1:44 AM.

1:44 AM.

A Story by nattibabe

Thursday, November  21,2013

1:44 AM.


1:44 AM. 

I’v always heard the theory that the people who are up at this time of night are either lonely or in love. Since I am neither apparently I am the contradiction. To be honest i’m actually obsessed with this time of night. Or staying up late in general. Ironically it’s the time of night I feel at my most productive. Believe it or not it’s that feeling of isolation that I am most drawn to. When you know the world has temporarily clocked out and if at that moment looking outside your bedroom window you get the feeling your light is the only thing bright enough to breakup all that blackness for miles. That feeling where among the millions of heartbeats surrounding the city yours is the only one distinguishable among them all. It has the ability to make you feel so small yet so significant at once. Two expressions that never go hand in hand. 

It’s a time of night that when I should be fast asleep and dreaming in my bed you could more often then not find me with a a pad of computer paper and a pen. My pandora softly playing the classical piano station. A cold forgotten coffee mug left on my bookcase as I struggle to put my late night thoughts to paper. (I swear i’m not trying to portray a modern Shakespeare. I just love the piano channel, judge me.)

To me everything feels slower at this time of night. Almost as if time has halted and the world has temporarily stopped spinning causing the stillness outside my window that has a vastness lasting for miles. Like without all that commotion and business and noise keeping the world afloat it shuts down. Taking a breath just as we do until it too is aroused at sun rise, greeting us like an old friend that never left our side. 

Maybe these midnight thoughts are a cliche. Maybe it’s the drowsiness that makes my mind go a million miles a minuet expanding on questions that never seem to have the right answers. Hell it’s probably the classical piano. I guess thats the beauty of 1 am. It can’t be distinguished or expressed by a single statement. This time of night between sunset and sunrise. This time of night that befriends the loneliest or the loved. Or me of course, that lone(ly?) contradiction. 


-n.b.

© 2013 nattibabe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

My late Grandma told me, if I'm up late that there's someone that is thinking of you...another I believe is a Japanese folk story...if you are awake, at night...you've entered someone's dream...I think it's normal to be up, if you an over active mind...then again the fog and the howling wind can keep me up in San Francisco. :)

Lovely write...Love the format. Write on.

Posted 9 Years Ago


wow. you write so well. your thoughts are well organized and put together.
i can also relate, except for the classical piano (you can find me listening to john mayer).
great journal.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nattibabe

10 Years Ago

Haha John Mayer is my second go to choice :) Thank you so much for the review and kind words!
In my neck of the woods, San Francisco is the best place in the world to be up and thinking at 1:44 am. It is when you under stand a cliche is the best truth of life. I work in Berkeley, love SF. If your ever awake and find yourself on North Beach, Yuet Lee is great and inspiration will come. It has for me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nattibabe

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review!
Its sounds like a blog..I wish I could write just like that...Its really flows...Just a little typos on " minuet " instead of minute.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Love the insight here. I agree too. I enjoy waking up early and hearing only the wind and rain......its very soothing knowing that few others are awake.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nattibabe

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the great review!

-n.b.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MAC
love this and so agree. adore the darkness and its silence, brings out the creative mood in me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nattibabe

10 Years Ago

Right? I swear I get more done once the clock goes past midnight haha thanks so much for the review!.. read more
MAC

10 Years Ago

exactly...you are welcome :)
Thats really good; very thoughtful. It sounds beautiful, and it is. I really like the night time too!
Jeanne

Posted 10 Years Ago


nattibabe

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reviewing Jeanne! Wasn't sure how the ending would sound, but am relieved it's co.. read more
"This time of night between sunset and sunrise. This time of night that befriends the loneliest and the ones in lust. Or me of course, that lone(ly?) contradiction. "
It is hard to say. In my lifetime I had knew all three of the above situations. Today i just read and write when kids are in bed. I like the quiet and peaceful time of the night. I like the questions brought to life by the excellent story.
Coyote




Posted 10 Years Ago


nattibabe

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reviewing!
-n.b.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

474 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 21, 2013
Last Updated on November 26, 2013

Author

nattibabe
nattibabe

San Francisco, CA



About
Just a college student feeling feelings since 1992. more..

Writing
Pennylane Pennylane

A Story by nattibabe


Carmen Marie Carmen Marie

A Story by nattibabe



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..