1. Deaths and Descriptions

1. Deaths and Descriptions

A Chapter by Kimberly Miller

"At least it was instant, they felt no pain", Doctor Morgan tried to comfort me as I sat on the edge of my bed, rocking myself slowly, back and forth, back and forth. It was suppose to be a simple trip to town, picking up a few groceries, nothing out of the ordinary. Every month they made this trip, although usually it was with me.

 

  Doctor Morgan offered to have someone stay with me for a while, but I politely denied him. I knew I wouldn't be in the mood for social interaction and I needed to think. Think about this.......................horrible tragedy.


  Only hours earlier had my parents bid me farewell. Mother had gave me a quick hug before Father helped her into the wagon. He gave me a smile and a wink and then struck the leather straps, giving the horses their command. Mother waved until they were out of sight. I hadn't wanted to stay home. I loved going into town. I was rather shy and preferred to watch as my parents socialized while I wondered around the store.  But Mother needed someone to finish hanging the laundry and cook supper. And of course, there was only me to do it.


   I wasn't an only child all my life. No, I had grown up with three older brothers. James was the oldest. Tall, strong and handsome, he was concidered quite a catch. At 21 he was in a seriously relationship with a pretty blonde named Clara. Next came Jed, he was 19, the smart, talented, and serious type. Never goofing off, just studying or working the plow. He wanted so much to become a doctor. Finally there was John-Boy. He was the 16 year old, wild adventurous type. He was always late for chores or playing pranks on Jed. He also managed to stay quite close with most of the unmarried woman of the town.


  But this all wasn't a reality anymore. The Fever had taken it all away. It had no real name, even the best doctors in the area called it the Fever. That's all I ever knew it by. In one swift month, all three of my handsome, loving, carefree brothers had caught it. Mother and I did our best to ease their pain. Soup was always being cooked, bowls of water and cloth were lying around each bed, all kinds of herbs were tried, and moans could be heard constantly. I believe those will haunt me the most......my older brothers moans of pain and agony. Life sucked away from them at much too young an age.


   John-Boy went first, only after a week. Mother wept constantly. Father said stiffly that it was for the best, less time for him to spend in misery.  I simply nodded my head and went back to attending Jed and James. I became part of the house, never leaving or even going into the barnyard. I was forced to quit school. I knew enough, and besides, my brothers lives were at stake.  Next went James. I honestly think I took his death the hardest. He was always my defender and protector, in that brotherly way. Jed hung on for as long as he could too but only three days after James, Jed joined my other brothers.


   After the last funeral, I went to the woods and scaled my favorite tree. I just sat there and cried for what must have been hours. I would have spent the night there too but Father came and got me and took me home. I would often lay in bed weeks after that and close my eyes, pretending to hear my brothers. James would walk in the front door and close it softly, not wanting to disturb Mother. John-Boy would walk in not long after, closing the door with a loud slam and sending Mother leaping into the air. How he would laugh as James threw him a cold stare.  Later, Jed would softly enter, a book in his hands, and straw covering his back as he would read in the loft in his spare time.


 I then would open my eyes and have to face reality. But that was five years ago. I was 18 now, getting ready to start a life of my own, until this happened. Now I felt truly alone in the world. I made my way to the kitchen and began to boil some water. Maybe some coffee would help. It hurt to look around or do much else, what didn't remind me of Mother or Father, would take me back to my days spent trailing my brothers.


The water boiled angrily as I poured it into a mug, then crushed the coffee beans and threw them in. Taking a sip, I cringed from the strong liquid and made my way back to my bedroom. As I walked in and glanced at the mirror that hung on my wall, I was shocked to see what only hours of utter sorrow had done to me. My reddish-brown hair had been shaken from its neat bun and stray hairs poked out here and there, my dress was wrinkled terribly and  my face was still red and puffy from all the tears I'd shed. I lay down on my bed and tried not to think about it, any of it. I was finally able to drift off into a fitful sleep, filled with haunting dreams.



© 2015 Kimberly Miller


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aside from a few minor typos, I think this is well written. Her reactions to the tragedies that have beset her seem authentic. I plan to continue reading it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kimberly Miller

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind but honest comment! It means a lot.
I do not know your age, but this is written very well. Thank you..Kathie

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kimberly Miller

9 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm seventeen by the way!
This was good. I enjoyed reading it, and I'm glad that you didn't fall victim to writing wayyy too much like some people do (myself included : )

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow this was really good i like it a lot.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kimberly Miller

9 Years Ago

Thank you!! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

474 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 16, 2015
Last Updated on February 22, 2015


Author

Kimberly Miller
Kimberly Miller

About
Hey! I'm a teen and live in the U.S. I am homeschooled! And loving it! My hobbies are reading, writing, animals (mainly cats), listen to music and audio stories,some sewing, hanging out on Writer's C.. more..

Writing