The Hunter.

The Hunter.

A Story by Diane
"

This story is for my brother.

"

It was the first day of hunting season. He sat among the fallen leaves and the fresh dusting of snow, waiting. He has been waiting for this day all year. There is just something about it, like Christmas morning as a little boy.


The air was cold, he could see his own breath. Everything was still and silent except for the light wind shuffling the trees and the fallen leaves. Any other time he would be cold, but he dressed warm for hunting, and his excitement and adrenaline kept his blood flowing warm.


After a few hours of hunkering down and blending in with the ground, It happens. He heard the snap of a twig. The sound came from in front of him to the right. He looked down his scope and what he saw was magnificent. The big buck sported a rack that was meant for his wall. This will be the biggest buck he caught so far.


The buck was in his sights, he waited for the perfect moment for the perfect kill. He steadied his breathing and calmed his heart rate. He watched as the buck lifted his head and pushed out his large chest. BANG! He watched the big beautiful buck drop right where he stood.

© 2017 Diane


Author's Note

Diane
Ignore grammar if you can. I know there is a couple that can't. Lol no prob.
Also sorry about the picture. I have no idea how to fix it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very country, also a memory for old folk like me. TY

Posted 3 Years Ago


Diane

3 Years Ago

I write this for my brother, who is has a strong love for hunting. Thank you for the review.
Hunting was an integral part of my growing up, and this brought back memories. I loved being out in the woods on those frosty mornings. Luckily for the animals, I seldom shot them. (Needed glasses and didn't know it)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

I wrote this poem for my brother. He lives and breaths for opening day. Hes has since as long as i c.. read more
A great story, written with your brother in mind, I'm sure. You must have heard so many stories from him over the years. A wonderful tribute to him.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Diane

6 Years Ago

Thank you! Yes it was written with my brother in mind. Now I'm going to do one with Dawn his wife an.. read more
Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

Never having been deer hunting myself, I mixed together several of Gary's hunting stories, with his .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 22, 2017
Last Updated on November 22, 2017

Author

Diane
Diane

MI



About
My name is Diane Garner and I live in southeast Michigan with with my husband and two young daughters. I grew up in Gaylord, Michigan, with My mom and brother. I moved to the Detroit area in my late t.. more..

Writing
Quinn's Faith Quinn's Faith

A Story by Diane


Thank You Thank You

A Poem by Diane


Invisible Invisible

A Poem by Diane



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


MY GHOST MY GHOST

A Poem by Mark


Thirsty ? Thirsty ?

A Chapter by Renée


Thank You Thank You

A Poem by Diane