The Scoop-News and Notes from the Dare County Animal Shelter Vol.II, #2

The Scoop-News and Notes from the Dare County Animal Shelter Vol.II, #2

A Story by obxaco
"

Latest Issue of Local newspaper column by Animal Control Officer

"

THE SCOOP

 

NEWS AND NOTES FROM THE OUTER BANKS S.P.C.A. & THE DARE COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER

By: Richard C. Crino

 

 

Greetings from the Animal Shelter! Beginning this week, I’ve added a new feature that I think you’re going to enjoy. In addition to our usual news and notes, you will find the first installment of “Who’s Who at the Animal Shelter”. This is an effort to help you to get to know those of us that work at the Shelter better. One of my objectives in writing The Scoop has been to establish a comfortable, friendly relationship between the Shelter and the public. It has concerned me since I started in this business that Animal Shelters and Animal Control are often given a “bad rap”. The picture of the sinister, cold-hearted “dogcatcher” from days gone by is a hard one to shake. We are all in this business because we are animal lovers and animal advocates and each of us have pets of our own that we go home to every night (most of them adopted from shelters). On with the show….

COMING EVENTS

 

February is going to be a busy month!

On Thursday, February 7th there will be an evening of wine and cheese at The Seaside Gallery in Nag’s Head. This will be the kick-off of a month long promotion by the gallery to benefit the Outer Banks S.P.C.A.. For the entire month of February, 10% of the proceeds from the sale of any “animal related” art or merchandise will be donated to help our animals!

Saturday, February 9th, in recognition of Valentine’s Day, we will hold the annual “Adopt the Love of Your Life” event and Open House at the Shelter. The Outer Banks S.P.C.A. will pay your adoption fee on all approved adoption applications taken that day!

“Keep your friends close and your enemies closer” on Friday, February 29th.. That is the date of the “Pound-a-Thon”, a fund raiser sponsored by our friends at the Puparazi Pet Bow-tique in downtown Manteo. Take out a “warrant” to have your friend, co-worker, or boss “impounded” for the day at the Dare County Animal Shelter! Once they are in “custody” they will be given the opportunity to “raise bail” by phone in the form of donations to the S.P.C.A.! “Warrants” are available at the Shelter or on Puparazzi’s website (puparazzi.tripod.com). Beach 104 will also be there for a remote broadcast with prizes for participants!

WHO’S WHO AT THE DARE COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER

 

It seems only appropriate that our employee profiles start at the top, and at the top is our Shelter Director, Denise Lambiotte.

Denise is originally from Fairmont, West Virginia and is one of those people that it seems was destined for a career in Animal Care and Control. She tells stories of spending time in the outdoors with her family and of always having a special fondness for animals. Her connection with and compassion for animals led Denise to get her degree in veterinary technology and landed her a position at a local Humane Society spay and neuter clinic. This early experience tugged at her heartstrings and she soon realized that she could do more.

Denise’s next stop was for 22 years with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Animal Control including four years as a sworn Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Deputy. Here, she gained a wealth of experience in Animal Control and Cruelty Investigation and defined what she feels are some of the most important objectives a shelter can have, specifically, the promoting of adoptions, quality care for homeless animals, and reduction of rates of euthanasia.

At home, you may find Denise in the garden or cooking (usually with some ’70s music on the radio), or watching an old movie or a football game on television (most probably the Pittsburgh Steelers or the West Virginia Mountaineers). If she’s not at home, there’s a good chance that she’s off on a motorcycle ride or four wheeling on the beach!

Denise remains very close to her family, even though they are scattered about the Southeast, and keeps in especially close contact with her parents. Someday, she’d like to retire to the Desert Southwest.

Denise lives in Manteo with her two dogs-Ranger, a German Shepherd from the shelter in Charlotte, N.C., and Floyd, her Basset Hound adopted from our very own Dare County Animal Shelter.

ADOPTIONS!

 

We are, as always, proud to announce our most recent adoptions. While we love the time that we get to spend with these animals, we’re always happy to see them move on to a happy home. Adoptions since last we met include Ink, Jingle, Levi, Jasper, Sandy, Cookie, Dakota, Hunter, Taylor, and Carly. Best of luck to them and their newly adopted families and we hope you’ll bring ‘em back to visit or at least send pictures!

 

 

ASK ANIMAL CONTROL

 

Q:

I have six cats all of which I have had for a long time. They spend most of their time outside and always have. I don’t think it’s fair to keep them in the house. Now, all of the sudden, my neighbor has decided to set traps in his yard because he says “they are using his bushes for a bathroom”. Can he just trap my cats like this and if he does how do I get them back? Anonymous in Colington

A:

While I can sympathize with you that the cats have always been allowed to roam and now they can’t, I also have to tell you that your neighbor has a right to trap on his property if he wishes. I understand that it is nearly impossible to keep free roaming cats at home but the law states rather broadly that everyone is ultimately responsible for the behavior of their own animals. My advice aside from keeping them at home as best you can is to first make sure they all are spayed and neutered, current on rabies shots and wearing their tags (look into break-away collars) so they can be immediately identified by Animal Control.

 

Redemption fees are $25.00 for the first time they are impounded and increase by the same amount each time thereafter. Animals that stay at the shelter overnight incur a $10/day board fee as well.

 

UNTIL NEXT TIME…

Let’s not forget, too, that we humans invited and encouraged these animals to become dependent on us and we now have an obligation to care for them!

 

 

Send your questions or comments to:

Ask Animal Control

C/o Dare County Animal Shelter

P.O. Box 1000

Manteo, N.C. 27954

E-mail

Rich at [email protected]

 

 

 

© 2008 obxaco


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on February 17, 2008