The Internet Address

The Internet Address

A Story by Michael Stevens
"

Powerful presidential address updated for 2018

"

The Internet Address



"One year and one day ago, The Donald became President of a shaken nation, which has become chaos, and dedicated to the proposition that some men are equaler than others.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war of words, testing whether that nation, or any nation, bombarded with lies from their supposed-to-be-moral leader, will long endure. We are met on the great social media battlefield of that war. Will we return to sanity, or descend further into chaotic waters? Is there flesh and blood, or a gaping hole, where our hearts used to be?


But, in a larger sense, some cannot defend, or articulate their beliefs, and so attack personally those across ideological divide�"we can not tolerate this. Rational men, blue and red, who struggle here, have got to remain civil, far above the putrid swamp of blame. The world is watching, and will long remember what we say here, and will say they were there the day the great experiment of democracy went tits-up. It is for us the rational, to be dedicated here to the banishment of hatred for the other side which so dominates our social intercourse. It should be for us to ban attacking from behind the safety of our keyboard--that from this moment on, we take increased responsibility for the hateful bile that spews from our fingers, that causes the other side to spew in kind, which only causes still more hatred to be spewed in a hateful frenzy of despise and distrust. That we here highly resolve that these junior high taunts will be no more�"and this nation, under God, shall have a new peace�"and that government of the people, and that means ALL the people, shall not perish from the earth."


© 2018 Michael Stevens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on January 22, 2018
Last Updated on January 22, 2018
Tags: politics

Author

Michael Stevens
Michael Stevens

About
I write for fun; I write comedy pieces and some dramatic stuff. I have no formal writing education, and I have a fear of being told I suck, and maybe I should give up on writing, and get a job makin.. more..

Writing