Memories of Popcorn

Memories of Popcorn

A Story by Kimberly Miller
"

This is a copy of a writing project I had to do earlier this year. Please read and tell me what you think! :) Also keep in mind this is just for fun.

"

 Something stirs your mind, an idea, and you decided to act on it. You walked to the kitchen, placing another discarded plate among the mounds of others in the sink and turn toward the pantry. You walk over and open the door, your eyes quickly scan the contents of the pantry, some boxes of cereal, crackers, a half-empty jar of peanut butter, various bags of chips, some cans of soup, a box of Seasame Street gummies........ and then you spot it. The small box that holds those microscopic yellow kernals, so satruated in butter that you can feel your chloresterol soaring as you ponder them.


 You grab the box and tear it open carelessly, glancing in to count the bags that you know are so few in numbers. Taking a bag out, you place the box back in and close the pantry door. You walk over  and rip open the clear plastic that protects your desired treat. Indifferently throwing the plastic in the trash, you make your way to the microwave. You open the door and lean in to place the bag properly in its place. As you adjust it, you are hit with the smell of recently warmed coffee someone has just heated only minutes before you made your arrival to the kitchen.


 Leaning back and looking satisfied with your work, you close the door and set the timer to 2:30. You hit the button and the mircowave roars to life, instantly lighting up. You watch as the bag of unpopped kernals rotate around and around on the glass center. Growing weary of studying the warming appliance, you wander aimlessly through the kitchen. You glance at the table, napkins and oddly scattered silverware still visible from your most recent meal. Certain crumbs give away your meal that evening, as you pick up a deserted seasame seed from the burger buns and flick it into your mouth.


 Sure the meal was simple and maybe considered by some to be an appitizer but it left plenty of room for your favorite buttery, salted food. You glance back at the microwave, the glowing numbers read 1:24. You inwardly sigh and wander over toward the refrigerator. You swing open the door and reach for the grape juice bottle, now nearly empty due to its popularity at dinner. Setting the juice on the counter, you reach for a glass, your favorite. Its a deep, ocean blue, with large chocolate specks covering it. You smile as you remember the first time you saw it. You pour the dark, purple liquid in your glass and take a long sip. Just as you begin to pull away, the timer goes off. With a jolt of happiness, you hurrily set down the glass, throw the juice in the frig and race over to the microwave.


 The timer has stopped beeping and the light inside has gone off. You open the door and take a deep breath of the buttery, warm air that greets you. Grabbing the bag cautiously at the tips, you pull it out with one hand and close the door with the other. Placing it down on the counter, you give it a moment to cool as you reach for a bowl. Glancing long enough to choose a slightly larger one than necessary, you place it on the counter and pull open the bag. Once more the salted buttery air fills the room. Fully grinning, you tilt the bag and watch as the fluffy, yellow balls of popped corn tumble into your bowl. Dumping almost the entire bag into your bowl, you glance once more into the bag, satisfied with the amount and leave it lay abandoned on the counter. Placing the steaming bowl carefully in your hand, you leave in the direction of the hall but not before stepping on an unpopped kernal.


 You react in surprise and slowly reach down to pick it up. As you twist it between your fingers, you remember all the times you have made this special treat, all the memories these little kernals hold. you smile and look down at the kernal before turning and aiming for your trash can. Your aim is true and with a small "klink", the kernal finds its home. Continuing on your way, you smile as you reach down  and enjoy your first piece of..........popcorn.

© 2015 Kimberly Miller


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this story! Great job on making something like popping a bag of popcorn feel so dramatic! As I was reading this I couldn't help but think about eating popcorn and feel almost as if I was the one in the story! I could almost smell the buttery scent throughout the story! Nice job, keep it up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kimberly Miller

9 Years Ago

Thank you! I really enjoyed writing this story, personally, it is on of my favorites.
Jeremy Hiles

9 Years Ago

My pleasure! I can imagine this would have been fun to write!
I thought that it was very good. There were a couple of typos but that's all. The essay did exactly what it was supposed to do. Sorry that I couldn't tear it to bits but I can't really see any way that it could be improved.
And I liked it as well.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kimberly Miller

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the read and review! Glad you enjoyed it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 22, 2015
Last Updated on March 22, 2015

Author

Kimberly Miller
Kimberly Miller

About
Hey! I'm a teen and live in the U.S. I am homeschooled! And loving it! My hobbies are reading, writing, animals (mainly cats), listen to music and audio stories,some sewing, hanging out on Writer's C.. more..

Writing