A Little Known Page From American History

A Little Known Page From American History

A Story by hyancynthstofeedthysoul
"

This story could be set anywhere in history

"

As I tell this story you will think ''I know this story.'' Do not be too quick in that judgement.the story will be interrupted often. The story itself is not important. It is only a vehicle to make a point. I will not attempt at the onset to set the era in which it would have occurred. neither will I attempt to set the location where it occurred.

 

It starts in a stable. The beginning cast of characters is a young couple and their son. Their names are Joseph, Mirriam, and Joshua.

 

You are probably thinking, another Christmas story. No, it is not I warned you about being to quick in your judgement.

 

Even though they are fleeing from a government that wishes to destroy them. No, they are not jews fleeing from the nazis either, although they could have been.

 

I will add a little to the plot. One of their descendants has had the nerve to say he wants to be president of the United States.

 

The Governer has issued an edict that all the members should leave his territory under penalty of death. It ccurred in our country. the State Militia was told to inforce it. However they have been joined by night riders, in flowing robes and hoods. Who carry torches and nooses. When they find these people they burn their houses, drive off their livestock, and after placing the rope around their necks, hang them on the lynching trees.

 

 

I am sure you now think you know who I am talking about. No, you are wrong these people are not blacks. Even though we know the story could be their's.

 

The following order was issued by Governor Lillburn Boggs of Missouri:

Copy of a Military Order by the Governor of Missouri. HEAD QUARTERS, MILITIA, City of Jefferson, Oct. 27, 1838. Sir:--Since the order of the morning to you, directing you to cause four hundred mounted men to be raised within your division, I have received by Amos Rees, Esq. and Wiley E. Williams Esq., one of my aids, information of the most appalling character, which changes the whole face of things, and places the (DELETED)  in the attitude of an open and avowed defiance of the laws, and of having made open war upon the people of this state. Your orders are, therefore, to hasten your operations and endeavor to reach Richmond, in Ray County, with all possible speed. The (DELETED) must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the state, if necessary, for the public good. Their outrages are beyond all description. If you can increase your force, you are authorized to do so to any extent you may think necessary. I have just issued orders to Maj. Gen. Wallock, of Marion County, to raise 500 men and march them to the northern part of Daviess, and there unite with Gen. Doniphan, of Clay, who has been ordered with 500 men to proceed to the same point, for the purpose of intercepting the retreat of the (DELETED) to the North. They have been directed to communicate with you by express. You can also communicate with them if you find it necessary. Instead, therefore, of proceeding, as at first directed, to reinstate the citizens of Daviess in their homes, you will proceed immediately to Richmond, and there operate against the (DELETED). Brig. Gen. Parks, of Ray, has been ordered to have four hundred men of his brigade in readiness to join you at Richmond. The whole force will be placed under your command. L. W. BOGGS, Gov. And Command-in-chief. To Gen. Clark.

 

I deleted the name of the group for dramatic effect. I will tell it to you later.

 

These people had a dream of a new Jerusalem, a city laid out in a square with the Tabernacle of their G-D rising in the center.

 

I now present to you the candidate. A successful businessman, a former Governor and a steadfast member of his church. He is a regular contributor to the storehouse, so that those less fortunate, will not suffer. There are those who will tell you he is not a christian. Why, because he does not accept all they teach.

 

I quote Martin Luther King, ''I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: ''We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

 

One further quote, ''I am not the Catholic candidate for president, I am the Democratic candidate for president who happens to be a Catholic.” John Kennedy.

 

Both of these can be applied to this candidate. I give you Mitt Romney, a proud member of The Church of The Latter Day Saints, also known as the Mormons.

 

The only religion whose membership has had a bounty placed on their heads.

 

 

 


 

 

© 2008 hyancynthstofeedthysoul


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really do like the way you sneak it up on the reader at the end with an 'a-ha!' to finish it. I suspect this could be expanded a bit with a bit more history, etc. There is nothing sadder than persecution, especially in a place where the state is forbidden from such behavior.

Although, I must say that I am not entirely sure of the LDS in general. It doesn't scare me as much as Scientology, for example, but they have enough money/secrets to make me a little worried. I feel the same way about all massive religious organizations, though. A little paranoia never hurt anyone, but that doesn't make members of said churches any less human or have any less right to liberty. Much of my family is Catholic (and some of my friends) and I know a few Mormons. They're probably not good Mormons though, which is okay because they have no hell to be damned to.

The power of human stupidity is only outweighed by the stupidity of the mob, unless there is a lot of money involved.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

woah. Pretty deep. You're right, it is a part of American History I did not know. As often pointed out by my father and brother, I have great gaps in my education. I blame my ill spent youth. Thank you for this very interesting and heartbreaking tale. For any people to deem another unworthy of existence is evil. Excellent write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I am a proud member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I applaud you for getting this out here where many will be able to read and realize the persecution that existed and still does and not only against those of race, but religion. This is an issue that needs to be more realized, people are all different and we should be more accepting of their differences and embrace them. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I thought Joseph (Smith) was married to Emma Hale, but he certainly had more wives than her. Of course, now our pesky government is picking on Prophet Warren Jeffs for his religious practices! He used to have a nephew named Clayne.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was just hearing about this! Thank you for the background and the interesting way you write to get me to learn stuff that I get so frustrated with.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

See this is what I love about your work...you learn. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i enjoy your pieces that i learn from -- great writing -- great surprise ending --


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I really do like the way you sneak it up on the reader at the end with an 'a-ha!' to finish it. I suspect this could be expanded a bit with a bit more history, etc. There is nothing sadder than persecution, especially in a place where the state is forbidden from such behavior.

Although, I must say that I am not entirely sure of the LDS in general. It doesn't scare me as much as Scientology, for example, but they have enough money/secrets to make me a little worried. I feel the same way about all massive religious organizations, though. A little paranoia never hurt anyone, but that doesn't make members of said churches any less human or have any less right to liberty. Much of my family is Catholic (and some of my friends) and I know a few Mormons. They're probably not good Mormons though, which is okay because they have no hell to be damned to.

The power of human stupidity is only outweighed by the stupidity of the mob, unless there is a lot of money involved.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Interesting! I like how you used the narrator to tell the reader to stop trying to guess the place or date. I really enjoyed this story and I immensely enjoy your writing style. Great job!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2008

Author

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
hyancynthstofeedthysoul

middletown, OH



About
A long and eventful life I have lived one. While stationed in Germany I visited every country in free Europe and the British Isles. In the U.S. 48 of the 50 only missed Alaska and Hawaii. Have worked .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..