A Photographer's Guide to San Francisco

A Photographer's Guide to San Francisco

A Story by Molly Sanborn

I recently had the opportunity to travel to San Francisco, California for the sole purpose of photographing the city. I wanted to throw together a quick little synopsis of my San Fran photo expedition as a guide for any fellow photographers looking to capture the city from some different perspectives. Hopefully this will help you out a bit!

 

For Nature Shutterbugs: Shorebird Park & Berkeley Pier

This park in Berkeley, CA acts as a great respite from the crowds and hustle and bustle of nearby San Francisco. It's also a great place for photographers to get some nature shots. Think lush greenery, mighty trees, waterfront views, all topped off with a picturesque pier jutting off towards the horizon. On a sunny day, Shorebird Park is a location that you do not want to pass by.

My Tip: minimize your driving distance by making Shorebird Park your first or last stop while visiting San Francisco. This way, you don't have to drive all the way to Berkeley just to turn around and return to the city later.

 

For Plane Spotters: Bayfront Park Near SFO

If aviation photography is more your scene, I would highly recommend stopping by Bayfront Park in Millbrae, California. You do have to drive south of central San Francisco by several miles, but this is the price you have to be willing to pay in order to get anywhere close to San Francisco International Airport. This miniature park boasts a paved walking path, free (although highly sought after) parking, and great views of nearby SFO. To snap some real up close shots of airplanes you will need quite the zoom lens for your camera, but even if you lack the zoom you can still achieve some great photos of the airport and its surroundings.

My Tip: if you're visiting Bayfront Park specifically to get some great airplane shots, then consider bringing all kinds of gear with you. You'll have 2 hours of free parking, so utilize it by getting set up with chairs, a tripod, and even pack some food to munch on.

 

For Panoramic Junkies: Twin Peaks

If sweeping vistas and amazing views from every angle possible is what you are looking for, then Twin Peaks is exactly where you need to go. From the top of these two hills you can see the Golden Gate Bridge, the Pacific Ocean, and some amazing views of San Francisco's skyline. Twin Peaks will give you a first-rate view for watching the sun set over the ocean, and on a clear day it's the ideal spot for setting up a tripod and going to town with those panoramas!
My Tip: don't forget to bring a jacket, as Twin Peaks is super windy! Even if the weather is pleasant in the city, I guarantee it will drop several degrees by the time you get to the top of these hills.

 

For Cityscape Shooters: Treasure Island

Probably for many of you photographers visiting San Francisco, you're looking for a good vantage point for clear views of the city's skyline. Look no further, for Treasure Island offers exactly this. It's located just off the east coast of the city and is accessed via the Bay Bridge. The island is also located before the toll portion of the bridge when heading east out of the city, so you can drive from San Francisco to Treasure Island and later return to the city without paying any toll fees. Free parking is also available on the island, but it is a bit limited depending on when you go.
My Tip: if you want to get cityscape shots of San Francisco during the day, I would recommend visiting Treasure Island in the morning hours. This is because from Treasure Island the sun will set directly behind the city, making photographing the skyline difficult.

 

For Street Photographers: The Embarcadero

Last but certainly not least is San Francisco's Embarcadero walkway, smack dab in the heart of the city. This is where all the action will be and you'll want to have your camera at the ready for any impromptu street shots. Not only are there plenty of interesting people to photograph along the Embarcadero, but there are some pretty nice sights as well. You can pass by the Ferry Building, see Coit Tower, and get some great architectural photos of the nearby buildings as well.
My Tip: try visiting the Embarcadero after sunset. This will offer you some unique opportunities for night shooting and gives San Francisco a completely different vibe that's worth experiencing firsthand. 

© 2016 Molly Sanborn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on December 25, 2016
Last Updated on December 25, 2016
Tags: photography, guide, how-to, travel, san francisco, california

Author

Molly Sanborn
Molly Sanborn

CA



About
Traveler. Writer. Photographer. I have a deep affinity for words and use writing as a medium for divulging my crazy musings. more..

Writing