Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween

A Story by Diane

 It sounded like scraping on my closet door. Anyone else would have thought it was one of their pets. We don't have a pet. My heart was beating so fast I could hear the blood pulsing through my ears.

Just as I reached the closet, a little voice inside
 me told me to run. I that's exactly that. I ran out of my bedroom, down the hall, and through the living room to the door. I didn't slow down as I rip the door open to escape. Escape is one thing that didn't happen. Iran full force into a hard body. As I backed up slowly I felt a searing pain and the top of my abdomen. When I look down there was a serrated knife sticking out of me. Who it came from I cannot remember. The only thing I remember is collapsing.

© 2017 Diane


Author's Note

Diane
Ignore editing issues.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I know you were writing to a prompt for this, and it's interesting to see how you handled it. I like the ending, but it would be interesting to include something to connect the man at the door with the scratching, if you decide to expand it at some point.

Posted 6 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Cyd
Why so short? Were you aiming for a specific word count or something? Is this part of a longer story?

I think this could be a little longer, right now everything happens at once and there’s not time to experience it. If you dragged out the beginning a little, make us the reader go, “Oh no, don’t investigate the sound, get out” and then when she does is when she gets into trouble, I would feel engaged in the story... and almost guilty for telling her to get out (I just assume it's a girl, isn't that funny)


Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

The writing prompts. Just things they use to practice writing in different ways. I'll probably put t.. read more
Cyd

6 Years Ago

Ah I see, I've been there too :p Prompts can be good and fun to play around with
Diane

6 Years Ago

There's a good chance I could always make it longer. There's so much more I could add it to this.
1. I that's exactly that. (Did you mean: That's exactly what I did.)
2. I didn't slow down as I rip the door open to escape. (Did you mean: I didn't slow down as I ripped the door open to escape.)
3. Iran full force into a hard body. (I ran)
4. As I backed up slowly I felt a searing pain and the top of my abdomen. (at the top of my abdomen.)
5. When I look down there was a serrated knife sticking out of me. (When I looked down)

Thank you, Diane!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

I lost a bunch more of my writing tonight. Again I tried to save it, not publish, so I could keep w.. read more
Diane

6 Years Ago

Write one google docs. It backs everything up. I mean everything.
Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

It didn't work for me, only found some old stuffed from the internet that I had saved.
Oh, you won't let me edit, Diane, you know my OCD? It's a good start, though.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

Edit away mama bear. :-)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
4 Reviews
Added on October 28, 2017
Last Updated on October 28, 2017

Author

Diane
Diane

MI



About
My name is Diane Garner and I live in southeast Michigan with with my husband and two young daughters. I grew up in Gaylord, Michigan, with My mom and brother. I moved to the Detroit area in my late t.. more..

Writing
Quinn's Faith Quinn's Faith

A Story by Diane


Thank You Thank You

A Poem by Diane


Invisible Invisible

A Poem by Diane