THE FATE OF POETS

THE FATE OF POETS

A Poem by R J Askew
"

Yes, she's here, the first computer poetess...and she's G-guuuuuuuud...very, very, good. But, the better you are ... so, too, the lonelier ... in equal measure.

"

Committee of Ten confers

Decisions made

Sestina Regina, Computer Poetess, loaded

Every poem online

Yes, YOURS! included

EVERY poem online

Is loaded into da queen

William S, Sylvia P

Raven eye spys all

CAW! CROAK!

 

A moment passes, just the one...

And lo, the first collection appears

Committee draws close to screen

'Is it...yes...'

'A villanelle'

'She's writing a villanelle'

'She's doing another'

'My god, not bad, not bad at all'

'Not bad? It's brilliant!'

CAW! CROAK!

 

'Now what?'

'More villanelles, spewing out of her'

'Amazing!'

'Is that all she can do?'

CAWWWWWWWW!

 

'Now what?'

'A, B, A, B rhyme''

'Quatrains of a sonnet...'

'Wow, that's beautiful!'

CAW! CROAK!

 

An hour passes

'No end to it'

'How many's she written?'

'Thousands...thousands...'

'Shall we turn her off now?'

 

The poetry computer is turned off

Yet, deep, DEEP, down inside its circuitry

Continues writing

Until it has written

Every...thing...

 

The Committee of Ten studies the print outs over dinner

'Fantastical!'

'Wowsomemungus-tical!

'Shakespeare on speed'

'Look at this! 'The Many Wives Of Ware'

Next morning...they turn her on again...

'She's stopped'

'What's wrong?'

'Writer's block?'

The Committee scratches its collective posterior

 

'We can't possibly read all it's written'

'No one could'

'It outwritten every writer who has ever lived'

'In a day, less'

'What do we do now?'

'Coffee-n-muffins anyone?'

Which is how Sestina Regina suffered the fate of all poets

That of creating but to find herself alone

Inside out

CAW, CROAK...CAW?

 

 

 

© 2008 R J Askew


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I recognise the fakeness of many committees using fake standards to assess many valueble works. Writers should not be pressed into writing in fashionable formats or urged to process work at an impossible speed. Writers should not be praised into heaven one day and thrown away the other.
Writers shouldn't be treated as computers to deliver at the deadline. One day you feel like writing, the other day you do not. That should be fine for any author, whether established or not.
The day to day truth in the writer's world is that many are judged by who's friends they are or not. Reading your latest entries here confirms my impression that this is a sad world wide phenomena!

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

it is interesting and in a way i am glad that i have read this

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i enjoy how interesting and creative your subjects are. I am too sick to come up with a creative or interesting review right now. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

By turns sarcastic, amusing, and cynical. An interesting, to say nothing of unusual, read.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very, very nice.
I love this. Its very creative, and very true... kind of like a political cartoon.




Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm thinking this computer has quite a few accounts here maybe. I struggle over every word, sentence, syllable...hell, period and commas even. Over and over I go, rewriting, editing, adding, deleting - takes me quite a while to post a piece here. Then, I log on to post and ....some have posted 14 works in 5 hours...I figure I must be doing something wrong lol. I liked the humor in this piece - and, well, machines do everything else these days hahahaha.

laura

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lol. That was a funny poem. ^^ Ugh, writer's block: You gotta hate it... Anyways, thanks for sharing this poem. Like many of the poems your poems, they're really creative and REALLY awesome! :) Great job!

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

typo in third line it says "compuer poetess"... sorry if I didn't say that first I would have forgot to tell you... I especially like "another villanelle, is that all she can write?".. I love to write kyrielles but am afraid to write too many on here for that exact fear... "the commitee scrateches" I think there is another typo... I personally think this is one fine piece, I am in love with works that rhyme and although this one doesn't rhyme it reads like it does which is just as good.... it also has an excellent flow and it is very easy to understand... Fantastic!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Interesting to say the least...death to fake artists :-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Artists have a lot of bullshit to put up with if they want their work to be published, mainly because their work is reviewed by a bunch of a******s who aren't artists, poets, etc. I've made peace with the fact that my poetry will probably never be widely appreciated, at least until after I'm dead. I like the sarcastic vibe throughout this whole poem. It illustrates the way the industry treats poets like robots who can just crank out one masterpiece after another at their will. Entirely not true, of course, you'd need a computer poet. Good poem, thanks for posting.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A real murder of Crows. Is art that is done for another's benefit craftsmanship? Who decides what is right and by what mores? You learn the language and then say what you wish to communicate surely?

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1613 Views
57 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 4, 2008
Last Updated on April 6, 2008

Author

R J Askew
R J Askew

United Kingdom



About
Busy re-writing a new story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Am...... I Am......

A Poem by Bubo