What Is A Society

What Is A Society

A Chapter by hyancynthstofeedthysoul
"

The definition can be either broad or narrow. I will discuss both

"
 

First a definition of a society is in order.

 

a highly structured system of human organization for large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and an identity for its members.

 

This can be applied broadly to a nation or more narrowly to a group within the populace. A derives its power from the consent of the governed. All governments came about by the overthrow of some other government. The United States for example came about through a rebellion, against the King of England. A group known as the ''Sons of Liberty'' in an act of treason, threw a shipment of tea into the bay. And thus our Republic was  begun.

 

Some societies prefer to exist within the nation. Not as national goverments, but as criminal enterprises. Just as the nation's citizens comply with the nation's laws. So do the members of these groups. Japanese Yakusa, Chinese tongs and Triad, the Italian Mafia. and the Russian Organizatsiya come to mind.

 

Each of these groups are bound by a code of laws and they have a class structure. The members are kept in line by loyalty and fear. When loyalty fails they have enforcers who guarantee compliance.

 

I make no attempt at moral judgement. I will only relate some of my experiences within one such group. But remember this grand and glorious republic was formed as a criminal conspiricy.

 

The winners make the rules and define what is a crime. That does not mean they are always right only that they have the power.



© 2008 hyancynthstofeedthysoul


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Power is the tool, the instrument.. no matter the 'society... '

In a fairly brief post, you've written concisely and, consequently, passed on a heck of a lot of information.. sooooo the reader isn't overwhelmed but drawn in, wanting to know more

Great post. Thank you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


You always teach me so much with your words. I'm glad to see you still on our site and posting. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on February 5, 2008


Author

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
hyancynthstofeedthysoul

middletown, OH



About
A long and eventful life I have lived one. While stationed in Germany I visited every country in free Europe and the British Isles. In the U.S. 48 of the 50 only missed Alaska and Hawaii. Have worked .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..