River of Souls

River of Souls

A Story by MandaBear
"

My 500th Poem and for the 10 words Contest on here! A short little story. I used a song lyric from Alan Jackson's "Chattahoochee" song. Hope you enjoy!

"


Every year on Friday the 13th in a small village in England, it’s believed a shallow ravine will swallow your soul. Scattered on the ground are  the freshly spit out bones of the rivers latest victim. It was to the point that if anyone dared to travel this night wouldn’t be coming back.  Signs were placed down Dead man's street “Go no further for your death awaits beneath the waves. If they did not heed the warnings surely they would have a swift death. Everyone in the little village knew when the smell of mint and if tiny spiders appeared the river had claimed another soul. Needless to say people were afraid that down by the river on a Friday night in the pale moon light was not the time to request a walk by the river side. 












© 2016 MandaBear


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well put together with a scary theme. Picture goes well with the poem. I like it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


MandaBear

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I am happy to hear you liked it =)
Very nice of words. You create story and a mystery. I liked the description leading to good ending. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


MandaBear

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much my friend. I am glad you enjoyed my fun scary tale
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I did dear friend and you are welcome.
Reads a bit like a ghost story or the start of a camp fire tale. Enjoyable.

Posted 7 Years Ago


MandaBear

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
Hi. I, too, like the image that you have chosen. Creepy yet beautiful at the same time. I do think that you meant to use the word "heed" instead of 'head' in "if they did not head the warnings". Remind me not to 'walk down 'Dead Man's Street" on Friday the 13th or any other! LoL Thank you for entering the 10 Words I Give contest. Write On!

Posted 7 Years Ago


MandaBear

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the lovely review. I will go and fix that now!
The picture is mysterious and the story looks perfect with selection of words(the ones you took from the contest) happy to be back on your page after exams... Sweetly done bud...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


MandaBear

7 Years Ago

Thank you I am glad you liked it. It didn't take me long to write it

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

334 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 2, 2016
Last Updated on June 3, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sailing Away Sailing Away

A Chapter by Ana Papaya