn't have let me walk away, Lionel wouldn't let anyone else near me, and the hospital," I trailed off with a snort. Noah looked at me in the rearview mirror.
"What happened at the hospital? Dad?" He asked. I bit my lip and nodded. That was part of it.
"Sweetie, those were all forced. What's going on now is much more natural and easy going. Anyone can see that," Jess replied softly. "You care for Pat as much as he cares for you. It's a whole new ball game."
"Adam and Lauren have been trying to get ahold of you. Adam has been asking how you've been at practice. I explained to him you're doing fine, but not well enough for visitors. Annette, Principal Lane will get suspicious if you don't look like you're in pain," Noah warned, effectively changing the subject. Internally, I was grateful.
"I know. The pain's present, but I've ignored pain most my life and always put on a mask so people didn't know. One of the first things Pat said to me was I make it easy for people to forget I'm in pain. I don't even try to do that. I figured I have to play it down for the school. I skipped my dose with breakfast for that very reason. I figured if it wasn't dulled, I could pull it off better. I should have one full pill in my system right now. As it is, I have Ibuprofen at 10 this morning and a full oxycodone around 9:30 last night. I'm overdue," I replied as stretched my body and winced. "I still have lots of sore spots. I can take a little deeper breath, but I still know my breathing is shallow. Everything hurts."

"Do your best to milk it. I know it'll be hard, but you have to," Noah ordered. I nodded and looked out the window.
"I got this," I stated simply. I shifted and pulled out my phone. Pat had sent me two messages. I grinned and looked at them.

"Miss you already, doll. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Miss you too, dear, but I've barely been gone ten minutes," I thought as I read the second message.
"You were right. Josh wanted to talk. Guess we're going to catch fish with our bare hands." I giggled and hit reply.

"Miss you too. Brother bonding is important. Keep the fish away from my kitchen." I hit send, tucked the phone into the side-sling backpack I was wearing, and looked out the window again. "The assignments we're given aren't always answered from the books. I may need lecture notes," I stated to no one in particular when Noah pulled off the interstate into our hometown. 

"You'll be fine, 'Nettie. You always seemed to work ahead of the pace anyways. If you get stuck ask me. I still remember most of what was taught my senior year. Government and consumer economics I'm sure you'll find to be really easy. When we took AP Math together, how many times did you redo your assignments?" 
"Three, I think," I replied as I looked back at him, meeting his eye in the mirror. He nodded.

"Sounds about right. I looked in your notebook, 'Nettie, you were always three or four chapters ahead of us, and your math was always right. You saved your work and turned in the appropriate work when it was due. I'm sure you'll do the same with your other classes," Noah replied as he turned into the school parking lot. I nodded. 
"Did you say government? I took that last year. Do I have to take it again?" 
"Uh, no. Probably not. Mr. Deakin teaches both classes; one was required for junior year, one for senior year. I forgot what the second class was. Sorry. So unless I have to be in a classroom, I'll always take you in on Friday. Otherwise, Jess will do it."

"I don't want to be a burden," I stated and bit my lip
"You're definitely not a burden, 'Nettie," Jess replied. "You've managed to make it around your home just fine, although a bit awkward. We'll help you get in your chair, but I'll wait in the car. Noah you should too." Noah bit his lip as he parked the car.
"I don't want to say I don't need you guys, but if you don't mind waiting, I'd appreciate it. I can manage in there on my own," I said with as much certainty I could muster. I put my flip flop back on my foot as Noah opened my door. He grabbed my hand and helped me into the wheelchair.
"I know you can, but that doesn't mean I won't worry," he replied. I opened my mouth to reply but was interrupted.
"Hey, Annette!" I looked up, met Lauren's gaze, and grinned. "Glad you can make it!"
"Hey, Lauren. Thanks. Apparently it's mandatory and apparently because the paperwork we filled out at the end of last year wasn't good enough," I giggled. Noah placed his hand on my back and pressed softly on the rib. I leaned forward, glared over my shoulder, and gave him a terse, "ow!" 
"Milk," he signed. I nodded slightly and put my hand on the wheel to try and go forward. 

"Oh, Annette! Let me help you, please!" Lauren insisted as she pushed Noah out of the way. Jess got out of the car and leaned into Noah's arms. "What's your number? We kept trying the one you gave Ryan. I mean that's what you gave him when you spouted off about the football stats right? Nothing else made sense. Not with you anyways," Lauren demanded as she wheeled me towards the school.
"Yes. He asked for a phone number and that was the best way I thought to disguise it. It's complicated though. Long story short, I haven't been home since I left the hospital. That was Mom and Dad's number. I've been living with Noah and Jess. I've been sleeping lots but that's about it," I replied. I pulled my right foot away from the leg rest as she almost ran into a pole. I winced as the leg rest brushed against it even though I didn't touch the pole at all.
"Sorry, Annette. These aren't so easy to steer. Mom always makes it look so easy. Speaking of! She wants a full report, but I'm good with just telling her you showed up, smiled, and told us you had been sleeping lots," she replied. I nodded and rested my foot back on the rest. I took a deep breath and exhaled it slowly.
"Sounds good. I'll only be here once a week for the very steering problem you noticed," I confessed. I tensed as our classmates walked around us. "I was nervous in a crowd before, but now. Ugh! Everyone is a potential threat to further injury and there's not many ways I can prevent it."
"That's why we're here, Annette. There's no way we can let you get hurt again. You took a beating for us," Lauren stated. I began to slink in my chair. 
"And we can prevent it from happening here. I'll clear you a path and keep you from getting banged up. It'll be like you're in your own little protection bubble," Adam added as he stood beside me. "Hey, you," he remarked with a wide grin at Lauren and kissed her.
"Thanks. I'll try to manage," I stated. I put my hand on the wheel and my left foot on the ground. "I'm thankful it's just our class right now. I definitely will be coming before school starts when I have to turn in my work." 
"Relax, Annette!" Adam ordered as he walked away.

"He'll be back, Annette. We told you, we'd be happy to help you out," Lauren stated. I caught Renae's eye from across the room and waved at her. She smiled and made her way over. 
"Thanks, Lauren. I appreciate it. Truly. You guys can go register for your classes. Renae's on her way over," I stated. "Plus, we're still in separate social circles. I'd hate for you to tarnish your reputation." 
"Pfhh! Whatever, Annette. You're cool. Everyone else just refuses to see it because you're never mean," Lauren retorted. Renae stopped beside us and giggled.
"It's like she knows you or something," she teased. I grinned at her. "Hey, Net. You look good."
"Thanks, Nae. I've still got a long road of healing ahead of me," I replied.  "Need a new canvas?" I looked down at my cast then back at Renae. She followed my gaze and grinned. 

"I'd be delighted to!" She exclaimed then looked at Lauren as Adam came back. "Hey, Lauren. Adam. You guys don't have to take care of her. I got this," Renae insisted. I bit my lip.

"I can do this on my own, kinda," I stated. Adam chuckled and handed me my folder. He handed Lauren's to her too. I looked back at Lauren and Adam and hesitantly voiced, "are you sure you're okay with this?" 
"Yeah, Annette. You're cool. We'd be happy to do this for you. Now look at your schedule and we'll get this sorted out," Adam replied and looked in his folder. Lauren and Renae opened their folders too. "We should be able to find you a schedule where we can help with school notes and stuff," he stated. I sighed and opened my folder. Three potential schedules were in front of me, the first one had two of the electives of the four I chose last year, but no extra math classes. The second one had math and the other two electives, but one of them was the weightlifting gym class. I sighed and looked at the third one. Only periods five and seven were filled in: mandatory senior classes - Consumer Economics and Montana History. I also was required to take a fourth year of English so I could chose between generic or advanced placement. Everything else was considered an elective. "How's your schedule looking, Renae? Annette will probably want to turn to you first," Adam stated.
"You're counting me in your group?" Renae asked. She sounded surprised. I looked up and gave her a quizzical look. She just shrugged her shoulders.
"Why wouldn't they they count you? You're my best friend, Nae," I replied. I looked over at Adam and Lauren. Marie had joined our group. The three of them nodded and smiled warmly.
"Of course we were counting you," Lauren replied. "Annette needs all the support and help she can get until she can come back to school, and like Adam said, she'll probably turn to you first because you two are so close." Renae opened her mouth to say something but was cut off.
"How long will you be out?" Marie asked. Two more people were behind her. 
"I'll be popping in once a week until I can get around on crutches without passing out. My pain killers are knockout worthy. Principal Lane has set specific terms and agreed to let me do this because I always have my work done ahead of time. I only requested that I still be treated like I'm still here, even though I'm not. It should be fairly easy since I've always tried to stay out of everyone's business and in the background," I replied. I shifted under the attention and bit my lip. I picked up my schedules again.
"We can do that," a voice piped up. I looked up and followed the voice. It belonged to Ryan. I bit my lip and looked down again as tears filled my eyes. "So figure out your class list and we'll make sure to have one person take notes for each class. You're not getting out of this," he ordered. My eyes shot up in a fury, but I kept calm. I don't like being told what to do.
"I don't need your help," I replied softly. He shrugged his shoulders.

"You never need any help, Annette. You're one of us though," he replied. "We're not going to rearrange everyone's schedules. You just need to know who to go to for your notes." I rolled my eyes and noticed a tear was falling. I wiped it away and looked at my folder again. I dug in my bag and pulled out a pen. I compared my schedules. AP math and English were definitely on my list. I looked at the two schedules. Math was first period, English was forth. I wrote them on the third schedule. 
"Two, three, and six are left," I murmured to myself. I looked at the schedules. Second period I could choose Physics or Computers. I bit my lip. I didn't care for either even though I was good at both. Third period was AP biology or choir. Easy choice. I grinned and wrote down choir. Sixth period choices were Spanish or Gym. I sighed. I finished the highest level of Spanish last year; there wasn't anything else the class could teach me. I closed my folder and tucked it into my bag. I rolled my chair forward, very few people moved out of my way. They were all busy looking at their schedules and talking. I looked over at Renae. She had immersed herself in a drawing on her folder. I sighed again. "Excuse me. I have to talk to Kyleen," I insisted as I tried to roll past everyone. Somebody grabbed my chair and pushed me forward. I looked over my shoulder and scowled. "I can do this myself, Ryan."
"Move people!" He bellowed. Our classmates cleared a path. He looked down at me, and spoke softly, "I know, Annie." I rolled my eyes and looked forward again. 
"Don't ever call me that again," I demanded harshly.
"Okay! I won't. I'm sorry," he replied. "Will you talk with me when this is all said and done?" I bit my lip as he steered me into the office. "Please? I won't cross the line again." I wiped a tear away as Kyleen approached the counter. 

"I'll think about it, Ryan. Hey, Kyleen. What other options are available for sixth period?" 
"You can drop one period. Senior privilege," she replied. I shook my head and she dug out the list of options. "Keep it in mind. You may change your schedule once after it's finalized, signed, and turned in." I nodded.
"Next question, Kyleen. Physics and computers are both classes that I can't do at home. There's too many notes from the teachers. If I choose one of them. No, uh. Well, if those are my only choices for second period then we might have a problem. Don't get me wrong, they both sound like great choices, it just," I started and paused. I didn't know how to finish that question.

"Take computers," a voice piped up from the doorway. I looked over my shoulder. Mrs. King, the computer teacher stood there. "Mainly, you'd be required to help get the senior slide show done for graduation." I smiled at her as she walked around and stood by the counter and started to sign the papers in her hand. "I appreciated your help last year with yearbook. Having you on hand would be fantastic for this project. The first month and a half we are going over flash and how it works and I would have the class turn in small assignments. Annette, I know you know how to use that program and it's something you can do from home. If you can create a usable website, I'll count it as your two month's work, no other assignments will be graded for you. It's a big project and I'd be happy to help you with any questions you have. First period is my prep period. We went over website building last year, remember?" I nodded.

"Thank you, Mrs. King. That sounds wonderful. What is the requirement for the website, other than it has to work? What is my subject?" I asked. She grinned.
"Whatever you choose, school appropriate of course. Pictures, clear wording, working links, header, and so on. I'll set a minimum of working links for the amount of time you'll be out of commission: one link per week with all the content for that page complete too," she stated and handed over her paperwork to Kyleen. 
"Perfect. Thank you! Now I just need sixth period," I replied and looked back at Kyleen. She handed over a paper. I studied it momentarily and grinned when I saw band was on the list. I bit my lip again. My flute was at my parent's house and I didn't want to rent or buy another one. I kept scrolling through the list. "Why is home ec crossed off?" I asked.
"Not enough student interest," Kyleen replied. I nodded and kept scanning. I sighed and pulled out my schedule again. I wrote computers in the second slot and band in the sixth. I signed the bottom and set the whole folder on the desk. I stuck my pen through my ponytail on the base of my neck.
"Can I have a copy please?" I asked. Kyleen nodded. 
"That's a great schedule, Annette," she praised as she made a copy. "You sure it won't be too much? One more question, locker number?" I grinned.

"No. I think it'll be just perfect. Enough to keep me busy. I'm not sure about the locker. Can I just have one on the end? Right side preferably with no doors, or lockers, or kids running into me," I replied. She nodded her agreement. "Thank you." She nodded again with a big grin and handed me back the copy. I folded it up and stuck it back in my backpack. I pushed with my left foot and tried to roll backwards. I sighed in disgust as I didn't move an inch, "okay! Fine, Ryan. I'll talk to you!"
"Not so fast, Annette," he replied. "May I see your schedule please?" I reluctantly pulled it back out, gave it to him, and he read it over quickly. "Math, computers, choir, English, lunch, consumer economics, band, and Montana history. Okay. Got it," he mumbled as he wheeled me back into the foyer where the rest of our class was still hanging out. "Listen up, peeps. Annette needs notetakers for her classes. She'll be gone for a good chunk of time but still needs to turn in her work. So who has math first period?" Ryan demanded. I rolled my eyes and rested my head on my hand, my elbow rested on the arm rest. 
"I don't need notes for math class," I stated as I rubbed my head. "Thank you though."
"So what? You're getting them anyway. Come on people. With the exception of Annette, I can't think of one person who actually will admit that they're taking a fourth year of math for fun. Someone has got to have math first period though. Come on. No underclassmen. Annette's one of us," Ryan barked. I closed my eyes and laughed mentally. Only three years of math was required in our school system, and most people would hate to admit they were being nerdy.
"I'm taking AP math first period," Dan piped up. I looked up and met his eyes, he looked uncomfortable, but he smiled warmly at me. "To get an engineering degree, I need as much math under my belt as I can get and I'd rather get it done now than in college. Advanced placement calculus will count as college credit; I know I can get the assistance I need here, but I can't guarantee it there. I can at least write down the daily assignments, Annette. I know you won't need my notes though." Several jaws of our classmates dropped in shock and I kept myself from doing the same as I smiled warmly at him.
"Thank you, Dan. Mr. Weaver would say you're making a wise choice. I wish you the best and know you'll make an excellent engineer," I replied sincerely and rubbed my head again. Dan smiled sheepishly at me and gave me a small nod.

"You don't need someone to pass you notes for second, third, or sixth periods. Fifth and seventh are required for everyone. So that just leave 4th period English," Ryan remarked.
"AP?" Renae asked. I nodded. She grinned. "I got you, Net!" I grinned.

"Thanks, Nae." I replied sincerely. She nodded and gave me a big smile.
"Great. So Renae has you covered for all classes," Ryan remarked. I rolled my eyes and grinned at her. She returned the gesture as Ryan continued, "next question, since you want us to treat you like your still here, I need to know if you are going to want to be a part of student council?"
"No thanks. Not my style," I scoffed as I lowered my hand. "Anything else? I'm overdue for a nap and a pain pill," I said softly then I bit my lip. 
"Almost done, Annette," Ryan started as Principal Lane walked out of his office into the foyer; he paused and looked us all over in shock. "I believe the first week of school we order our graduation robes and invites, right Mr. Lane?"

"That's right, Ryan. It's not common to see a class having a serious meeting and getting things accomplished, but I'm glad to see you guys are taking the initiative. Annette, as of right now, you're the top of the class. You will be required to give a speech at graduation, and I have to approve it before May. The sooner you get it in, the better. In the two months you'll be out of school, homecoming will also happen. If you want to them to treat you like you're not here, there's a high probability that you'll get nominated," Principal Lane confirmed. I bit my lip.

"That's fine. There's seven girls in our class, three have been our class nomination before. That leaves Marie, Mindy, Esther, and me as our four nominations. You can put me on the list to be voted for. However, I can't walk, so please don't vote for me," I insisted. I shifted in my seat again. "Whatever you guys choose for graduation is fine by me. Principal Lane, you can just send it home with Noah. As for my speech, I'll have it in by Christmas break if not sooner," I promised as I met Lauren's eye. She smiled warmly at me. "I was told that people are looking forward to hearing it, so I've been bouncing a few ideas around already," I confessed as I looked around at my class. "Please stop staring, guys. Thank you for your help. I'm going to pick up my books and I'll see you all later," I insisted as I tried to roll away again. My class nodded and broke off into small groups.
Principal Lane nodded, "sounds good, Annette. You should go home. Sooner rather than later. You look miserable. However, you're welcome to stick around." I nodded as he walked away. 
"Annette, I'd be happy to help you pick up your books right now," Ryan insisted as he placed my schedule back in my lap. I glanced at it and noticed he wrote on my schedule; Dan, Renae, and speech were scribbled in the margins. I scowled, quickly put it away, then I rested my head again in my hand, and caught Renae's eye. She grinned and came over. 
"Ryan, I can help her collect her books. She's heading to my house later," she said sweetly. 

"Sorry, Renae. I need two minutes. You can help her later but I'm not letting her out of my sight right now. Annette, a word. In private," Ryan demanded. I blinked back tears and looked at Renae. She looked between Ryan and I with pursed lips but didn't move. I put my hand up in exasperation.
"Okay! Fine!" I exclaimed, realizing that he wouldn't leave me alone until I gave him what he wanted. Ryan grunted and wheeled me down a hallway. I bit my lip and wiped another tear away from my eye. "I don't like being forced into things, Ryan. Say your piece and leave me alone," I begged as he steered me towards the corner. He turned me around and knelt in front of me. I pressed my knees together and glowered at him, covering my scowl with my hand. He sighed, looked down, and rubbed his wrist. I looked at his wrist and bit my lip. "How'd it heal?" I asked softly. He showed me, raising his hand up to my eye level but not touching me. I met his eye momentarily before loojing at his wrist; it was practically healed, a thin pink line remained where the knife had touched his skin.
"Fine. It's practically healed. These pink lines have been disappearing more everyday; I won't scar. But you didn't walk away scarless from that place and you're upset at me. You have every right to be. I messed up big time," he replied softly as he held.my gaze and pulled his hand back into his lap. His hazel eyes were laced with guilt and pain. "I appreciated that you found a way to make sure I had that number, but for the life of me I couldn't remember why that number was carved in my wrist. After I woke up again, I had some help in recalling the day. I remembered they took you, took us. The last thing I can clearly remember was you being kicked around and then you were just laying there and didn't move or cry out. I thought the best case scenario would be if they killed you with one of those blows and it destroyed me. I didn't want you to die, but I also didn't think you should be getting beat up. I spent days rubbing my wrist and trying to remember why it was so important, because why else would it be carved on my wrist. Sunday morning, I finally figured out this was your parents phone number. Your dad thanked me and told me never to call again. Then Janell called me. Anni-sorry. Annette, I am very sorry for what happened in the hospital. I did want to thank you."

"Just a ploy for your sympathy, 'Nettie. Don't buy it," I ordered mentally as he rested his hand on my knee. "Did you thank Lauren in the same way?" I asked dryly. My whole body was tense, but he didn't notice. "What about Adam? They voted you home too."
"That's not why I wanted to thank you," Ryan said softly. He sighed and dropped his head, looking at my knee and his hand. "You stopped those creeps from hurting us further. You are so selfless. Can we start over?" I bit my lip, looked down, and wiped another tear from my eye. "I know I messed up. I would like to say I wasn't in my right mind, but I was. I knew exactly what I was doing. Seeing you laying on that bed and being so weak, I thought that I may never get another chance. I was dumb. Can you forgive me and give me another chance please?" He begged as he looked up again. I sighed angrily and looked down at my lap, refusing to look into his eyes. 

"I can be civil with you. One day, maybe friends. Ryan, I don't feel comfortable with you," I admitted. I looked up at him and glared again as I pushed his hand off my knee. "You will not touch me again. Next time, I won't hesitate to call the cops. Do not ask to date, I'll turn you down. Immediately. But I can work on being your friend again." He smiled as I rested my elbow on the armrest and let my head fall into my hand.

"Thank you, that's all I'm asking. I don't mind people being mad at me, but coming from you, it hurts. I never thought that it would be possible for you to hurt someone, but you can," he confessed. I huffed in indignation and lowered my hand away from my head. I took a calming breath as I looked at him again. 

"I'm disappointed in you, Ryan. I'm hurt by you. But I don't think I'm mad. Defensive maybe, but not mad," I told him softly. "Never mention it or try it again," I demanded. 

"You got it, Anni-net," Ryan promised. "Thank you for saving us."
"You're welcome. Anything else?" I asked wearily through grit teeth. 
"Are you still single?" He smirked. I glared.
"I told you not to ask. No. I'm not. Even if I was, the answer would still be no. You squandered that chance," I insisted as I clenched my left fist and winced in pain.
"I'm happy for you. I wasn't asking for me. I was hoping to get you to lighten up, because there still is something missing: your smile. I know you have people who care about you, so think of your boyfriend and you can ignore me for the rest of your life. I just needed to know that this year wouldn't be awkward and that you can still smile," Ryan pressed. I wiped my eyes and offered a half smile. Ryan nodded. "There it is. Thanks, Annette." He stood up and pushed me down the hall. "Need to stop in here?" Ryan asked outside of the computer lab. I bit my lip. 
"Don't think so. Thanks," I replied. Renae was waiting for us at the end of the hallway. "Hey, Renae. Thanks for waiting."
"No problem, Net. Come with me to the choir room. Apparently we have a new teacher," she commanded. I nodded. Ryan let her take over and she wheeled me to down the next corridor.  "Why is Ryan stepping up and pulling you aside? Isn't he still just a jerk?"
"Yes. He is," I admitted. "He didn't get a chance to thank me. He was one of the four of us that was kidnapped a few weeks back." I bit my lip. I didn't want to talk about this. "Has my dad tried to contact you, Renae?"

"Surprisingly, no. Your brother gave me the quick rundown, and I know your past. You don't have to talk about that either. So are you thinking fun and crazy for your cast? Or creepy and gore-ish? I can go feminine and flirty. Or a combination of all the above. Whatever you want. Think about it," she insisted as she wheeled me into the music room. I quickly dried my eyes and put on a smile. "Hello?" Renae called out as she weaved through the piles of music stacked everywhere.
"Oh yes? Hello, ladies! I'm Mr. Ravenitch. I wasn't expecting to see anyone until tomorrow. Guess I better get on my game and start cleaning up around here," an older gentleman stated as he walked out of his office. His stark white hair didn't match the rest of him; there was hardly any wrinkles on his face and he walked with a pep in his step that I didn't find in too many older people. I had a feeling I would enjoy being in his class.
"We're sorry to disturb you, sir, we wanted to introduce ourselves," I stated as I shook out my hand. "I'm Annette. I'll be in your third period choir and sixth period band. However, sir, I won't be here for a couple of days. Actually more like weeks." He shook my hand.

"Yes. Gibson?" He asked as he dropped my hand. I nodded. "I was told about you; all of the staff was. I'm not to mark you absent until after October twenty-something, but I'll probably won't mark you absent until November first. Do you have a minute. I'd like to find out where to place your voice." I nodded. He looked up at Renae. 
"Hello. I'm Renae. Usually I would be in your class, but I had to choose between art and choir," she replied. I gasped in shock. Then shook my head. Renae was a gifted artist and I was happy for her. 
"That's a shame. I'd love to have you here. Do you have any open periods?" Mr. Ravenitch asked. 
"Second. I'm get to expand my art portfolio and spend an hour and a half every day on it. When I graduate, it's art school or a tattoo parlor," she admitted. I smiled warmly.
"I'll buy a piece when you're a professional," I told her. 
"I wish you the best, young lady. Now. Ms. Gibson, soprano or alto?" Mr. Ravenitch asked me.

"Soprano. I have five cracked ribs and can't get a good breath in. It won't sound good if I start singing," I confessed. He chuckled. 

"I understand, but in order to place the group properly, I need to know what you can do. Give it your best shot. Star spangled banner," he ordered as he walked down the the piano.
"Don't push me too close the edge, Renae! I don't want to take another spill," I exclaimed as Renae pushed me near the edge of the cement risers that looked like wide base stairs and lowered into the pit where the piano was stored. She giggled and locked my wheels before my right leg was fully over the edge. I looked at Mr. Ravenitch and nodded. He began to softly play the intro. I sat up tall, took as deep as a breath as I could, and came in right on cue. 
"Beautiful! Keep it going!" Mr. Ravenitch praised he began to play a different tune on the piano. I put my finger in my ear and kept singing the instructed tune. "Change octaves," he ordered. I did as I was told. "Artist, forgive me, I forgot your name already. I know you aren't in my class, but can you join in? Ms. Gibson, harmonize." I looked up at Renae and let her take the lead. She was an alto so I changed keys again and harmonized. I started coughing when we got to the 'bombs bursting in air'. Both Renae and Mr. Ravenitch stopped. 
"Sorry," I whimpered and grabbed my chest.
"No need to apologize. Heal those lungs up. That was impressive, Ms. Gibson. You have a strong voice, even on little power. Perfect pitch. You can go high and low. You harmonized beautifully and change keys without a problem. You didn't even falter when I was playing happy birthday at random intervals, nor did you need me to cue you in. You will be a valuable asset," he praised.

"Thank you, sir. I'll be coming in every Friday. I planned on talking to all my teachers and see if I needed to do anything. I can swing by and pick up my music I need to learn and give you another progress report. I won't be able to play the flute as well until I'm healed. Breathing's a little different. I appreciate your respect, sir, but could you call me Annette please? Ms. Gibson is just so formal and this school is anything but," I replied. He grinned and Renae giggled.
"Yes, yes. Thank you. Mainly pep band stuff is what we would be working on. No offense but flutes don't have a lot of leads. As for choir, don't worry about learning any songs right now. Take your time and heal. Pleased to meet you, Ms. Gibson. Good luck with your drawing, Ms.-"
"Renae," she interrupted. 
"Yes, yes! Renae. Take care, ladies," Mr. Ravenitch bid us farewell with a small wave as he scribbled in a notebook that was resting on the piano bench beside him. Renae wheeled me out.
"Thanks, Nae. Why'd you want me to meet him first?" I asked as we went down the next hallway. "I wish you the best with your artwork too, by the way. I look forward to see what you can do, Ms. Artist." She giggled again.
"Think he's gonna be one of the teachers that will call you any name because he's forgetful?" She teased. I giggled and shrugged my right shoulder. "I wanted to start there because I heard he was doing that. Marie was bragging about it and being the best in the class. I wanted you to shove it in her face. I love your voice, Net. Do me a favor and wow everyone this year?" Renae begged. I looked down and blushed. "Now about your cast?" She asked again. I grinned.
"I only have two requests. No blood or goriness, and I need a shield. It needs an explosion behind an anchor on it, but without smoke," I replied. 
"Cool! I can easily design something around that! I'm using paint though. Your cast is a little dark for markers," Renae stated and took me to each classroom. The books I collected sat on my lap. All of my teachers were as understanding as Mrs. King. After we talked to everyone, Renae wheeled me out the doors. She turned me around backwards. "Your brother said that was the best option for going out doors," she offered.
I looked up and grinned at her. "He was correct. Thanks, Renae. You're a great friend."
"I'm leaving you backwards, Net. Juniors and sophomores are coming," she explained as she paused momentarily. The chair jerked slightly as she moved again. "You're a better, friend, Annette. I'm quite thankful for you. Hey, Noah!"
"Hey, Renae. That was a little longer than expected. May I?" Noah asked.
"Sure! Thanks. I think she's in pain. Not that she would tell us," Renae replied. "I'm parked down there."

"Hey, 'Nettie. I see you killed two birds with one stone. Looks like you don't have to come back tomorrow," Noah remarked as he gestured to the books in my lap. I looked up at him and grinned. He began pushing me towards Renae's car.
"Crowds make me nervous. I felt at risk for potentially more harm. If I had to collect books around everyone being there, I might pass out from fear. I'll still be here in the morning though," I confessed I looked at Renae, "and yes. I'm in pain. You seem to know me better than myself!"

"That's what friends are for," she giggled. "What's the best way to help you?"
"I need help standing up and keeping my balance. I can hop as long as I can hold onto something, but my wheelchair is a must. My balance is severely skewed and I won't ask you or your parents to help keep me on my feet," I explained as Noah parked the wheelchair next to her passenger door. He grabbed the books off my lap and placed them on top of her car.

"I'll take these home, 'Nettie," he stated and grabbed my hand. I stood up cautiously. He opened up the passenger door. I held his hand has I hopped closer to the seat. I held onto the door as I sat down. I hissed in pain as I lifted my right leg into the car. Noah leaned over and supported my leg. "You know, 'Nettie, it's okay to ask for help," he teased. I gave him a small smile and a nod.

"I know. You do realize that without my boyfriend hovering, I can actually try and do something on my own," I retorted with a chuckle. Noah grinned.
"Don't overdo it, 'Nettie. Where are your pain pills?" He asked. I dug in my bag and pulled out the ziplock baggie. Then I pulled out a bottle of water and handed it to him. He opened it for me and passed it back. I took a drink and popped half a pill in my mouth. I swallowed and showed him. He grinned and took my water back. "Well done, sister. I'll keep this. No need for you to panic about it later." He stood up and closed the door. I put my shoe back in my bag then watched my brother show Renae how to fold up the wheelchair. Then he loaded it into the trunk. Renae waved at him as he took my books and walked back to his car. Renae paused for a moment while she talked to Lauren and Adam, then finally got in the driver's seat as they walked away hand in hand.
"Okay. What did you do with my best friend? You have the popular clique trying to know your every move. I thought you weren't so petty," she teased as she drove off.
"Nothing! I swear. I just refused to let them get hurt," I told her honestly. "It's a choice I would have made for anyone; you know that. I'm still me. I would rather hang out with you than them any day."
"Awh! You love me! I do know that. You're just so selfless. It's impressive and I love you for it, Net," she replied.
"Thanks, Renae. I'm looking forward to hanging out tonight. I've missed it," I remarked. She looked over and grinned at me.

"Me too. So a boyfriend, huh?" She giggled. "This summer's been a bore and I need juicy gossip. How long have you had a boyfriend?"

"One-two weeks. Not long. He's taken me out to breakfast, but we haven't actually gone on a date yet. Although, we've kissed plenty," I replied around a blush. She giggled.

"That's fine. Does he treat you well?" She asked. I nodded.

"The best," I admitted. "He was nervous about me coming up here. He's very overprotective. You met him. Pat Miller. He offered me his home after he found out Dad kicked me out."
"From the hospital? The one who carried you out into the room? The one missing a leg?" She asked as she turned up her road. I nodded. "I'm happy for you, Net. The way he looked at you, well, it made me blush. And I didn't mean to make it sound like his defining feature was his leg. He's rather cute." I giggled as she parked her car. 
"It's fine, Nae. I kinda forget about his leg most of the time. It doesn't make him any less of a person. Truth be told, I didn't even notice it for several months until after I met him, and we met in summer! He never wore pants, I swear," I replied. She smiled at me.
"I know. You're probably the only person who sees the best in a person before the flaws show up; anyone else would just see a wounded vet. I mean, that's what I saw, but I also saw a friend you trusted and that meant more to me. Now, I should have had your brother stick around. Any thoughts on you you're supposed to get up the stairs?"
"I have an idea, it won't require you to lift," I promised. "But I do need the chair until I get to the stairs. As soon as Noah said he made arrangements for me to come here, I thought of that. I didn't mention it to my over protective entourage. They would've rebuked this privilege until I can get around better. Believe it or not, I just need time with my best friend," I giggled. "I've been working on another technique to move around. I think it will work." She nodded.

"Great! Let's go inside. Mom's missed you too," she replied as she got out. I unbuckled and opened the door, holding onto it as I hopped out. "Hey, stop it. You can't get hurt again. How can I help?" She asked in concern as she brought out the wheelchair.
"I'm good. Please don't baby me too. You were the one person I could count on to not do that," I replied with a slight frown. She laughed merrily and gave me a side hug. I held onto her car as I sat in the wheelchair. "Do you mind pushing me until we get to the stairs? I can get around inside, but this uneven ground is a whole another story."

"You got it, Net," she replied with a giggle. She wheeled me to her porch. "Now what?"

"I need to stand up. I'm going to go up your stairs backwards, sitting down. I can do this," I replied. She grinned and helped me stand up.

"I know you can, Annette. You're remarkably strong, more than people give you credit for. You're my hero," she remarked. I grinned and took a deep breath. I reached over and grabbed railing. Carefully I lowered myself down as I released my air. Renae beamed at me. "Two stairs at a time! Annette, you're going to make this look easy," she teased. I shook my head.
"One at a time. Safety reasons," I retorted, panting for air. I put my right hand down on the step behind me and left foot down on the step below me. I braced and moved up a stair. I looked at at her and grinned. "Good thing I only have to do this on three of the steps instead of all of them." She chuckled. I took another breath and repeated the process. I paused and tried to catch my breath. I looked up at her again. "Pat would kill me," I smirked. "Sorry for taking so long. I promise I won't take this long when you're ready to leave."
"You're fine, Annette. This is impressive," she remarked. I took a deep breath and moved to her top step. She sat down on the bottom step and tried to do the same thing. "Dang! This is not easy. Way to go!" She praised. She stood up and brought the wheelchair to the top level. "Wheels are locked. Stand up, Ney." I nodded and stood up. My foot wasn't on the porch, but I was standing on the top step. I was able to sit down. 
"Piece of cake," I beamed as I panted heavily. "No matter how out of breath I am." She giggled and wheeled me inside. She positioned me at the table and disappeared into her room and came out with her art bag. 
"Why do you have to go back to school in the morning if you got all your stuff today?" Renae asked as she positioned my right leg on a kitchen chair then she lowered the leg rest on my wheelchair. Then she pulled up another chair and got her paints ready. "Is this comfortable? I can't do the top and leave the back bare." I nodded. "Good. Now, pop of color? I mean colors?" She asked with a smirk.
"Of course!" I giggled as I put my bag on the table. "I have to go back because I'm meeting Jess for breakfast. I don't want to trouble you mom. If I called them up here, I'd get a freak out from Jess and her brother, my brother, and my boyfriend. 'How'd you get up those stairs? Is there another entrance? How is that helping yourself?' Really it would just be constant fussing and I'm so over that," I mimicked my Pat with a giggle. 
"Gotcha. Well Mom's heading out before I have to be at school; she's got to take Dad to another appointment. Dad's cancer treatments are going good, but Mom's not handling it well." Renae told me solemnly. She looked up from her art and grinned. "I have got ulterior plans for having you here," she teased and went back to her work. 

"I'm happy to help out. I'm sorry about your dad's cancer. Is he any closer to remission?" 
"Good days and bad days. I think he's getting better, but I don't know. I'm preparing for the worst," she stated glumly.
"No. He can beat this, Renae," I replied. She looked up at me and grinned.
"That's one of the many reasons why I love you, Annette. You're always a beacon of positivity and light. Even in the most dire of circumstances. I don't know how you do it," she confessed.
"It's to balance out all you mucky mires," I teased. She giggled. My bag vibrated I opened it up and searched for my phone. "You're the only person I'm giving this number out to," I stated as I pulled it out and answered without looking at who was calling. "Hello?"
"Hey, doll," Pat crooned.

"Hey, Pat. Weren't you supposed to be catching fish with your bare hands?" I teased. Renae ducked her head as she grinned. 
"Yeah. Josh has other plans. I was just checking in and letting you know you didn't have to call and tell me how to cook. He's apparently on a mission to confiscate my phone. I was hoping to catch you before he did so. I love hearing your voice," he murmured. I giggled. "That's my favorite sound, you know?"

"My laughter?" I giggled again, and Pat snickered softly too, confirming it. "Or were you talking about my voice?"
"Both, doll," Pat chuckled. "Miss you. Is it tomorrow yet?"
"It's all about balance, dear. I'd call Josh and tell him you're misbehaving again, but I don't have his number - lucky you. Besides, right now you're interrupting quality girl time. Noah's concerned that you're going to suffocate me - theoretically. All because we're too intense apparently. I missed hanging out with my friends. I love the change of scenery. I'm good. Renae and I are at her home. We're chatting idly away. I've taken a pain pill. There have been no time jumps. I'm not slurring. Thanks for checking in," I replied sincerely.

"Doll, don't hang up," he begged. 

"Pat, step back and breathe. You got on fine before me. I'll see you tomorrow. I'm going to hang up. I don't get a lot of time with Renae," I stated calmly. I bit my lip; I wanted to see him too. I loved hearing his voice just as much as I enjoyed being in his arms, but I needed time with Renae. She seemed to balance me out. 
"Doll, I'm afraid of losing you," Pat confessed. I sighed and looked at Renae, pleading mentally for a word of advice. She met my eye then giggled as she went back to her paints.
"I'm not going anywhere," I promised. "I'll stay away longer if you don't let me get off the phone right now. Thanks for caring about me, dear."
"I always will, doll," Pat whispered. On his line I heard pounding on the door. 
"Let me in, Pat!" Josh demanded.

"Doll, I can't spend any more time with him," Pat pleaded in a quiet voice. 
"You'll be fine. You still owe him for that milkshake. I care about you deeply; some may even consider it love. I want to talk to Josh," I ordered with a chuckle.
"Yes, ma'am, but not right now. I love you too, doll; you should stop avoiding your emotions. Send me one picture please," Pat begged.

"I'll think about it. Now, would you please release your phone. I need to talk to your friend," I replied. I heard Pat sigh.

"About time. For me? Hello?" Josh asked.
"Hey, Josh. You've successfully confiscated his phone. Keep it out of his reach. It's like I told him earlier. Separation is healthy. I'm fine. Tell him to knock it off. He's behaving quite childish," I remarked. Josh laughed.
"Thanks, Annette. Dude! Back off. She told me. NO! Patrick Miller," Josh replied. I giggled. "Hang on, Net." 
"You put it down! Give it back! I'm not done talking to her," Pat pleaded. 
"Don't make me hurt you. Get in there!" Josh ordered. I heard a bit of scuffling and a door slamming as Josh exclaimed, "it's for your own good! I love both of you, but she's right! Separation is healthy. She's yours! She'll come back." He sighed as his voice got louder. "Sorry about that, Annette. Forgive me, but tonight he's drinking," Josh replied. The air hissed past my lips as I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I promise, I'll take care of him. You're fine, right?"
"Yes. Now he's in good hands, and so am I; my best friend is disappointed I'm not talking to her. You didn't hurt him did you?"
"No. I didn't hurt him. I just locked him in the bathroom. I'll let him out when I hang up," he promised. I heard more pounding on a door. 
"Is he always this dependent?"
"Actually, no. You've warped him, Annette. I've never seen him care so much about someone. I love it," Josh chuckled. "Stop it!" He yelled as I heard more pounding on the door. "Net, I got to go. I know you have issues with drinking, but he needs it. He needs to relax somehow, and since he doesn't have you and I'm not snuggli- oh come on! F**k! Pat, stop it. Your lady says you're behaving like a child. Since I'm not going to snuggle with him like you do, liquor is my best bet."
"That's fine, Josh. I'm going to spend time with my friend and not worry about what's going on with him. I trust you, both of you. You know him best and he has been a bit hoverish lately. He needs to loosen up. Reassure him I'm fine and that I love him. Good night," I replied.
"Say that last part one more time," he ordered.
"Good-bye?"
"No. The part before."
"Fine. Reassure Pat that I'm fine and I love him," I repeated, giving Renae a quizzical look. She was immersed in her art and wasn't paying attention.

"Good night, Annette. He loves you too. Thanks," Josh responded. I hung up and powered off the phone.
"Men," I huffed and rolled my eyes. 
"A bit clingy?" Renae chuckled.
"YES!" I exclaimed and giggled. "I love the attention and want to give him all my time, but he's going a little overboard. This break is necessary. I can breathe and move. I don't feel like a porcelain doll. He treats me like I'm on top of the world, but he's so afraid of me getting hurt."
"Does he not know you? You can obviously take a few blows. You aren't as breakable as people would like to assume," Renae mused and lifted my leg rest again. "Done. When this dries, I'll do the back side." I looked down at the cast and gasped. The shield was the focus but a lighthouse was beside it, with its light shining onto the shield.
"Renae! That's amazing!" I praised. She grinned. "Can I thank you by making dinner?"
"No! I got pizza, girls. Hey, Nae. Hey, NeNe! Besides, I can't have you cooking here; you're our guest," Renae's mom stated as she came in the door. She walked over and looked at my cast. "Looks good, Nae! Wow. A medieval nautical theme! I love it."

"Hey, Darlene!" I beamed. She put the pizza on the table and kissed the top my head.

"Welcome back, NeNe. I'm happy to see you again. It's been too long. I'm sorry you're all banged up, but you still look lovely," Darlene remarked as she walked around the room. I grinned at the nickname she gave me. It happened purely by accident. Renae and I were bored when we were doing our biology homework, so we decided to try and liven up our night by spelling our names with our periodic tables. Spelling Annette, I ended up with gold, neon, neon, tellurium, so even though it was wrong, I had written AuNeNeTe on my paper. I chuckled when Darlene pointed out I must have been tired because I didn't need the extra neon. I've been NeNe in her eyes ever since.

"Hey, Mom. You're still scattered brained. Your glasses are on your head. Plates are in the cupboard," Renae chuckled. I grinned. Renae got us both some root beer to drink. 

"Where's Bob? I haven't seen him yet," I noted. Darlene pursed her lips and Renae looked solemn as she sat down again. I quickly changed the subject. "Will you eat with us, Darlene? I haven't talked to you in ages."

Darlene grinned and sat down. "It has been too long. I'm glad you came by," she replied and grabbed a slice of pizza. I moved my backpack to the back of my chair and Renae moved her art supplies. We both grabbed a slice of pizza and ate in silence as per the Peterson family rule: no talking during dinner. About twenty minutes later, I was finishing up my second slice while the Peterson women had finished their third slice. Darlene piped up again, "NeNe, did you know that Spartan had a foal?"

"No!" I gasped as I hid my finale bite behind my hand. I swallowed and looked at her. "When?"
"About a month ago. He's the sweetest little cinnamon colored spitfire I ever met," Darlene chuckled.

"That sounds likes a swell name!" I praised.

"Spitfire?" Renae asked. I nodded. "Yeah that does sound better than Eugene." I giggled.
"Bob?"
"Bob," Darlene confirmed. I heard coughing from her bedroom. I bit my lip. 
"Do you think he'd mind if I poked my head in to say hello?" I asked kindly. Renae looked up at me and her eyes twinkled. I looked at Darlene, she had tears in her downcast eyes. "I'd squeeze your hand but my left side is kinda immobile right now." She looked up and gave me a small grin. 
"He'd love to see you, Annette. Are you sure you don't mind?" Darlene asked.
"Of course not. You guys are like family. I hate seeing you all so downcast," I replied honestly. 
"You're a sweetheart, NeNe. I'm glad you're here. Go ahead," Darlene granted me permission. I smiled at her and worked my way to his door.
"Can I help?" Renae offered. I looked back at her and grinned.

"Sure. I guess so. Thanks, Nae," I replied. She walked us to her parent's bedroom door. I knocked. "Mr. Peterson, it's Annette. Can I come in?" I heard coughing on the other side of the door. Then some scuffling.
The door creaked open. "Hey, Angel," he gasped as he kissed Renae's head.

"Hey, Dad. You look worse than dinosaur fossils. Still love you though," Renae grinned and leaned into her dad and gave him a hug.
"Hey, Annette. Welcome back," he said weakly. I stood up and gave him a hug. 

"Hey, Bob," I grinned. "It's good to see you, sir." I lowered myself back down into my chair.

"I didn't think I'd see anyone who was worse off than me. How you holding up, kiddo?" He asked. Renae pushed me into the living room. Bob followed us.
"Just fine, sir. I'm in lots of pain, but I'm okay. I'm not letting them win. I'm still fighting, still smiling," I replied.
"That you are, Net. Keep it up," Bob said weakly and coughed.

"Should you be out here, sir?" I asked. He looked up at me and nodded.

"Renae told us about you being your own legal guardian now and that you moved out of your parent's house. I wish you would have told us about the abuse; we would have had you over more. Not only for your own safety, but because we care about you and feel like you're part of our family. Where are you staying, kiddo?" Bob asked. Darlene came over and sat beside me.

"My brother is taking care of me. I also have a very protective boyfriend. Neither of them is letting me hurt myself. And both of them are keeping me off Dad's radar too," I replied. Everyone in the room nodded.

"You know you're always welcome to come over here, Annette. You're more than my best friend or the person who accepted me and my craziness. Like Dad said, you're family," Renae insisted. I grinned.

"Thank you. You have no idea how happy that makes me," I replied my eyes brimmed with tears. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, NeNe. You're like the perfect fit to our family," Darlene stated softly. She leaned over and whispered in my ear, "thanks for getting Bob to join us. He's been stuck in his room for the past month." I grinned and leaned into her.

"My pleasure, Mama Peterson," I replied in the same tone. 

Renae grinned at me and exclaimed, "you need to come by more often, Net!"

"I think that can be arranged," I promised around a yawn. "Noah has always been a fan of you. And since I'm practically on bed rest and taking it easy, requesting a change scenery isn't that difficult; everyone seems ready to bend over backwards for me. Besides, I love hanging out with you guys." After forty-five minutes of conversing, and several minutes of silence, I looked at my best friend. "What's on the agenda next, Nae?"

"Well more painting if you're up for it. I'm not done; the back still needs to be painted. I think I need to put in Lord of the Rings too, just because," she replied nonchalantly. "I think I'm going to try the Michelangelo style," she grinned and repositioned my foot in the same way she had before.  

"Sounds good to me," I giggled. Renae grabbed her paints and positioned herself under my leg. 

"Don't stay up too late, girls," Bob warned. "You have school tomorrow. I'm going back to bed. Good night, my N's. I'll try not to turn into a pile of oil in the night."

"Good night, Mr. Peterson." 

"Night, Dad. Love you."

"I think I'll join you. We've got an early start to our day. Good night, girls," Darlene murmured as she helped Bob down the hallway.

"Love ya, Mama Peterson," I hollered. Renae chuckled from the floor. "What?"

"Nothing. I'm just glad to hear someone else call her Mom," she replied.

"Well you guys are family, right?" I retorted. She giggled again. I grinned and yawned again. "Ugh! All I do is sleep any more. It sucks," I grumbled with a hint of a chuckle. Renae joined me. 

"I broke my arm when I was like five. I would have loved to have you around back then. I slept, took pain pills, tried to run around, and slept some more. I get it, Annette. Sleep is your body's natural defense," she replied as she sat up. She pulled the chair my leg was resting on closer. "I'm just glad you came back, Net. I couldn't face another year of our classmates without you. Did you know I was suicidal right before I met you? Of course you didn't. Like I said, Annette, you see the good before you see any flaws. I was 12 years old and highly considering to take my own life. I'm in a good mindset now; have been since I met you. Back then, everyone made fun of me for being so different. Then you came along and immediately accepted me. People still tease me about being different, but it doesn't bug me at all now because I've taken your words to heart; being unique is not a problem and shouldn't be frowned upon. Annette you really are the glue that holds everyone together. Life without you in is bleak at best."

"For everyone but my family," I countered. "Noah doesn't count." She grinned.

"It's because you are so full of joy and light. Your dad hated not being able to be in control of your emotions. I've noticed for a few years now. After everything he's done, you still tried to protect him. Your biological code is programmed to love and protect and it filters out to those around you. That's why Pat is so worried about you. When you're not around, the sun just doesn't shine as bright," Renae remarked. "You've been saving people from the moment you meet them. You did it in the hospital too. I overheard the nurses. You made their job easy. Everyone was giving up hope when you wouldn't wake up or be able to check out, but not you. They couldn't believe that you sat up and smiled after your ordeal. Of course that came as no surprise to me."

"That's not the reason Pat's concerned about me," I replied. I took a deep breath and told her about my incident from last week. "Part of me wanted to give up, Nae. Part of me questions why didn't I. It's hard being me. Everyone looks to me for strength: my brother, his wife - er well one day she will be, her brother, several co-workers, and I feel like that list could just grow. Yes, sometimes I even feel like you're on the list, but no I don't look at it like a burden. Never have. I love all of you guys and want you to always put your best foot forward, and I'll happily encourage that. I don't mind that you guys see me in that light. Sometimes I just want to be weak and I don't want everyone looking towards me for encouragement or strength. Especially now when I feel like I'm falling apart. Like soon someone is going to be taking my last crutch I have and therefore taking my life support away from me. I know I'm broken, yet nobody sees me as that. I don't get what people see in me. I love sharing joy and happiness, but eventually my light is going to dim out."

"I get that too, Net. It's hard to be a beacon of hope for yourself. Definitely call him. I'd be concerned about you too if I witnessed you go through that. I'm not surprised he's clingy; you're absolutely amazing. You gave him a little reassurance earlier, but I think you need to take it up a notch. I'll do my best to shine for you, but I'm fairly certain my light's black," she teased. I grinned.

"I'd give you a hug right now but," I trailed off. She crawled out from under my leg, stood up, and gave me a hug.

"I got you covered, Net," she beamed as she let go and sat down beside me on the floor, leaning against the couch. 

"Thanks, Nae. I don't think you glow black. Maybe an ominous orange or red. Fun. Different. I'm glad you didn't snuff your light out. You're amazing. I'd have a harder time fitting in with our class without you. Who else could I turn to when my dad's a jerk and have them go, 'well just imagine if you were cheese' just so I could get my mind off of it?" I replied with a grin. She gave me a small smirk as she put her paints away. "I've depended on you and your strength too. I love how you never approach the world in the same light as everyone else. I love your carefree spirit and I love how you can bring out my morbid sense of humor. I've always seen you as creative and unique, and that's what I love about you."

"Good. Now call Pat and tell him what you love about him. Don't joke it away. You have this bad habit of trying to joke away your emotions ; it works with me, but he needs the raw version now. Don't shut him out, Net. He makes you happy and you deserve that. I'm going to clean my brushes. Then I need to go brush the horses and check on their water," Renae replied as she made her way to the kitchen. "You can sleep wherever. Just don't hurt yourself, okay?"

"Deal. Thanks," I replied with a grin as I dug out my phone and called Pat. He picked up on the second ring.

"Hi, doll," he crooned.

"Hey, hun," I replied. "So Josh gave you back your phone?"

"Yeah. I had one beer with him and that sufficed him. Apparently I was a little tense," Pat replied softly. 

"You can have another. You've been awfully stressed lately. I know it's my fault and I'm sorry. I don't mean to cause you any undue strife and conflict," I responded. "I won't hold it against you if you drink more. I know you would never hurt me."

"Never, doll. You are mine to protect, cherish, and love. I don't need another drink. Now why do you sound so solemn? Are you hurt?" Pat asked, his voice raising in concern. 

Tears fell down my cheek as I gave my speech, but my voice didn't crack. "No. I'm fine. I'm not solemn, just trying to be serious for a minute. I have something I need to tell you. It's new for me. Pat, I'm opening up my doors and letting you in completely. Please bare with me. This is exceptionally difficult for me," I told him. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Doll, you don't have to. I have a foot in the door right now. As long as you don't you stomp on it, I'm not going anywhere," he promised. 

"Dear, that's not being helpful. I want to be completely vulnerable with you. But if you would rather I just hang up," I teased. He chuckled.

"NO! Please don't hang up, doll. I'm sorry. I'm not going to lie. If you want to be vulnerable, I'd prefer it was in person so I could comfort you afterwards. I can tell that you are sincere and committed, so I'll be quiet and just listen," he replied softly. I grinned and released another shaky breath.

"Thank you. Okay, so Renae offered me some insight. Well all of the Petersons did. Pat, I wanted to tell you that I love your caring spirit. You motivate me to press on, but if I feel like I can't, you hold me until I can. You encourage me to take it easy and let others take care of me; it's the hardest thing for me to do, but I want to please you and I love that you are so willing to step up. I love that you are highly overprotective of me. I love how you make my heart stop and flutter all at the same time. I love that you give me hope. With the exception of Noah, no other person has ever been able to do that. I'm terrified I'm going to let you down. I'm terrified that I will hurt you. I don't feel worthy of you, but Renae pointed out something I never considered. She said I was the glue that holds everyone together and that life without me is bleak at best. Pat, I need you," I explained. Then I paused as a sob escaped.

"Breathe, doll," Pat ordered calmly as I took another deep breath and continued.

"I need you because I can't shine for myself. I can't be strong for myself any more. I'm tired and weak, but feel complete in your arms. My glue may hold everyone else together, but you hold me together. I didn't want to fall for anyone so hard or fast; especially for someone as great as you. I thought I was perfectly okay with just keeping the world out, figuring it out on my own. I'm glad that you stepped up and broke down my barriers. I love the fact that you know exactly what to say to make me feel better. I love the fact that you never give up on me. I love how you make me feel safe and protected. Most of all, you make me feel beautiful and cherished; I've never felt that before. I don't know if I actually make the sun shine brighter or if I have this joy bubble that spreads protection and love, but what I do know is that I need you to keep pressing on," I wept.

"Shh, doll. You're doing just fine. Thank you for your words. Is there more?" Pat asked kindly. I shook my head then laughed. "You alright, love?"

"I'm fine. I just shook my head and realized you can't see me. I don't think I have anything else to say," I admitted. "I'm drained, dear. I didn't think it would take this much out of me. Renae persuaded me to tell you this."

"Sounds like you should hang out with Renae more often. My friend on the other hand, is not as good on convincing me to open up," he chuckled. I laughed. "Doll, I'm glad you called and opened your door more for me. You friend is smart, and she's 100% correct. Life is brighter with you in it. I can hear the birds singing happily. I am dazzled by the sunlight. The stars twinkle and shine brighter when you're around. After knowing you, spending time with you, and being apart from you, I feel like I'm wearing sunglasses at night even though it's high noon. You are beautiful, inside and out. I definitely cherish you. Doll, you are so amazing. You have the biggest heart I've ever seen. I don't know why you're so afraid of love when you it always surrounds you. Your perpetual bubble of joy is warm and full of love. You do give off happiness wherever you go. Even when you were chewing out your classmate in the hospital, it wasn't bitter. It may have had a sour undertone, but you spoke in love. Not actual 'I love you, I need you' mushy love. But the love of a friend who hates to see people hurt. I would've just clocked him. I couldn't. Once I was in your room, I felt peace, not hatred. I don't know how you do it, doll, but to be around you is to feel alive again."

"Renae said the same thing. I told her," I replied.

"Told her what?" He asked softly.

"About Thursday night, Friday morning. She said you were clingy and concerned about me because I emit such a radiant light. I told her that wasn't the reason," I said softly.

"She's another you," Pat mused. I picked up on the glimmer of humor in his voice. "Quite observant."
"We are complete opposites," I giggled. "We may have completely different interests and styles, but I love her. She's creative and and fun. She helps keep me centered. She's my best friend. She's got great instincts. She told me she'll do her best to be a beacon for me, but fears her light might be black." Pat laughed softly. "Pat," I whispered as I dried my eyes.
"Yeah, doll?" He replied.

"I love you," I murmured.

"I love you too, my sweet rose," he replied. "Go look outside, doll," he ordered.
"I'm going to have to put the phone down," I replied. 

"That's fine. Go, doll. Take it slow and easy. Then put the phone to your ear again, I'll be here," he commanded. I lowered my foot off the chair and wheeled myself to the window. Renae was by the watering trough and petting the horses. The foal jumped merrily around. I grinned and picked up the phone again. 
"What am I looking for?" I asked.
"Your hope, doll. They're just starting to come out right now. It's not exactly within reach at the moment, but it's within sight," Pat explained. I looked down at my cast. Unknown to her, Renae actually painted Pat's coat of arms. I held the phone with my ear as I stroked my explosion on my cast and grinned. It looked like a starburst, not an explosion. It was perfect. I let out a soft sigh with a small chuckle. "Did you find it, doll?"

"I did. It's closer than you think," I replied with a grin.
"Hold onto that, doll. I'm always with you. Your fortress is strong, which is good because I'll never love another girl - another woman. Seal that hope with my love in your fortress, 'Nettie," Pat commanded.
"Yes, dear," I breathed. I looked outside again and yawned. 

"Atta girl. You need to rest. I'm grateful that you broke your walls down for me. I'm sorry it took so much out of you. I'll see you in the morning. Sleep well, my love," Pat crooned.

"You too, dear," I replied. I left the phone to my ear until I heard it click as he disconnected. I pulled the phone away from my ear and sighed as my phone lit up again, signifying a message had arrived. I opened up. It revealed a picture of Pat smiling and looking down at a rose as he played with it. Pat's phone was by his ear. I scrunched my eyebrows together. Who took the photo? I read the message attached to the photo.

"Fac of pur Dlite u did dis Idk wht u sed but he meltd instantly. He dzn't kno I took the pic. Ive nvr sn him so hpE. Uve got tru pwr Net -JC"
I grinned and saved the number and the picture then hit reply after I deciphered the message, "ugh! First. Horrible speech but thanks for sharing. I have no power, just lots of love for my friends. Good night, Josh."
"Haha. Sorry. That's the most powerful forms of power night Annette," Josh replied.
"Much better, Josh!" I praised but didn't send him a reply as I opened the camera. "One picture dear," I whispered, remembering Pat's request from earlier. I smiled and snapped the picture. I sent him it with the caption "this is what happens when I talk to you. Good night."

He quickly sent me a reply. "Your smile is radiant. Your eyes twinkle. A bright light shines from within. You're absolutely beautiful doll." I grinned and began to type as another picture message came through. I opened it up. Pat had sent me a picture of himself. His eyes were bright, his face soft, his smile wide. "This is what the luckiest guy in the world looks like. I love you. I love that you wanted to be vulnerable. Thank you for letting me into your vault doll."

"Don't let me go. I need you. You've stolen my heart," I sent in reply.

"Never doll. I'll always be here for you. It was only fair. You stole mine. Rest."
"Yes, dear. You too." I studied the picture Josh sent me again. I grinned and closed my phone. I yawned and made my way to the bathroom to do my night routine. As I stood up, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I chuckled as I pulled the pen out of my hair and tucked it into my bag. I left my ponytail in since I forgot my brush. "Today was a good day," I breathed.


© 2017 Lynaelee


Author's Note

Lynaelee
Keep in mind when texting, punctuation and wording is not always on point. This isn't perfect by any means, but I'm working on it. I'm only human so I know I miss things, but I believe I have written this to the best of my ability.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
Added on December 19, 2016
Last Updated on July 19, 2017

If only


Author

Lynaelee
Lynaelee

About
Sometimes I feel like I need an outlet to express myself. I have never been good with verbal communication, but I have always found an out in writing. I hurt. I bleed. I make mistakes. I cry. Yes,.. more..

Writing
If only If only

A Book by Lynaelee


1. *Prologue* 1. *Prologue*

A Chapter by Lynaelee