EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

A Story by _Hanabi_

“How is she?” Vivian’s aunt asked the psychologist. “She’s doing much better. She’s really opening up these past few weeks. She’s been moving around more. She responds better. I believe she’s been making great progress,” the psychologist replied. 


“That’s fantastic! Do you think she’s ready?” Vivian’s aunt continued to ask. “Well, I’m not so sure, Even though she has responded more frequently, I don’t really think she may be ready for that,” the psychologist responded, her face turning quiet pale. 


“Well, I don’t believe we have much time. She has got too soon. People are becoming quiet impatient,” Vivian’s aunt said with a rather distressed look on her face. The psychologist sighed, “Well, maybe we can start now, just for a little bit, and see what we get from her”.


Vivian’s aunt dug into her purse and pulled out a large zip lock bag , “Alright. Well before we do, I was given something from the police department a week ago. It belonged to her. Maybe if we showed her, she might-,” the sentence was cut short when the psychologist grabbed the bag out of her hands. 


“You mean you stole it. The police will have never given this to you. This was the number one piece of evidence they had,” the psychologist said, her face becoming one of fright. She snatched the evidence bag back and stuck it back into her purse.


She stepped closer to the psychologist and whispered, “Are you going to help or not?” “Yes, I am. But we have to do this as quickly and quietly as possible,” the psychologist 

replied. 


“Well come on, open it up and let me get in there,” she whispered some more. The psychologist slid her hand into her lab coat pocket and pulled out a key. She then slowly unlocked the door and swung it open. The room was dark. Just as Vivian liked it. 


Vivian sat in the centre of the room, her jet black hair, which reached her waist, was hung down in front her face. Her hands were on her laps, her left index finger tapping softly.

Her aunt slowly walked in to the room, as she did, she felt a shiver go down her spine. 


She slowly walked towards Vivian, stepping ever so lightly as not to frighten her. “Vivian. Vivian I am Catherine. Your mothers’ sister. Your aunt,” her aunt said as she leaned closer towards Vivian, bending down directly in front her. “Do you know why I’m here?” she asked Vivian. There was no answer.


“Vivian I’m here because I have some questions. Questions that I really need answers to. So can you please help me?” Vivian’s aunt asked her. Still there was no answer. Vivian sat just as she did before, tapping her left index finger on her lap. Her aunt sighed. She knelt on the floor in front of Vivian, just by her feet. 


She then slowly pulled the evidence bag out of her purse once again. She placed it on her lap and opened it, revealing a small, brown, vintage looking book. “Vivian, I have something of yours,” her aunt said as she lifted the book off her lap an moved it closer to Vivian’s face. 


As soon as the book was in just the right position for Vivian to see, she stopped tapping on her lap with her index finger, but then began slowly drumming all her fingers at once.

Vivian’s aunt noticed. She placed the book back on her lap, and stared at Vivian for a few seconds. She then carefully unlatched the small lock on the side of the book, and slowly opened it. 


As she did so, she noticed from the corner of her eyes, Vivian’s head started to move; she began raising her head very slowly, but kept on drumming on her leg. When her head was lifted just enough for Vivian’s aunt to see her eyes, she stopped. Vivian’s aunt froze; the book cover only opened half way. She then slowly lifted her head and looked up at Vivian. The sight paralysed her for a few minutes.


She just sat there, her left hand on the cover of the half opened book and her eyes locked on Vivian’s. Vivian’s eyes were very unique. Her right eye was as blue as the sky, and her left eye was as green as grass. Vivian’s aunt was completely mesmerized by her niece’s eyes. 


But the silence and amazement ended when Vivian whispered something. “What are you saying?” her aunt snapped out of it and asked her. Vivian whispered again. “What do you really want Catherine?” Vivian said, her words making her aunt feel uncomfortable.


“Vivian I want you to tell me. I want to know what took place. I want to know what this book is about,” she told Vivian. “Really? And what do you believe you will accomplish by knowing?” Vivian asked her, raising her head up just a little bit more.  “I’m not sure. But I just get a feeling, a urge to know. 


There is just so much they never told me,” her aunt replied. Vivian raised her head up completely, her entire face now visible to her aunt. Her face was pale, as if there wasn’t any blood circulation to her head. This made her eyes stand out completely.


Vivian tilted her head to the left very slowly and gave her aunt a very small, but creepy grin. “Catherine, sometimes knowing to much isn’t as thrilling as you may think,” Vivian said. “Please, I really want to know what happened,” Vivian’s aunt said, a look of desperation on her face. 


Vivian stopped drumming her fingers and leaned down towards her aunt, she then lifted her mouth towards her aunt’s ear, slowly slipping the book out of her hands, she said, “You’ll know, you’ll know as much as you should.” Her aunt slid back a few centimetres away from her niece, her face turning as pale as her nieces'. 


Vivian leaned back on her chair, the small, brown, vintage book now in her hands and her legs one on top the other. She placed the book on her lap and began drumming her fingers on them. She stared directly at her aunt, locking her eyes on hers. 


Vivian’s aunt began to feel very uncomfortable again. Her nieces' gaze was very chilling. Was very cold. Her eyes had nothing in them. No touch of happiness, no touch of anger, no touch of fear. There were no emotions in them what-so-ever.

Vivian stopped drumming her fingers and gave her aunt another small but chilling smile. 


“Catherine, you may be a little to far to hear my dear,” Vivian said to her. She froze once more. Her heart was beating very fast. She felt a bit terrified all of a sudden, but, she sucked up the fear and moved closer towards Vivian.

Though her aunt came closer, there was no sign or emotion in Vivian’s face that would suggest she was pleased. Vivian’s gaze went to the book. 
She began passing her hands over the cover and down the spine of the book, as though she was inspecting it for something. She then opened it, she stared at the first page for a couple seconds, then looked back up at her aunt, giving her another cold grin, she looked back at the book, and she began reading. 

© 2017 _Hanabi_


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It had me hooked! Easy to read and a fascinating subject. I'll look forward to more!

Posted 5 Years Ago


The chapter says Epilogue, thats for the end of a book, did you mean prologue? I'm not sure.
But I like the window into this world. The book is intriguing, maybe describe it briefly to give it a sort of relic appeal? Anyway i think if this was a prologue or first chapter and it had a bit more substance it would be a slam of an opener, bringing a reader into the story quickly with suspense.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Still working on it. I believe it's coming along quiet well :)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
3 Reviews
Added on September 1, 2015
Last Updated on December 23, 2017

Author

_Hanabi_
_Hanabi_

Piarco, Not Available, Trinidad and Tobago



About
I'm a competitive swimmer and athlete. I love to read and write short stories and poems. I'm big fan of Harry Potter, Star Wars, Superman, Batman and basically all Marvel and DC comics and show.. more..

Writing
Times Out Times Out

A Poem by _Hanabi_


News To Me News To Me

A Chapter by _Hanabi_