Inspiration of a Ladybug

Inspiration of a Ladybug

A Story by Nicole Kristen Marino
"

This was actualy an adapted version of a childhood memory I have.

"

Our two tiny hands gripped the fence, as we built up all our might to catapult over. We landed painfully on our backs, into a giant field of clovers.  I, being the more adventurous one, starting running through the green field and twirled until I fell back, while Casey stayed by the fence. The spring air was brisk and fresh, and I had the whole world in the palm of my hand. Young and cute we were, with cheeks so red and large that adult’s just couldn’t resist, and smiles as sweet as cake. Our parents dressed us for the weather, and we felt free not being burdened by the heavy winter coats. Every living thing couldn’t help but feel a sense of gratitude as mother Earth gave us flowers and green plants.

I stood up to see Casey running towards me; she did a tiny lopsided summersault and landed at my side. Without a care in the world dragging us down, we rolled around the clovers until I almost squished a small red bug. Candy picked it up gently and grinned from ear to ear.

 

“It’s a lady bug Jenny! It’s a ladybug, with four spots, that’s lucky…...maybe…...I think” she said with a puzzled look.

I snatched it away from my unintelligent little sister.

 

“Lady Bugs can’t be lucky” I said ‘They are the size of my pinky nail” as I held it up for her to see.

 

We started bickering back and forth over this tiny little creature in my palm.

“They have to be lucky” she claimed stubbornly “Or else they wouldn’t be able to make they’re grand journey!”

 

I stared at her with disbelief. The only journey this bug could have ever made was to get onto a picnic table. My doubt stayed strong as I inspected the tiny critter. Trying to get me to believe in the lady bug was like trying to convince me that cows could tango. I wasn’t having any of her foolishness. But my curiosity got the best of me, and I inquired about this big adventure. Casey and I closed our eyes and held hands as she began the tale:

 

Once upon a time, God took the very first lady bugs in his hand and said “Lady Bugs, I know your small but I believe in you, so I’m giving you a job”. He told them that a harsh winter storm was coming, and the woman lady bug was carrying eggs. But if they laid their eggs now, they would surely not survive the cold. So he asked the minuscule parents to fly across the earth to someplace warm. This would prove their devotion to their babies. God spoke of a paradise across the equator where the season is backwards, and the warm weather was still there to stay. So the lady bugs packed food on their backs and took off on the long adventure ahead of them. The thought of sweet babies who had their daddies eyes were the inspiration that kept them going. They encountered many obstacles that almost prevented their arrival, a few terrible wind storms and a run in with a very angry dog, but soon enough they felt the warmth on their wings. They made a small little home on the other side, and had 30 little babies. Soon enough they all traveled back when the winter came. And from that moment forth, every lady bug must travel the world when the fall season ends.

 

Once the story was over, I opened my eyes and my heart swelled with pride for our itsy bitsy lady bug friend. It looked so heroic; sitting on my finger like it was on top of the world.

“Casey! This lady bug needs to rest, it’s amazing” I yelled excitedly.

 

We spent all day fake pampering the little insect until out mother called us in for dinner. We kissed it goodbye and ran back

home just before the sun set. 

© 2012 Nicole Kristen Marino


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Nicole,
This is really an amazing story.
I loved your awesome style.
Thanks for sharing.
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed this passage. It's heart-warming simplicity really captured the essence of the curiousness of the youth.The story about the history of the Lady Bug was especially well written and flowed so nicely. I can't wait for a Lady Bug to land on me :D I'm looking forward to reading more! Keep 'em comin :)

LB

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nicole Kristen Marino

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much, haha. This was actually the biggest question I had growing up, where the hell d.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on November 21, 2012
Last Updated on November 21, 2012
Tags: ladybugs, children

Author

Nicole Kristen Marino
Nicole Kristen Marino

Phoenix, AZ



About
I am a girl who loves video games, swearing, and beef jerky more than any classy women should. i enjoy writing short stories. I want to get feedback. And I hope that someone, somewhere, will really lo.. more..

Writing