5. Dollars and Disasters

5. Dollars and Disasters

A Chapter by Kimberly Miller

As soon as my feet hit the dusty ground, Trigger reached up and began gently tossing down my luggage. I grabbed my handbag and began checking my items until Trigger climbed down from the high perch of the stagecoach and picked up one of my larger chests.


"Where ya be wanting it?" he asked.


"Um......well, since I don't exactly know where my aunt lives and she doesn't know about my coming, perhaps it would be best to stay in a hotel for a few days?" I looked at him questioningly.


"Sounds right smart", he said and headed off.


I had no idea where I was or where he was going so I snatch my handbag and raced after him in the most lady-like fashion I could. He walked across the road and leaped up on the boardwalk, quite a sight considering he was carrying a 10-15 lbs chest in his arms and walked down a block or two before turning into a large building I had somehow missed on our grand entrance in. The sign above read


Harris Hotel


I glanced back down and hurried after Trigger, who was now placing my chest on the wooden floor and before returning to get the rest, motioned for me to talk to the elderly man behind the desk. I smiled politely while I began to walk in his direction. He leaned over the desk and tilted his head down, then looked up at me through his wide spectacles.


"How may I help you ma'am" he said in a pleasant tone.


"One room for...............................two nights please", I said, noting that it would hopefully give me enough time to find my aunt and be ready to move, besides, I could always extend my reservation.

"I'm Mr. Harris", he said, introducing himself, rather oddly-timed as he added up my charges.


"That'll be $1.25" he said, then turned to the board behind him to explain.


"50 cents a night, plus tax".


"Of course", I said, digging into my bag.


Suddenly, my hand flew to my lips as I remember I had left my purse with all my money in one of my chests, which was locked up. I couldn't open it now in such a public area and search for it while tossing undergarments and petticoats aside.


"Um...................well.........................you see I......" I stuttered, seemingly at a loss for words.


All of a sudden, a large, tan hand came from behind me and laid the exact change on the table. I turned in surprise and muffled a gasp. There, directly behind me stood a rather averaged height young man, who looked to be in his mid to early twenties. He was dressed in a slightly dirty red shirt and black pants that matched his black shoes. He smiled kindly and showed a row of pearl-white teeth. His hair was dark brown and combed back on-top of his head in a rather distinguisted-looking manner. He was rather largely built, not fat but muscular, broad and very handsome.


I blushed from embarressment and surprise which only seemed to please him more as his smile grew wider. I whispered a very high-pitched "Thank you", before turning to Mr. Harris, grabbing the recipt and key from his hand and calmly walked away toward my room. I walked slowly enough to hear Mr. Harris whisper to the mystery man,


"Pretty little thing ain't she, Trooper?


"Trooper?" I muttered to myself as I began to ascend a rather long staircase to my room.


"What kind of name is Trooper?", "Trooper, TROOPer, TroopER," I said, trying to grasp this clearly simple name. I came to my room and fumbled with the key before turning the lock. I opened the door and was pleasantly surprised. Inside was a rather large, fluffy-looking bed, two nightstands, a large out-of-the-wall closet, a desk and mirror. I walked in and examined the room more closely, looking out the window that gave me a rather surprisingly good view of the busseling street. I walked back out to grab the rest of my luggage but when I opened the door once more, I found all of my chests sitting there, waiting for me.


I opened the door wider and glanced down the hall to either side. Seeing no one, I shrugged my shoulder and hustled them in. After getting myself situated, I grabbed my handbag and walked out of the hotel, waving politely to Mr.Harris, who waved back and then continued talking to the customer in front of him. I walked outside and took of the deep breath of the warm, refreshing air. I was more than eager to find my aunt and headed off to the only place I could think of where I was sure to get an answer........ the Post Office. Because, as everyone knows, if you want to get in on the gossip, the Post Office is your place.



© 2015 Kimberly Miller


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on January 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 10, 2015


Author

Kimberly Miller
Kimberly Miller

About
Hey! I'm a teen and live in the U.S. I am homeschooled! And loving it! My hobbies are reading, writing, animals (mainly cats), listen to music and audio stories,some sewing, hanging out on Writer's C.. more..

Writing