Book Review: You Don't Know Me

Book Review: You Don't Know Me

A Story by Naomi Bloom
"

A book review of "You Don't Know Me" by David Klass.

"

What drew me into this book was the mysterious-looking book cover; a sad young face covered by several lines of writing, and the enigmatic title: “You Don’t Know Me.”  It seemed like it would be a deep and interesting read.  And I was right. 


You Don’t Know Me is a teen fiction novel by David Klass about a teenage boy who lives an extremely depressing and terrible life.  His father beats him, his mother gives the impression that she does not care and is too tired to notice, he considers himself unattractive and untalented, his friends are uncool and he plays the tuba, which is a very challenging and ridiculous-looking instrument.  He struggles through the ups and downs of his life with similes, metaphors and make-believe, desperately clinging to the hope that lies in fantasy.


John has an interesting outlook on life and a borderline eccentric way of looking at things.  He views even the most frightening and violent moments with obvious terror, but also with optimistic humour.  For example, John likes to use symbolism and make pretend names for people and things in his life, like Violent Hayes instead of Violet Hayes or using the symbol of the frog to represent the tuba. 


You Don’t Know Me is a wonderfully written novel with well-developed characters.  This book was extremely depressing and I felt myself getting upset along with the protagonist, but I remember also feeling fortunate that I am lucky enough to live a life where no one beats or abuses me. 


I would not recommend this novel for children or pre-teens as the climax of the novel was quite violent.  I would recommend this book for teenagers and young adults who want to feel thankful for the lives that they live.  You Don’t Know Me was a fascinating and brilliantly written read.


Rating: 4.5/5

© 2012 Naomi Bloom


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1040 Views
Added on December 30, 2012
Last Updated on December 30, 2012
Tags: david klass, you don't know me, book review, criticism, literature, article, writing, author, book, praise, young adult, teen, teenager, high school, abuse, parent, father, john, depression, music

Author

Naomi Bloom
Naomi Bloom

Ontario, Canada



About
An amateur writer of poems, short stories and other types of writing. I recently graduated from university and I am trying to figure out what to do with my life. Victorian England, name meanings, be.. more..

Writing
Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Naomi Bloom