Fathers Day

Fathers Day

A Story by hyancynthstofeedthysoul
"

Thoughts of an old man

"
  I sit here on this father's day remembering days past. I want to try to tell all of you what father's day means to me. Without all of you there would be no father's day. It would just be another day like all others, but you give it meaning.
   I remember holding newborns in my arms and singing foolish songs while putting you to sleep. Watching you drift off to sleep and dreaming dreams of my own. What would you become? I was not even close, but am now surprised how close I came.
  Jon my first born a good husband with a loving wife. Fighting the good fight against all odds. Even though you have no children you are a father in the sense that you meet all the requirements. A kind and loving disposition and caring nature.
  Jesse the same applies to you also a kind and loving father. You have a great family and this is your day as well, with three lovely children. They have given me much joy.
  Sarah my princess. You remember me and call often. What more could I ask. Oh that's right let us not forget Heather.
  Jamin you are there for your mother. I appreciate that.
  Jen I did not forget you although you sometimes think I did. You are always on my mind. I remember you picking up squid with your chopsticks and making its tentacles wiggle.
  I remember all the times we rode in the car and time spent at museums and parks. Telling jokes and singing songs.
  What I am trying to say even though poorly is thanks. You deserved better, but I did the best I could.  Try to remember the good and forgive the bad. And thanks for all the father's days past and all those to come.

© 2010 hyancynthstofeedthysoul


Author's Note

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
Sitting here remembering father's days gone by

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I especially like your last lines. Fatherhood comes with no training manual, so we do the best we can with what we've got. Good fathers beget good fathers, so I believe, so having a good one to set the example for us is of utmost importance. (Not all of us are so lucky) Like you, I never think I deserve recognotion, but am always appreciative of it when it comes. Happy father's day to you and all those like you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is such a special sentiment to your children & grandchildren. I always think of my Dad on that day but think every day what a great person he became even though his Dad left his family when they were young. I wish he was still alive so I could show him the LOVE I still & always will feel for him. I agree that our childs review can touch our hearts.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I received this e-mail from my son who is not a member of this site.

I will never forget my memories of my Dad. He has always been the biggest, strongest, smartest, toughest man I know. All I ever wanted was for him to be proud of me and I didn't understand why I had to grow up and not be his little boy anymore. Now I understand. The world is tough on little boys and you have to grow up strong to survive. I owe everything I know about how to treat others and care for my own to the man that set the example. My Dad. I love you and thank you for the kindness and love you have shown me.

This is one of the best reviews I have ever received.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice story, Frank, it reminded me of my own three children. The first born of mine, Jennifer, has my new grandson with her, and I shall go and visit them this afternoon.
Thanks for sharing.

Donn

Posted 13 Years Ago


I especially like your last lines. Fatherhood comes with no training manual, so we do the best we can with what we've got. Good fathers beget good fathers, so I believe, so having a good one to set the example for us is of utmost importance. (Not all of us are so lucky) Like you, I never think I deserve recognotion, but am always appreciative of it when it comes. Happy father's day to you and all those like you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

534 Views
4 Reviews
Added on June 20, 2010
Last Updated on June 20, 2010

Author

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
hyancynthstofeedthysoul

middletown, OH



About
A long and eventful life I have lived one. While stationed in Germany I visited every country in free Europe and the British Isles. In the U.S. 48 of the 50 only missed Alaska and Hawaii. Have worked .. more..

Writing