The Scoop-OBX Vol.2# 10

The Scoop-OBX Vol.2# 10

A Story by obxaco
"

Latest Installment of shelter news

"

THE SCOOP

 

NEWS AND NOTES FROM THE OUTER BANKS S.P.C.A. & THE DARE COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER

By: Richard C. Crino

 

Greetings from the Animal Shelter! This first week in May is "Be Kind to Animals Week". If you have been putting off looking for a new addition to your family, now is the time! Spring is in full swing and summer is on the way. You can get "Sparky" or "Fluffy" home and acclimated in the nice weather, trained and settled in before vacation season.

The Outer Banks S.P.C.A./ Dare County Animal Shelter has a great selection of puppies and kittens as well as mature dogs and cats that are all looking for good, loving homes right now. There is almost any size, color, and personality of pet you could want right now, so come in for a visit and let us introduce you to some of our special "four-legged friends"!

BE KIND TO ANIMALS WEEK

 

Since 1915 The American Humane Association has celebrated Be Kind To Animals Week. What can we do to be a part of this? Here are some suggestions:

Make that vet appointment that you've been putting off and get your pets up to date on their vaccinations and heartworm preventative for the summer.

Update those identification tags with new addresses or phone numbers

Schedule a trip to the park or the beach just for him or her

If you don't have pets of your own, consider adopting a homeless animal from the shelter

Those of you that can't have pets of your own should consider making a donation to the shelter this week. This could be a monetary donation but we also appreciate gifts of towels, newspapers, bleach, pet food, treats, or volunteer time.

Make the phone call about that dog that you drive by every day on the way to work. You may be worried that it's not being cared for. We can check on him or her with a diplomatic visit and you can remain anonymous. Remember "If you don't report it, you support it!"

 

FOLLOW THE CHILDREN'S LEAD

 

As is often the case, the generosity and eagerness of the children show us adults the way. We can report two cases of selfless giving recently.

The first to be commended is a young boy by the name of Mac McClary of Kitty Hawk. Mac had his eighth birthday party recently and asked that his guests bring gifts, not for him, but for the homeless or unwanted pets at our Animal Shelter. We received donations of pet food, treats, toys, and more to make the animals stay here a lot more comfortable.

Secondly, we'd like to thank the Cub Scouts (and parents) that came to the Shelter last weekend and volunteered their time and energy. Scouts, Griffin Clover, Christian Brantley, and C.J. Midgett got the insider's tour before they were put to work. Animal Control Officer Chris Wynn hosted the Scouts and enjoyed showing them around. It's such a pleasure to see these kids involved in the community. We hope that they will come back again!

SIGN OF THE TIMES

 

 

Anyone who frequents the Dare County Animal Shelter can testify that a lot has changed here in the last couple of years. New faces, new programs, new philosophies, and now we have a beautiful new sign out front to help reflect our new image. It's big and bright and colorful and we hope that it signifies our commitment to this community.

Garry Gibbs of All Kinds of Signs in Nags Head was kind enough to donate this 4x8 foot sign and our friends at Buildings and Grounds next-door hung it for us. Where would we be without friends like these?

Thanks also to Pupparazzi Pet Bow-Tique in downtown Manteo for inviting the Outer Banks S.P.C.A. to be a part of the First Friday celebrations again this year. The first Friday of every month they encourage us to send a representative and usually an animal or two to their store to help encourage adoptions. Thanks Lisa and Dave!

DEPUTY DOG

 

Officer Amanda Brooks arranged a meeting for the Shelter employees with Deputy Tom Nieman last week. Deputy Nieman is one of three K-9 officers with the Dare County Sheriff's Department. He gave a very informative lecture and answered questions from the staff about his work and that of his German Shepherd "Ayka". We thank the Sheriff's Department and Deputy Nieman for all that they do to help us do our jobs and we look forward to working together in the future.

 

EIGHTEEN ADOPTIONS !

 

Eighteen pets have been placed in new homes through our shelter in the last two weeks! Some special folks have welcomed in to their families: Punky, Adoris, Sage, Allie and Gator, Fred, Simone, Peanut(butter) and Jelly, Dewey, Sweetheart, Hutch, Chloe, Artie, Ellie, Dottie, Hammy (the hamster), and Cheeka (the rabbit). We hope you'll bring 'em back to visit or at least send pictures!

Thanks to all of you willing to open your homes and hearts to give these animals a second chance and thanks to adoption counselor Candice and the rest of the crew at the shelter for going the extra mile in this busy season!

ASK ANIMAL CONTROL

 

Q

: My neighbor in Colington Harbor has a growing multitude of cats. Is there any limit to the number of cats one person can keep? Mr. A.C. Colington Harbor

A:

Unfortunately, there is no limit at the present time to how many animals an individual may own. However, cats, like dogs, must be current on their rabies vaccinations, wear their rabies tags, and be properly cared for. Each and every one of his or her pets must be provided with food, water, shelter, and veterinary care as necessary. In addition they can not be a nuisance to neighbors whether this means getting in their gardens, on their cars, by smell, or any number of other ways. In short, there are limits to the number of animals any one person can care for properly and humanely and let's respect our neighbors and their right to an odor free home.

 

UNTIL NEXT TIME…

 

Let’s not forget, too, that we humans invited and encouraged these animals to become dependent on us and we now have an obligation to care for them!

 

 

Send your questions or comments to:

Ask Animal Control

C/o Dare County Animal Shelter

P.O. Box 1000

Manteo, N.C. 27954

E-mail

Rich at [email protected]

 

 

 

© 2008 obxaco


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was such an uplifting read. It is so great to read news from your animals and their great fortune in finding homes. Your writing is always such a joy to read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like the way you have formated this. The white space makes it much easier to read. And congratulations on eighteen, wow, eighteen adoptions! How wonderful!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 8, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pretending Pretending

A Story by xlynne