N****r Annie

N****r Annie

A Chapter by hyancynthstofeedthysoul
"

A little white boy and a little black woman. A story of an odd friendship.

"

When I first posted this story I got a lot of grief. I could change the title, but why should I. The first time I met this little black woman. She extended her hand and said, ''They call me N****r Annie, how ya called.'' I answered, ''They call me Ken.''    Now the story.

 

Like every morning I am up early and about my business. The sun isn't up yet, but I have to get to the club. I have to pick up the bag and meet the runners so the can start their day. Then I have to get to school. You see I am only thirteen. I work for Screw Andrew who runs the numbers bank in Newport, Ky and I carry the bag.

 

I wonder where Annie is she usually comes along by now. Oh! Here she comes. Pulling her little red wagon. I wait for her as she is my good luck charm.

 

''Morning Annie,'' I say.

 

''Moanin Ken,'' She replies.

 

A little black Lady and a little white boy. Same words every time. Nothing changes everything stays the same.

 

After school I retrace my steps and there she is. She has been busy as usual. Her little red wagon has been transformed into a barbecue with racks of ribs slathered with her secret sauce.

 

"E'nen Ken,'' she says.

 

''Evening Annie,'' I reply.

 

A little black Lady and a little white boy. Same words every time. Nothing changes everything stays the same.

 

After I turn in the bag we share a rack. No conversation needed, we just enjoy.

 

Well it's time to get to work. Her customers are arriving. Before going into the club they chow down on her ribs. The black gentry and their ladies, dressed to the nines, with long towels draped around their necks.

 

"Night Annie," I say.

 

"Night Ken, knock em dead." She replies.

 

A little black Lady and a little white boy.

 

As I approach the door I look back. She has become a queen, surrounded by her court. When I take the mike I will be the Man.

 

Tomorrow when we meet. We will once again be just a little black Lady and a little white boy.

 

''Morning Annie,'' I will say.

 

''Moanin Ken,'' She will reply.

 

Same words every time. Nothing changes everything stays the same.

 

 

 

 

 



© 2008 hyancynthstofeedthysoul


Author's Note

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
I always called her Annie. Everyone else used the name in the title. I assure it was a title of respect.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is, in one word : WONDERFUL!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I was expecting more.. yet everything I read of yours is good.. small or large.

Posted 15 Years Ago


WOW!
I applaud you for the courage to be true to yourself,
which comes across as in a honest voice.
Lovely write!
~Lyrical

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

382 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 25, 2008
Last Updated on November 5, 2008


Author

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
hyancynthstofeedthysoul

middletown, OH



About
A long and eventful life I have lived one. While stationed in Germany I visited every country in free Europe and the British Isles. In the U.S. 48 of the 50 only missed Alaska and Hawaii. Have worked .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..