Spooky Night

Spooky Night

A Story by nyi

This happened when I was in 9th standard. There was this tragic accident near my house where a ten years old beggar girl was hit and rolled over under the car, leaving her brain half crushed and her left hand mutilated. It was an instant death. The scene was a complete desolation, blood all around her clothes; an arm was couples of inches away from the body, tiny red pieces of her brain were scattered over near her remaining half head. I thought I was going to vomit looking at the scene. As for the driver, surprisingly the fellow escaped and I had never heard he got arrested.

A week later, as usual, being Friday, I was watching movies alone at night. I had been informed by my friend Arkar that he heard bizarre noises last night and he thought that it was connected to the hit and ran accident. I was curious what I would hear. So, I stayed up late. The night was quiet . Nothing unusual happened until it was close to midnight. Howls of dogs started at around 11 and it distracted me. There had been occasional howling during this week and it bothered me to some extent. I tried to stay focused on TV. And more and more howls as if there were some kind of gathering of dogs and I thought this as ominous sign. My folks were sleeping upstairs which left me alone down here. Depending upon the noises I predicted that there were more than five dogs since they were not making the noises in union.

After some time my movie had finished and I regained the full awareness of my surrounding. The first thing I realized was that howling of dogs had stopped. The night was so quiet and serene. I looked at my watch and saw that midnight hour was close at hand. And then the light went out. For some strange reason of wanting to know how many people were not sleeping that I walked toward the balcony. The lonely moon was clouded over and there were no neon lights now since electricity went out at the instant I reached the balcony. It looked to me like I was in different place hugely different as things were dark and suspicious.

Darkness had fallen across the land. Then suddenly there was this single and loud howl. At first I thought it came from dog. Then the second howl came and I couldn’t judge whether it came from dog or not. The howl was extremely and bizarrely loud for pitiful creatures like dogs to be making it and this howl certainly wasn’t at high pitch as dogs but it was distinctly and outrageously very loud.  Another strange thing was that there was only this howl and no other dog was repeating this. I tried to search the dogs on the street and didn’t find any. The same loud howl-like sound was repeated again and again.

I listened to it carefully. The low pitch made it liked it could come from dog but the noise was harsh, not smooth and certainly without any harmony which in turned made it liked it came from human but it was too loud to be come from human’s mouth. I kept focused, closed my eyes and tried to distinguish whether it was my own imagination, then it was chilling to know that the howl was as real as my flesh. I was gripped with fear at that moment. I turned back desperately into the utter darkness of my own house. I was afraid to go inside my own house. The howls were getting on my nerves. I tried to close my ears with my both hands but the loud noise penetrated through my hand and into the ear-drum.

With the sound of howl hearing inside my head I tried to walk inside the house. Then I felt a strange presence of creature that was lurking in the dark, watching my every movement, waiting for its chance. A change for it to strike.I tried to look inside the darkness and found a silhouette of a small head but it wasn’t at some height but it was on the ground! Then the vivid flashes of the child’s head I saw a week ago came back into my mind. Out of desperation, I called out ‘who’s there?’ but no answer came.

With the non-stop howling inside my head, I felt like there was some ferocious creature that was never insatiable of sucking blood, was waiting for me there. I thought again this might be paranoid delusion of my own, so I closed my eyes. When I opened my eyes, I saw that there was movement, but almost too slow to regard this as a movement and this movement came from the head like figure. It was turning at extremely slow motion and my heart was pounding.

Was it of a girl? Did she come for her revenge? Was she so fed up by her pathetic life and her so sudden death that she didn’t care who she retaliated? I suddenly realized I was in dire peril. Then I could see there were two eyes like gimlets staring at me. It almost stopped my heart. There seem to be bright rays coming out of the two eyes which were still on the floor. It was venomous look. Was she thirsty for my blood? Her death had been so terrible that she became living dead, now came back from her tomb for revenge?

The howl of hell was still inside my head although I didn’t know honestly whether it was the howl from inside from head or howl from outside that penetrated through my closed ears. Then the silhouette of a head with two open eyes which were on the floor started to slink. Now it struck me that it was definitely stalking me. It crawled at slow motion without blinking and it’s two bright eyes staring at me. I became so petrified by this movement of wraith that my limps started to tremble. It slowly approached directly towards me and I thought that this might be my nemesis of something I did wrong in my previous life and that finally it came to me to seal my doom. The creature became to crawl as I could see the movement of head. This made me to step backwards. As the creature made one step towards me with its penetrating eyes, I took one step backwards. I stepped back until my back touched with the balcony which left me nowhere else to go. Suddenly I was trapped at the balcony with this blood thirsty wraith of a little girl.

As if it started to realize that I was trapped, the creature started to run toward me. Now I got nowhere else to go and realized I had to face this demon alone. I stood up straight and gripped my last remaining iota of courage and decided to face this demon. Whatever the outcome of this endeavor, I decided that it was too late to alter it. Now with the howl hearing inside my head, I could see the creature was running towards me. Suddenly it leaped towards me and at that instant I was on the edge of oblivion since I was certain that I would be catching the little half remaining head of a girl. Then out of darkness, little black creature jumped towards me. It was with a tail and I realized that it was just the cat whose was owned by our neighbor. Then I realized what I fool I had been. All were the creature of my sentimentality except for the howl. Then I thought the terror might not be over and so I strode towards my bed and made myself to fall asleep as quickly as possible.

 

Nyi

( 15. 11.2009 )

© 2010 nyi


Author's Note

nyi
I hope that there isn't any grammar mistakes....appreciate your time very much indeed and all types of comments are welcomed. This piece is an old one. And it was actually based on actual events. Upon reading this, you might feel that it is long-winded. It is just the way of my Burmese writing ( although this was in English? )zzz. I couldn't help it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good story explained beautifully.A lot of good words have been used to describe the situation you had been through.Good piece of writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I like it very much! But I did find a few grammar mistakes... Keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Some mystery can't be explained. In my lifetime I felt present of ghost in the area. A very good story. Some mysteries will leave us in the dark and fearful. A outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4035 Views
3 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 6, 2010
Last Updated on October 6, 2010

Author

nyi
nyi

Yangon, Myanmar Yangon



Writing
Feeding Pigeons Feeding Pigeons

A Story by nyi


Falling Falling

A Poem by nyi


Alarm bells Alarm bells

A Poem by nyi