Jazz on My Headphones

Jazz on My Headphones

A Poem by James Takeo Panton

Eight hours or more of jazz, jazz, jazz

Loaded onto the tiny black and silver box
My whole day awaiting me as I venture out
With the soundtrack in my ears
I look up from my handlebars as I ride
And suddenly realize
That everything is poetry
 
The violet chorus of a million birds, singing
The long grey skyline looming before me
The shiny glass and metal of the passing cars
The cracks in the pavement as I pass along
The long, thin-hipped girls walking by in summer clothes
With their large sunglasses and flowing hair
The winking street signals that beckon from the distance
The tree-lined streets and quiet neighbourhoods
The ancient houses that stand guard as I pass
The ink on my fingers and hands as I print
The ink on my gloves as I pull skin taut
The laughter of my friends in casual conversation
The sweat on the can of cola as it drips down its sides
The smoke as it rises from the glowing end of my cigarette
The gentle breeze as it passes through leaves and branches
The smell of Great Lake Ontario as it wafts through the town
Even my cats that now gently purr and prance at my feet
They have all become poetry to my ears and eyes
 
And the music keeps swirling around it all
In my ears
In my headphones
In my soul

 

© 2008 James Takeo Panton


Author's Note

James Takeo Panton
Thanks to everyone for your kind reviews! I am also honoured to have this poem listed as Featured Work of the Week at the Vicious Circle!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is incredible! WOW! James, you've truly outdone yourself. Jazz on My Headphones is the absolute epitome of summertime bliss, and the read was a great way to begin the warm season. Really great work, and certainly my favorite from you yet. Which is saying a lot, considering how much I enjoy your other work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A celebration of life, and how great it is to be alive. You manage to involve the reader in this sudden awakening, reminding us that we only have to open our eyes and really look, instead of allowing everything to pass us by, unobserved. I'm no fan of free-form as you know, but I give you kudo's for this, because it reminds me of what it was like to be young - and it was good to be young! Yes, everything is poetry, if we but had the wit to see! I think it's your best yet!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful piece of writing, I flowed through it wanting more. thank you for the read~

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Congratulations! Jazz on My Headphones has been chosen as the Featured Work of the Week at the Vicious Circle!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

When I was reading the poem, I felt that I can totally relate to it.l I also like to start off my days by listening to music on the way to school. It transfers me to a magical world where everything can be praised by poets. Your observation skills are good. There are so many details in this poem, from the neighborhood to a can of coke. I was in the same place as you when reading it. Nice work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

BADASS.

Bad. F*****g. A*s.


You mean to tell me that you, sir, were riding a bicycle and listening to jazz?? (possibly Even Funnier: a motorcycle + jazz... dunno... some jazz is killer, but that just doesn't compute. and a tattoo artist also, no less... haha. giving you a hard time, but it's freaking awesome, it is.)

I have to wonder about line starting with 'with' in the second stanza. It's the only one that doesn't begin with 'the,' and the girls are the only items that receive extra attention. Well... Girls usually deserve extra attention, but as for the surrounding form, it doesn't fit the way it begs to.

That said: if you didn't have that in there, I'd be wondering why you used 'the' so many times. (still wondering, though...)


Haha... I'm fickle, yes I am.
Oh well.

Some of the descriptions in stanza2 are amazing.




Whee~

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is incredible! WOW! James, you've truly outdone yourself. Jazz on My Headphones is the absolute epitome of summertime bliss, and the read was a great way to begin the warm season. Really great work, and certainly my favorite from you yet. Which is saying a lot, considering how much I enjoy your other work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is just plain wonderful, wonderful piece of poetry, throughly enjoyed.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
emz
It's almost as if you woke up one morning and saw the world with brand new eyes... i loved this poem... full of life and joy and observation.. xx

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this write filled with your thought and the sounds of life. This is when I believe we become poets ...when we realize that it is all poetry. Well done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is the best poem I've seen from you yet, James! Everything is definitely poetry- everything has a resonance to it that affects you and is worthy of writing about because it's your perception that you're expressing. And I was right there in your head as I was reading this- you're a conduit to the page for the world. More stuff like this please!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 2, 2008
Last Updated on June 9, 2008

Author

James Takeo Panton
James Takeo Panton

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Canada



About
I am a 38-year old amateur and have only recently started writing some stuff. I began putting down these words around November, 2007, and discovered that I enjoyed doing this, and now I am seeing w.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..