The Abandoned Man

The Abandoned Man

A Story by Nicole Kristen Marino
"

The sequel to House of Sins

"

The Abandoned Man

I placed the cup within her shaking hands, the trembling of her fingers sent ripples through the coffee. Her hair showed she lacked a shower, she looked more fatigued then I had ever seen her, her eyes sunk into her head from exhaustion. I had forgotten the exact look of her face; she had changed much in the last 6 months. I woke up this morning with the thought of going to work and coming home, no more and no less. But with the proposal of a visit with my ex-wife, I felt entitled to call in sick. She appeared to be needier of my services then my dead end job. Marias eyes were glazed over and she scrutinized my apartment with her glances. Bland could very well be the only word to describe the site, but nobody ever saw it but me. There wasn’t a need for decorations.

After a few moments of silence, Maria stood up. I assumed I was escorting her out. I placed my hand on her back to lead her towards the exit, and she ceased mid step. Turning around, she stared me down; my stomach gave a nervous protest. I wasn’t sure how to react; I hadn’t really had emotions since the day I left that house. My personality had been unused these past few months, frozen from lack of personal interactions.

“I don’t want to leave this place empty handed” with this statement, she grabbed my shoulder and pressed herself upon me. She fell to her knees, I stumbled to help her up, but I saw she was begging. She was on her knees, pleading me. The strange effect this had on me, took hold of my emotions, I couldn’t differentiate between right and wrong. So many lonely nights and terrifying cries spent on the loss of my cheating wife, but here she was.

 

“Your daughter speaks of you every day, she wants you home, the flowers in the backyard look so pretty, we even adopted a puppy from the shelter” Maria rambled on, unaware of the fact I wasn’t listening.

My head was drowning in concerns, but one I had to call to attention.

“What about him” I heard myself whisper.

“He left” she croaked, pulling her greasy hair back.

All morals flew from my sight, all the self-respect diminished, I grabbed her hand. And shed the skin of an abandoned man.

© 2012 Nicole Kristen Marino


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful narrative.
I had to wait excitedly to find the word,'abandoned man' and finally I got it at the extreme end of the amazing piece.
Congratulations,Nicole!!!
Added to my favorites and reading list.
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nicole Kristen Marino

11 Years Ago

wow, thank you so much! I hope you read the pre-quel to this, haha, it may have not made any sense.
zainul

11 Years Ago

Thank you too.
This is really awesome.
I will read the pre-quel to this too.
Cheer.. read more
Nicole Kristen Marino

11 Years Ago

Cheers to you too! Good luck with your writing :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on November 21, 2012
Last Updated on November 21, 2012

Author

Nicole Kristen Marino
Nicole Kristen Marino

Phoenix, AZ



About
I am a girl who loves video games, swearing, and beef jerky more than any classy women should. i enjoy writing short stories. I want to get feedback. And I hope that someone, somewhere, will really lo.. more..

Writing