Problems

Problems

A Story by Sydney R
"

Please do not copy this piece of writing.

"

The brisk wind whipped around me, causing my hair to fly all over the place. The streets were bustling and busy, people hurrying to finish their Christmas shopping. Snow was flying in the air making the streets look like a winter wonderland. Which consequently was the reason why I didn't want to be outside today. It wasn't that I hated snow, not at all, it was more that I didn't like being cold. At the moment all I wanted was to be at home curled up reading my favorite book, but of course that didn't happen so now here I am, outside in the cold. My friend had called me up earlier, telling me to meet her at the cafe at the end of the street. She had threatened me, saying that if I didn't go and meet her for coffee then she would force me out later that night.

Personally I hated going on a 'girls night out' I mean what's the point? You just end up with a huge hangover the next day, and the dreadful thoughts of what you did before. A car's honk, brought me out of my thoughts, as I treaded forward through the snow. I saw the bright inviting neon sign hanging over the front door of the cafe. A small smile creeped its way onto my face. This small coffee shop was my home away from home.

As I opened the door a gust of wind came, causing the door chime to tinkle and snow to flurry in. I looked around and spotted Gabby sitting at our usual table. She looked up from her phone, smiled and waved to me. I gave her a half-hearted smile and went to sit down beside. Me and Gabby had a lot of history between us, most of it good, but like all friends we all go through our struggles. Thinking back on it I wouldn't have changed anything.

It had all started when I was in high school, I was a naive young girl who thought that nothing could hold me down, but boy was I wrong. That year my parents had started to fight the screaming, naming calling, the slamming of doors, and sleepless nights, that I had to endure by myself. Everyday before school I would put on my fake smile and pretend that life was great, that there was nothing wrong. Though I knew in the end I was just lying to myself, and everyone else.

During one of my many sleepless nights, I decided that I need to let all of my frustration out. I grabbed my phone and logged onto my Instagram account. I wouldn't consider myself a geek, more of a... well person who was very passionate about books. My Instagram account was dedicated just to my favourite novels, fanfictions, movies you name it and I fangirled about it. I had made a huge rant about what was going on and how I wished that for once it could all just stop. Throughout that year I had lost all hope in ever having a what one person would say 'happy ending'. There was no such thing, it was just a myth no good can ever come out of a human, nothing at all.

Shortly after I had posted the picture, I had gotten a notification that someone had messaged me. Deciding to give the message a quick glance I had seen the message, sent by this girl named Gabby. She had told me that she knew what it was like living the kind of life I was currently living, and how if I needed I could always talk to her. I just scoffed over the message and decided to think nothing of it.

A week later when the screaming and throwing of things became too much, I grabbed my phone and cradled it close to me, debating on messaging Gabby. Never have I ever opened up to anyone about my problems, but I knew if I did I would feel better afterwards, but then again it could also turn against me. Slowly opening up Instagram I went to my messages and slowly typed back a reply to Gabby. With my gut twisting in my stomach I hit the send button and took a deep breath.

Me: Hey, I seen your message from a few days ago... I was wondering if maybe we could talk?

Almost right after I had sent the message I got a reply back. Taking a deep breath I read the message.

Gabby: Of course, a few years ago my parents fought almost all the time. I do know what it's like.

Me: I just need someone to talk to and be there for me. I just don't know what to do.

Gabby: Just start from the beginning.

Ever since that day me and Gabby became closer and closer, until we were practically sisters. We knew everything about each other favourite TV shows, bands, colours. There was nothing that we couldn't tell each other. Although it was hard to talk sometimes due to the distance between us, seeing as she lived in the USA while I was in Canada, we were always there for each other. We weren't just friends we were sisters, and nothing could break us apart.

"Hey it's good to see you again," Gabby smiles, after I received my usual coffee. Seeing as I come here so often the waitress didn't even have to ask me for my coffee order.

I laugh and smile at her, "it's only been a day or two," causing Gabby to laugh along with me.

"Well what can I say? You're basically like my other half..." She trails off. I smile and nod in agreement. "I have some um... news to tell you," she says fiddling with her hands and twisting her Pierce the Veil bracelets. A bad habit she has when something is bothering her or on her mind. I look at her slightly confused, but nod my head in encouragement wanting to know what's bugging her. She takes a deep breath and grabs on to her coffee mug. "I'm moving back to the States." I take a look at her not knowing what to say.

"You're moving back?" I ask not believing the words that just left her mouth. She nods slowly as if I was a scared animal that was about to run. I couldn't believe that she was going to leave me. Gabby was the only one who ever stood by me, the only one who could put up with me.

I felt as my hands started to shake. My past experiences came flashing back at me like a slideshow showing my life. I officially now have no one. Everyone I knew left me, my parents, my past friends, I am officially alone. My eyesight became blurry as my eyes filled with tears. "What do you mean you're moving back? You promised me that you wouldn't leave me. You promised," I tried to yell at her, but it came out as a broken sob. Tears started to slowly slide down my face, I didn't bother wiping them away. Staring at the table I started to pick at my finger nails, a bad habit that I had developed over the years.

"I know that I promised you that I wouldn't, but I just... I need to go back home. We can still visit and you can come down to Florida. It's not that I want to leave, I wish I could stay... but my Visa is almost expired and I need to go home. Plus I miss my family," Gabby rushed out quickly. She stood up and walked over to the side of the table where I was sitting. I wiped my eyes and stood up before she could do anything. "I just... I left home to come and be here with you. What have you ever had to give up for this friendship?" Gabby fumed at me, I could tell that anger was starting to build up inside of her.

I turned and looked at her, my face held a stony expression. "You know what just leave, I don't even care anymore. And to think that maybe you actually could care about someone other than yourself for once." Without another word said between the two of us, I turned and stormed out of the Cafe. "Oh and by the way, Merry Christmas," I yelled, and slammed the door behind me.

I stood in the middle of the sidewalk, trying to catch my breath. My body trembled as I tried to hold in the sobs threatening to escape me. No one payed much attention to me as they went on with their busy lives, I was just another face in the crowd. Another tear escaped, running down my cheek. Hurrying I wiped it away and rushed back to my apartment.

That night I curled up in a ball on my bed, I felt empty and shattered. I didn't know what to do, it was the first major fight between me and Gabby. My thoughts wandered to when Gabby and I first met, and how we had promised that no matter what nothing would come between the two of us. We were both wrong, how could I believe that someone would leave their own home just to come and stay here. I sighed and rolled over on my back, as I stared at the ceiling in my room I felt tears slowly drop onto my face. No matter how much I tried I always messed up, all the time. Trying to calm myself down I bit my lip, trying to calm myself down enough to fall asleep. I shut my eyes tightly willing the darkness to consume me. Soon enough I drifted away into a dreamless sleep.

The next day I woke up with dark bags under my eyes, my eyes were red and puffy, while my lips were bright red from me biting them last night. Taking a look in the mirror any other person would have assumed that I had just gone through a horrible break up. Not wanting to leave the house I called my work telling them that I had the stomach flu and wouldn't be able to come in later that day. I stayed in my pajamas not wanting to do anything that exerted a lot of energy. Deciding to watch some movies, I grabbed a tub of ice cream and pigged out on it.

As I was watching Supernatural I felt as my eyes started to water again. This is Gabby's favourite show, I thought bitterly to myself. We would always watch this show until 3 am, and then fangirl over how hot Sam is. My thoughts started to drive me wild, was this friendship even worth it? I mean Gabby was right, what have I ever done for her? She gave up so much just for me and I never was able to repay her for what she's done for the both of us. Yet here I was crying my eyes out over something that I had no control over. How could she have put up with me? If I was her I would have left long ago with the others. Maybe I was just better off alone. A sob racked it's way through my body, tears started to stream down my face. This is how it feels to lose your other half, I thought.

A knock on the door brought me out of my thoughts. Standing up quickly, I wiped my eyes and slowly made my way towards my door, wondering who would be on the other side. Taking a steadying breath I opened the door, "hello."

"Hey," the other voice said trailing off.

"W-what are you doing here?" I questioned the other person, not comprehending why Gabby was standing in front of me.

"I was worried about you." She muttered while playing with her bracelets.

I looked at her for a second before composing myself, "but why? I mean... I just..."

"Because, I understand why you said and did what you did yesterday. I know you better then you might think." She cut me off, then looked me in the eyes, "I realize how this might seem to you."

A silent cry erupted in my throat, as I leaned forward and hugged Gabby, "I'm so sorry. I never thought about how much you had to give up to be here. I... I'll never be able to repay you."

Gabby smiled and hugged me back, "you already have repaid me back."

"How have I?"

"By coming with me to the states," She smirked as she pulled out a plane ticket from her pocket. "And I won't take no for an answer." I laughed slightly and hugged her. "Although, you do have to pay me back for the ticket..." Gabby smiled innocently at me.

"You really know how to ruin a moment," I joked as I let her into my house.

© 2016 Sydney R


Author's Note

Sydney R
Sorry if there is any grammar problems.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on June 25, 2016
Last Updated on June 25, 2016
Tags: friends, short story, new, Canada, distance, hurt

Author

Sydney R
Sydney R

Canada



About
I'm currently in High School, and love to write so I figured this would be a good way to practice my skills. Reading books is one of my hobbies and I will always read when ever I'm feeling down. I als.. more..