Pentecost Sunday

Pentecost Sunday

A Poem by Oceana
"

I went to church today

"
i went to church today
expecting to witness God pressed in
between the pages of a book 

i went to church today
expecting to taste God
in the offering of
his bitter wineblood 

when i saw God he was with 
the little boy on his hands and knees
hiding from his father under the
pews during
benediction 


-�"

© 2013 Oceana


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful, I too see the Divine Presence in everything and everyone.


"I saw God the other day--he looked like me and she looked like you and she said "Tell me, if I have only one Son, who are you?" "

This is from one of my favorite music videos


Namaste and Blessed Be

Oceana

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oceana

10 Years Ago

I love that! Thank you very much, as always
I like the poem. Can find God in the faces of children. I like the way you led me to the very good ending. Thank you for the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oceana

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Coyote :)
i really enjoyed this. as many have pointed out, its a solid commentary on spirituality vs religion. your tone is always so invitingly conversational...you do a good job pulling the reader in close.

If you'd humor me on one suggestion, I would consider changing "when I saw God" to "when i found God"....i think it makes a much more profound statement, but I also realize that a change in that word might change the tenor of your poem - depending on what you wish to convey.

CM.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oceana

10 Years Ago

I think that's a fine suggestion. I'll definitely have to think about it though, only because I want.. read more
The nice thing about God is finding him/it/her where we wish to. Very nice poem. The right adjusting and using small letters (except on God) are a nice touch. Enjoyed reading. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oceana

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Mark :)
I think this is a fabulous poem. God isn't in the rituals of religion- my opinion. I'd like to think that God is with those who need them. That last stanza will haunt me today.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oceana

10 Years Ago

I agree, icelandicblue. Thank you for your review.
wow, there are so many levels to this...

being catholic i can appreciate...the mysterious fear there seems to be associated with religion...was even moreso back when the mass was in Latin..

but with the way things are in the church these days? don't blame him for hiding...

and i really don't want to think what is happening with that little boy...if the priests represent God...with all of the abuse that has happened in past years...even God would be shamed at this...those representing him? i like the "bitter wineblood"

such bitterness seems now associated with organized religion....

they have all gotten away from what matters...spirituality...and acting like a christian...

a poem that pushes thought...like i said...on many levels.

jacob

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oceana

10 Years Ago

You get it. I too am Catholic, though non-practicing. I go to church rarely, but I feel as though I .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2013
Last Updated on May 20, 2013

Author

Oceana
Oceana

Not Quite Boston



About
the documents on my computer are equal parts essays on the middle east and never-quite finished nonsensical stories. i would like to say i have a zeal for life but my caffeine addiction must first .. more..

Writing
For B For B

A Poem by Oceana


Over Over

A Poem by Oceana



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tu Es Romam Tu Es Romam

A Poem by Oceana


~ Outcast ~ Outcast

A Poem by s y e