What Happens Next

What Happens Next

A Story by Nia Hope

"Well," he said looking down at his dismembered arms, "it seems I've been disarmed." He lay in the hospital bed with nothing but bandage covered stumps and the bottom of his shoulders.
   Why do bad things have to happen to good people? I wondered. Our family didn't exactly have the best luck. Joey's parents had both been killed in a collision with a drunk driver and my mom had gone missing and her body was found floating down the river like a leaf a few weeks later. Papa wasn't even my real father. My real father left my mother to take care of me by herself when I was barely three. He showed up to my mother's funeral though I didn't know why he did or that he even cared.
    "At least you don't have to worry about monsters eating your arms off now" my four year old cousin Joey said uncomfortably as he stared at the still blood covered bandages.
    "Well that's true," Papa chuckled. "You're a smart kid" he said messing up Joey's hair. "Hey kiddo, you're quiet, you okay?" he said addressing me.
    "Yeah I'm alright Papa" I lied. I wasn't really okay, actually I was really worried. How were we supposed to get by after his disability and worker's compensation weren't enough? Would I have to get a job so he could stay at home with Joey after he got out of school? How would I even get a job? I was only fourteen. How was I supposed to work and do well in school at the same time? I'd be so tired after work to do homework and too tired after school to go to work. Don't worry about it until he gets better and is at home and settled. He's gonna need me there with him for a while until he gets more used to things I told myself. "I'm gonna go down to the corner store do either of you want anything?" I asked as I removed Joey from my lap and put him on the chair.
    "No thank you. I'm sure that this hospital food will fill me up eventually if as ask for enough of it." he and Joey giggled.
    "Can I get a pop like the big kids get to drink? Like cherry or vanilla coke?" Joey said.
    "How about this, you can have a few sips of mine alright?" I told him. "Are you sure you don't want anything Papa, not even a Hershey's bar?"
    "Well... in that case pick up two." he said winking at Joey.
    "Alright, I'll be back in about twenty minutes. Joey watch Papa for me. Make sure he doesn't do anything bad." I said as I walked out.
    The store was only a five minute walk away but I wanted to talk to my friend who worked there. Roy's place was a small convenient store as well as a gas station, car wash and diner. Most of us just called it the corner store because it was located on the corner of one of the busiest streets in town. The owner was the namesake's son and his nephew also worked there.
    "Hey-a kiddo. What's shakin'?" said the owner's nephew Lee who was two years older than me.
    "Hi Lee, just had to get out of the hospital for a bit and wanted to come talk to you."
    "Yeah I heard what happened to your papa at the factory today. I'm sorry. I was gonna come by and visit after I got off. Is there anything I can help you with today?"
    "I wanted to pick up a couple of Hershey's bars and a Vanilla coke before I headed back."
    "Alright and you know if you ever need anything, Uncle Jimmy and I are happy to help."
    "Thanks Lee. I'm just not sure how we're gonna get along after he doesn't get anymore worker's comp and when disability isn't enough for us to make it through." I said walking up to the counter with my candy and pop.
    "Don't worry 'bout that yet. It hasn't even happened yet. And besides, as many people as your Papa has helped, I bet that every single one of them would want to help him if they could and that's a fact. He's even helped out my papa and my uncle and Granpa Roy too. That'll be two dollars an' forty cents."
    "You really think all them people would actually wanna help us?"I asked as I paid him.
    "Course I think that. I wouldn'a said it if I didn't. Don't get to worryin' about that kinda stuff, alright? " he said as the cash register dinged.
 
    He gave me my change and I thanked him and turned to leave when he said "Tell Papa I said I hope he gets better soon!"
    "I will Lee, thanks and I won't worry until I have to." The bells hanging above the door jingled cheerfully as I opened it to walk out. It was the most cheerful thing I had heard in a long while.
I walked back to the hospital and thought to my self Lee's right. I just have to wait and see how things go. I mean we at least still have a few months and Papa has to get better. That's gotta be our first concern. I just cant help but wonder what happens next....

© 2013 Nia Hope


Author's Note

Nia Hope
Doing it for a contest you guys should check out the contest it's called "What Happens Next" or just use the link thanks for reading
http://www.writerscafe.org/contests/What-Happens-Next%3F/47178/

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an intriguing story that gets me thinking about what happens next. Perhaps Papa brings a robot into his home, one that's controlled from an implant within his brain. This robot does things around his house, and it also go's to work at the plant whereby it's controlled remotely by Papa from his home office. "Necessity is the mother of invention." A wealthy robotics manufacturer pays for the whole thing as an experiment for which Papa is the first candidate. Many adventures follow>>>

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Hmmmmm..... Interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that angle. Thank you for your review! :)
Interesting story. Papas in a pickle

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

He is indeed thanks for reading :)
A pretty interesting read. It almost feels like an excerpt from anovel, or something. Like a preview. It's good quality :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Thank you. should I continue this and make it a novel?

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 25, 2013
Last Updated on June 28, 2013

Author

Nia Hope
Nia Hope

NV



About
Writing is magic and I am a magician in training with some small tricks but many more to learn. more..

Writing
Wolf Cry Wolf Cry

A Poem by Nia Hope