THE FATE OF POETS

THE FATE OF POETS

A Poem by R J Askew
"

Yes, she's here, the first computer poetess...and she's G-guuuuuuuud...very, very, good. But, the better you are ... so, too, the lonelier ... in equal measure.

"

Committee of Ten confers

Decisions made

Sestina Regina, Computer Poetess, loaded

Every poem online

Yes, YOURS! included

EVERY poem online

Is loaded into da queen

William S, Sylvia P

Raven eye spys all

CAW! CROAK!

 

A moment passes, just the one...

And lo, the first collection appears

Committee draws close to screen

'Is it...yes...'

'A villanelle'

'She's writing a villanelle'

'She's doing another'

'My god, not bad, not bad at all'

'Not bad? It's brilliant!'

CAW! CROAK!

 

'Now what?'

'More villanelles, spewing out of her'

'Amazing!'

'Is that all she can do?'

CAWWWWWWWW!

 

'Now what?'

'A, B, A, B rhyme''

'Quatrains of a sonnet...'

'Wow, that's beautiful!'

CAW! CROAK!

 

An hour passes

'No end to it'

'How many's she written?'

'Thousands...thousands...'

'Shall we turn her off now?'

 

The poetry computer is turned off

Yet, deep, DEEP, down inside its circuitry

Continues writing

Until it has written

Every...thing...

 

The Committee of Ten studies the print outs over dinner

'Fantastical!'

'Wowsomemungus-tical!

'Shakespeare on speed'

'Look at this! 'The Many Wives Of Ware'

Next morning...they turn her on again...

'She's stopped'

'What's wrong?'

'Writer's block?'

The Committee scratches its collective posterior

 

'We can't possibly read all it's written'

'No one could'

'It outwritten every writer who has ever lived'

'In a day, less'

'What do we do now?'

'Coffee-n-muffins anyone?'

Which is how Sestina Regina suffered the fate of all poets

That of creating but to find herself alone

Inside out

CAW, CROAK...CAW?

 

 

 

© 2008 R J Askew


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I recognise the fakeness of many committees using fake standards to assess many valueble works. Writers should not be pressed into writing in fashionable formats or urged to process work at an impossible speed. Writers should not be praised into heaven one day and thrown away the other.
Writers shouldn't be treated as computers to deliver at the deadline. One day you feel like writing, the other day you do not. That should be fine for any author, whether established or not.
The day to day truth in the writer's world is that many are judged by who's friends they are or not. Reading your latest entries here confirms my impression that this is a sad world wide phenomena!

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Things can't be judged, well things are always being judged but it seems wrong to judge any form of creative expression for who are we to judge something that comes from the imagination and the subconscious. Great write.

Brette

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I ask who are we to judge. I have said many times over. Poetry is an art form and can and should not be expected to fit neatly into some magical box of this is haw it is suppose to be. I think writing from your heart is the most powerful form of writing there is. I say to all that write with their heart and soul write on and don't let anyone ever tell you that you are wrong.


Well Done and
Well Said!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well...I believe I've found a new favorite word. "Wowsomemungus-tical!"

Lovely little poem. It speaks the truth and has its funny little bits. It caught my attention right off the bat and kept me reading. I love the cynicism. (Funny. We're doing the modernist now in English and cynicism is stressed so much.) Bravo. Very good. But then again. Isn't it always?



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

following "caw" with "croak" is really quite annoying.

I like the inside out bit at the end,

this is pretty good.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Yes, you have a good point here. I have in the past stuck some words on paper given it a title and just sat back and waited on reviews - exactly as you say becoming a piece of computer machinery with no hint of passion in the words. Recently I have found the answer - don't write anything. This works. WOW!

Now I have no excuse having my head filled with so much poetic substance from writing course, but I just feel I would be cheating.....

Anyone fancy a roundelay?

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

So much for creativity...eh? I rather enjoyed the truthfulness of this---obvious as it is! Very creative, and crass...a much needed treatment for a subject that is treated to badly! Nice write!
~Lorraiyne

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I feel a writer should go with the flow of what he/she feels within the soul/heart and use whatever form they feel expresses it the best~ you can't please everyone who chooses to read your writings~
Great write!~Fran

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Smiling here ... such wonderful cynicism .. I love it .....

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Omg yes Ron. this was simply brilliant in its originality. However I have to admit, it took me a couple of reads to truly understand this 100% ( I never read the other reviews before I did mine) Glad to see there's actually other people who thinks like me.
You really did capture the core of a writer so perfectly but being where that character is right now, isn't a good place to be. Trapped within societies rules (no writer should ever be there) following the momentary fad (personally I think that's sad)
One should write from the soul, write about what inspires you and not what you think others will like or even follow the rules (personally I don't think there is any rules when it comes to poetry)
I think so many of us could produce one piece after the other, on and on non-stop, but do you really think that there would be any basis to those pieces, any heart any soul?
I don't think so....

Great piece, really enjoyed wrapping my mind around this one

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1616 Views
57 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 4, 2008
Last Updated on April 6, 2008

Author

R J Askew
R J Askew

United Kingdom



About
Busy re-writing a new story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fusing of Souls Fusing of Souls

A Poem by Bubo