One Day At a Time

One Day At a Time

A Story by Nellie Johnson
"

My Father is battling cancer, this is something I wrote to release some of my feelings towards the current battle.

"

One day at a time…Cancer straps him to the hospital beds, claws its way onto my chest and sits there tearing me apart. I didn't prepare myself for the weakest point of my life, but no one ever could. I didn't know that everything good that's ever happened in my life would be emptied out by this.


For my whole life, my Dad has been the strongest man I know, and my Mom- The strongest woman I know. I watch them pack up their belongings in the house I grew up in; I watch the bills pile up on top of the buildings of stress in their eyes. I lay in the uncertainty every night before I fall asleep; I try to dream of a miracle for tomorrow. I wake up gasping for air sometimes because even my dreams won’t let me escape reality anymore.


I try to be strong, and hold myself together. I try so damn hard every second of every day, I try to help when I can, for he is…and always will be my superman. They tell me to take it one day at a time as they are doing, and I try...I try so hard… I still pray to take every ounce of sickness away, I remember that I started when I was about 10 years old and started to understand what his Cancer was. Over the years, I haven’t stopped. I regret not being further in my life-For all I’ve ever wanted is to make them proud. Every couple days the pain that builds up in my heart comes out in quickened tight breaths, dizzy spells, and sobbing. I still manage to put a smile on every single day, and do my best to help everyone I come in contact with, to have a good day.


One day at a time, I battle with myself to keep my head above my own health bills, and other bills. One day at a time, I push as hard as I can to be positive, stay strong, have patience with self-centered negative idiots, and make my family proud. I love you, Dad & Mom. You adopted me from birth, and have given me the best life, helped me become everything I am today, taught me right from wrong, and the amount of inspiration, love, and pure strength I have gotten from you both has made me the luckiest woman alive. I’m here for you both, till the end of time. You’re my world, and I am so proud that you are my parents. I am so unconditionally grateful for everything you both have done for me. I love you, to the moon and back.

© 2013 Nellie Johnson


Author's Note

Nellie Johnson
Ignore grammer problems, ect. I hope you enjoy. <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You called this a poem? I think it's more appropriately a story, but that might just be me. I've had family members with cancer, and die of cancer too, so I kind of know what that's like. I like how the bold adds emphasis to just those lines. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nellie Johnson

10 Years Ago

I wasn't quite sure what to call it. Thank you very much.
The Butterfly Writer

10 Years Ago

No problem :)



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
B.J
Incredible words written from the heart. Devotions strongly felt great work

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You called this a poem? I think it's more appropriately a story, but that might just be me. I've had family members with cancer, and die of cancer too, so I kind of know what that's like. I like how the bold adds emphasis to just those lines. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nellie Johnson

10 Years Ago

I wasn't quite sure what to call it. Thank you very much.
The Butterfly Writer

10 Years Ago

No problem :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 26, 2013
Last Updated on September 26, 2013
Tags: cancer, health, father daughter, dad, self, experience, death, sadness, depression, scared, life, parents

Author

Nellie Johnson
Nellie Johnson

Starbuck, MN



About
"We all have dreams in our heads, words in our mouths, stories in our skin, and ghosts in our hearts.We are little haunted houses, dreaming." Ello, I'm Janelle-but most people call me Nellie .. more..

Writing