Autumn Irises

Autumn Irises

A Poem by Addict With a Pen
"

Your eyes are the dreamy chocolate truffles, that give me stomach aches...

"

You say you hate your eye color

But I cannot look away

You say it's merely a simple curse

But I see it differently

For the colors cradled in your eyes

Are more than just a phase

They’re more than just a simple brown

They’re more than everyday

They are the leaves left on my doorstep

On a chilly Autumn day

My earthy growing garden

Glistening after pouring rain

Your eyes are the dreamy chocolate truffles

That give me stomach aches

And the coconut caramel coffee beans

That keep me up all day


Don’t tell me you want an ocean blue

That all the boys will chase

Your golden colored irises

Are all I see each day



© 2016 Addict With a Pen


Author's Note

Addict With a Pen
Reviews are appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is amazing. So many girls (and guys) are insecure about one part of their look or another but when people truly love one another, those minor insecurities just melt away. This perfectly captures how someone can love something that another dislikes about him or herself simply because the first person loves the other unconditionally. Your imagery is fantastic and the message is superb!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you!



Reviews

Superbly captured my friend.We complain about what we have, but it takes someone else's perspective to truly see beauty. True beauty is never obvious, that's just painting over the real you. true beauty is the colour of their eyes, the first twitch of their smile and a million other things that can't be marketed. We can only hope for the next time we see it too. Love it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
FIN
Wouldn't change a thing.
Beautiful metaphors...
Soulfully written.

Much love,

LR

Posted 7 Years Ago


Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you :)
damn... this is really, really good....

Posted 7 Years Ago


Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you, and thanks for reading
I love this poem! I've always found it hard to describe brown eyes like this, but you captured the imagery perfectly. Keep writing! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it, thank you
You were really descriptive and it painted a very real and vivid image. Beautiful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Beautifully written! Loved reading it. It is true indeed that though we deem ourselves imperfect but somewhere in someone's eyes we are the one who is perfect.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lovely! This poem shows how although you may have insecurities you are perfect in others' eyes. This poem shows the truth and brings up a very important issue. The imagery was perfect and as always the actual writing is flawless. Very nice!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you!
I really love this becuz it's so originally stated, when describing something everyday recognizable about life & love. I love that you're showing us in many different well-crafted analogies that "plain brown eyes" are not plain at all, when seen thru love especially. I love the way you use lots of sensory description to show us how a simple delightful thing about another person can remind us of other things that are good to eat or smell or drink or hold. Very visceral way of making your point. This is very good writing and also you are making an excellent point about how many people feel "plain" but this is not how they look to others, esp in loving situations.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you!
Wow! This was amazing; I felt like I could feel exactly what you were feeling. Keep up the great work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you :)
I love brown eyes, especially if they're wide and bright . . . they're just so beautiful.

Anyways, like Darian said, I like how this piece shows how people can love other's insecurities. There's really nothing else I can add.

- William Liston

PS: I'm curious about the structure of this piece: There are two stanzas and an envoi that each use an abcbdb... rhyme scheme with the refrain "day" in the last line. Did you design that structure yourself or did you get it from somewhere else? It resembles a ballade in a way.



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

I wrote the second stanza first, just by listening to which words sounded best when I read aloud, an.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

724 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 30, 2016
Last Updated on October 31, 2016
Tags: brown eyes

Author

Addict With a Pen
Addict With a Pen

UT



About
Are you searching for purpose? Then write something, yeah it might be worthless Then paint something, then it might be wordless Pointless curses, nonsense verses You'll see purpose start to surfac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..