Part 5: FINE

Part 5: FINE

A Chapter by J. R.

You decide to check the computer at the reception desk.  It's a sleek silver and black model with a matching keyboard. You go through the computer's files, not finding anything really noteworthy.
You dig  around in your pockets and pull the flash drive out. It's about time you found out what's on it.
You plug it into the computer and few files pop up in a window. Apparently it's a series of text logs from a guy named Aaron.
"July 5, 2500" 
Had lunch with the guys today. Jason mentioned that the Medical department's going to start testing plant samples the exploration team gathered for use in medicine.  Jason said they were on to something really big. I'm pretty excited about it myself.
"July 6, 2500"
Somebody's been screwing around with some of the computers. The damage wasn't anything serious so it's probably just some bored hacker. Still, It kind of worries me, what if a hacker that really means harm comes along?
"July 13, 2500"
" Some of the doctors were giving out these performance enhancement drugs and paying people to take them and see what happened. I tried one of the pills out because I thought 'Hey, what's the worst that could happen?' and besides, they paid quite a lot. Gonna do some shopping now."
"July 15, 2500"
Been feeling dizzy lately, must've been something I ate. If it doesn't clear up in a couple of days, I'm going to the clinic.
"July 17, 2500"
Dizziness is getting worse and there's a strange grayish-purple bruise under my arm. I went to the clinic and they gave me some antibiotics and told me to come back if it didn't clear up.
"July 24, 2500"
Nearly passed out yesterday so I checked myself in. Doctors said I might be here a couple weeks. I don't mind the beds are comfortable and the food's alright. They're running some tests tomorrow to see what's wrong with me.
"August 01, 2500"
passd out yestrday in my flat. Head hurts, there are more  grayish bruises on my skin. should go to clinic but i dont really want to for some reason. so sleepy
"August 03, 2500"
feel good today, jason tried to get me to go back to the clinic but he doesn't understand. nobody does.
"August 15, 2500"
Those b*****d doctors shut me up in this room, but they don't know that I managed to sneak my pda in. I shouldn't be here, I'm not sick I feel great.
"F24324R"
THEY THINK I'M SICK BUT I'M NOT. I'M FINE. I FEEL BETTER THAN EVER. EVERYTHING'S FINE NOBODY WORRY.
"FINE"
EVERYTHINGS FINE EVERYTHINGS FINE EVERYTHINGS FINE EVERYTINGS FINE EVERYTHINGS EVERYTHINGS FINE EVERYTHINGS FINE
"W8a"
"i  GOt tOgGET outOFhere MyB RoTHerS AWaiT
The logs end there.
You pull the USB drive out of the slot and pocket it. Apparently the doctors were peddling some kind of drug that drove everyone crazy. You're not sure about the gray bruises, though. You look over to the west side of the lobby. There's nothing there but a glass coffee table and some couches.
You go out of the lobby. You are standing in a massive chamber with a high domed ceiling and sleek silver walls with blue trim. There is a sign hanging from the ceiling reading " COMMERCIAL PAVILION" There is a set of escalators leading up to an upper floor on the far end of the pavilion
There are two stores on either side of the wall closest to you.
One is a sleek black and yellow colored shop with a crooked neon sign reading:
"DeMarco's Electronics"
On the other side is a hardware store painted brown and gray reading
" HANDYMAN HARDWARE"
You step inside the hardware store to find it ransacked. Most of the cutting tools have been stolen and some of the electrical tools lie broken on the floor.  Sticking out of the cashier desk is an axe.
You grab hold of the axe's handle and pull with all your might.
After some straining, the axe pulls free from the desk. It's blade is shiny and clean.
You feel a little safer now. Jay phones in.
"What's the update?"
"I got an axe." You say with a little confidence."
"Good. Now keep your eyes open. You never know when those gray freaks are going to jump out."
What do you do?


© 2011 J. R.


Author's Note

J. R.
I would appreciate it very much if you could let others know about this story. So we can let more people in on the game.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Done and Done!
By the way, forget the electronics store. It's obviously a trap, detective watts! Instead, why don't you head up the escalators and look for the exit? That's the whole point of this right? Escape! In Deep Space! also, if you spot any of those "gray freaks" you have my permission to attack their weak point for massive damage.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Check the electronics store?

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 16, 2011
Last Updated on April 18, 2011
Tags: escape, sci-fi, interactive, writerscafe, experimental, game, readers


Author

J. R.
J. R.

About
I am an aspiring writer who is interested in improving as a writer and getting my work out to the world. . more..

Writing