london GHOST BIKE

london GHOST BIKE

A Poem by R J Askew
"

The Ghost Bikes of London are tragic sights, marking as the they do the spots where cyclists have met their deaths. I photographed this one this morning near Kings Cross Station.

"

Following, always a-following

Following you now

Riderless

Ticking of spokes

What?!?

Just a bike!

A riderless bike

All white, just a-coasting along behind you

Bell, white

Saddle, white

Tyres ... white

White, whites, eyes, white

Can you see me? Deep Lee

Sharper now?

Or now?
Moreso on your way a-home

Late at night, No-No-November

To an empty, emptier, emptying red, bed, bled, dead

© 2012 R J Askew


Author's Note

R J Askew
The Ghost Bikes are there to haunt us all, to remind us of how we are, and what our city is like. The message is especially apt at a time when more of us are taking to bikes for the best of reasons. But others do not see the bikes in their haste, or negligence. And so the roll call of dead cyclists grows and grows. This poem is to haunt London drivers of the impatient kind, that is to say, the majority of them. Deep was just 24.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's a global phenomenon, and rightly so. I have seen the way some drivers have total disregard for cyclists and it often beggars belief.

In Cambridge, where of course bicycle usage is extremely high, the accident rate is relatively low, and getting lower year on year, (expressed as a percentage of volume of users,) compared to other cities. To be expected though, as motorists in Cambridge seem to be more keenly aware and there are warning signs everywhere.

One needless death is one to many though, isn't it.

Beccy.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Maybe one of the most emotive hard hitting and of the moment writes I have personally encountered in a very long while indeed.

Ragged and real with an after taste of bile, blood and an eclectic mix of heavy oil, spent adrenalin & asphalt....No need to bow, I applaud thee.....

Posted 8 Years Ago


This one is perfect in it's retelling. How sad. I like the line "No-No-November." It tugs gently, each of those syllables.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Spooky! Loved the message behind this.. A very unique and creative way of thinking. Very well done. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like the real-world connection
And the
Beat

A mini ghost story

Nice~

Posted 11 Years Ago


Yes remember seeing and hearing about the ghost bikes in London..havent come across one myself though but have witnessed the way people ignore others.
Liked the play on this tragic current...written with feeling.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Some motorist are metal brained when they get behind the wheel...cell phones...texting. So much so...they become indifferent to pedestrians and cyclist alike. They feel they are inferior...it's as if they look at others as an annoyance, or obstacle in their rush to make it to work. Most of them knowing already, that they are ten minutes late because they hit the snooooze button one too many times. It's unfortunate that roads are not made wider...to accommodate these riders. I wonder if they have this problem in countries like China....? Motorist there are considered to be presumptuous I bet?

Posted 11 Years Ago


How sad.

I love this site because readers can learn something, besides reading great poetry. I, too, had never heard of the Ghost Bikes. It seems a fitting tribute to those who have passed on tragically, and serve as a reminder to those of us to be more careful. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh, I had never heard of ghost bikes before! Too bad they can't put in separate bike paths. Sad that anyone should have to die because of impatient, neglectful drivers.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kes
Wow. A fantastically touching piece of writing.
Great work.
K

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1476 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 23, 2012
Last Updated on April 23, 2012

Author

R J Askew
R J Askew

United Kingdom



About
Busy re-writing a new story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Gasoline Gasoline

A Poem by Muse


Snow Snow

A Poem by Michelle_H


Africa Africa

A Poem by Jvonne