The Edge of Manhattan

The Edge of Manhattan

A Story by L.M. Hanewald
"

Two individuals kept apart by fate find peace in the time they have together.

"

“We both really like water, don’t we?”

Under the new dawning sky, the currents sloshed viciously, glistening foam crowns slid on their heads as they submitted to the wind. It was one of those nights. For once, the air felt more like cream and the light of the night begged to avoid the evanescence that would soon dawn over them.

The boy’s face was lit with beams of blue neon. A crimson collar licked at his neck, flattened by the weight of his olive green jacket. He was shivering. The girl wouldn’t look for too long; every glance was harder to retreat from. Though she had accepted the impossibility, she could not help but feel her heart pounding with each second longer she spent considering the feel of her palms against his. It felt ludicrous just how much she longed for the blanket of his hands, the warmth of his chest against her chattering cheeks. She snorted.

“What?”

“I don’t know why I’m laughing.”

“Yes you do.”

The girl choked another laugh again, her voice strained, pained, regretful. The air was cold, but she felt herself perspiring under her clothes just enough to prove her guilt. Overtaken by taunting tremors, her heart had been strangling her through the whole spell. The waves kept battling their war and her physique fought its own: a mangy and viscous attack to break her down to a crumpled, wasted pile of flesh. He was looking at her. She found a breath.

The boy placed his hand on the low of her back, sending chills sorrowfully through her. His hand felt warm and she liked where it sat.

“I’m not going to lean on your shoulder-”

“Please,” He broke in, ”Please do.” His eyes were so wide, so captivating; helplessly holding her hostage.

A short breath escaped from her lips. He was shorter than her, but she found a way to nuzzle her head into the crook of his neck, just enough so that his warmth engulfed her face and her cheeks melted against him. It felt like home.

The two fell into silence for a spell. He craned his neck so that he could have her as close to him as possible. She listened in his chest to a pounding steady heartbeat, pulling her closer with each placid pulse. The quiet held them, drew them into a euphoria destined to be ephemeral. The short moment was made to last ages as they fought valiantly against the dictatorship of time.

“This is so wrong.” She accused herself vocally, but her words found no true grip on her actions. They stayed there, looking out onto the violent ripples. The current was destined to remain vicious, uncontrollable, unpredictable. They found peace in the stillness of the dawning sky, and hope in the foaming waves.


© 2018 L.M. Hanewald


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

..........you have a talent! I'm just going to come out and say it - you have talent! For such a short story, this has colour, this has power, and absolutely strong characters, right down to the brilliantly thought-provoking depth that encourages analysis. Every line is amazingly weaved into the story, and not one stitch is missed or frayed. Truly a work of art! Well freaking done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L.M. Hanewald

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! You're encouragement and criticisms are greatly appreciated :)
emipoemi

6 Years Ago

my pleasure.



Reviews

omg i loved this! fantastic writing! any chance of getting another chapter soon?

Posted 5 Years Ago


..........you have a talent! I'm just going to come out and say it - you have talent! For such a short story, this has colour, this has power, and absolutely strong characters, right down to the brilliantly thought-provoking depth that encourages analysis. Every line is amazingly weaved into the story, and not one stitch is missed or frayed. Truly a work of art! Well freaking done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L.M. Hanewald

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! You're encouragement and criticisms are greatly appreciated :)
emipoemi

6 Years Ago

my pleasure.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 22, 2018
Last Updated on March 28, 2018
Tags: new york, fiction, love, heartbreak, star crossed, short story, water, dock, sea, heart break, somber

Author

L.M. Hanewald
L.M. Hanewald

New York, NY



About
Major in English Language and Literature at Pace University. Enthusiast of great stories, great writing, beautiful nature, and coffee. "Patience is not about waiting, but the ability to keep a good.. more..

Writing