The Winter experiement

The Winter experiement

A Story by Nikki Congdon

The wind howled as I raced through across the icy path. He was supposed to be here! I kept screaming in my head. The moon was high above the trees.  The weak moonlight covered the branches of the bare trees and gave them freaky shadows.  
I finally stopped to catch my breath. I couldn't take this. He was supposed to deliver the one thing that could keep her alive. I was sweating inside my heavy winter jacket and my ankle sock was sliding off my foot in my boot.  I didn't want to pull the boot off, for I feared I would get frost bite. I sucked in buckets of air and then let it escape through my nose, making clouds of visible air. 
After I had caught my breath, I began to jog again. Do it for Katie! I screamed in my head. I ran harder, being careful not to slip. I arrived at a clearing in the woods.  This was where we were supposed to meet. It was covered in snow now, but the snow was packed down by our footprints from previous times we had come here. When the snow didn't cover the ground, flowers would grow here.  Katie and I loved to come and pick flowers to make the house prettier. 
Something rustled behind me. I turned around and drew a sigh of relief. He had come. Towering over me, the man I had waited for stood in winter attire, holding a brown paper bag. He wore a white cap to cover his head and a scarf around his mouth and neck.  His jeans were tucked into his boots and his jacket was not zipped up all the way. 
"I have it." He announced, his voice giving away his southern heritage. 
"Thank God," I replied as I tramped over to him. "Hand it over."
"Do you have my payment?" He asked, his eyes tinkling darkly in the moonlight.
"Yes, of course I do." I dug deep into my pocket to find the bundle of money. My hard earned money. I fingered it for a moment, feeling the rubber band through my glove.  
"Let's go." The man said impatiently. I pulled it out. 
"50 dollars. There you go. Now will you please give it to me!" I pleaded. Katie could die any moment now. I didn't have time to talk with this man.
He pocketed the money and then pulled a syringe out of the paper bag. "What are you doing?" I demanded.
"I need to show you how to work it." He replied as he pulled his glove off. He walked toward me, his breath hitting my cold cheeks. "You-"
"Push the plunger down as I poke the skin with the needle. Yes, I know how to use these things." I answered. The man sighed.
"It's a shame that your sister is actually not getting the medicine." I stared at him with confusion. "Because this isn't even the medicine." My eyes widened with fear as he stabbed the needle through my jeans and into my leg and pushed the plunger.  The liquid shot into my leg. I shrieked. 
"What the hell!" I screamed at him, but my vision began to blur and I started to stumble. "Wha-" I blubbered before falling into the icy snow. The last thing i saw was the man standing over me with a devilish grin on his face.

© 2013 Nikki Congdon


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

⊰ℛℛ⊱
Oww ... And I mean that literally as well as figuratively. You just can't trust strangers in the dark promising medicine. Next time, try your local Walgreen's ! :D

You have a unique writing style that really paints pictures in the mind. That's good as this is getting to be a hard-to-find attribute in many writers who unfortunately get caught up in the decision-making process that leads to more thoughts than actual things in the story.

Nicely written !


Posted 10 Years Ago


I like your writing style ~ very good imagery and detail! I was able to feel the scene, from the cold air to her breathless, frantic impatience. This is the first of your work that I've read so far - is this a short story that stands alone, or part of a work in progress? I'm looking forward to reading more of your work, which I definitely plan to do in the days to come! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nikki Congdon

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I actually wrote this for a contest on here and after i posted it, I liked the idea and n.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2013
Last Updated on August 15, 2013

Author

Nikki Congdon
Nikki Congdon

Plover, WI



About
Hey! I'm Nikki! I'm 15 years old and I have dreams of getting at least one of my writings published! I love to read, write and I preform in plays and musicals at my school! I play flute and learning C.. more..

Writing
Flower Flower

A Book by Nikki Congdon


Preface Preface

A Chapter by Nikki Congdon