Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Oswin
"

"You’re the reader and I’m the character; you’re reality and I’m fantasy; you’re fire and I’m water; we are two basic elements that are always at odds with each other." A romance story like no other.

"

(Prologue)

I didn’t know when I knew.
    

No one does. I guess it was the way you read my words, taking them into your mind, processing them slowly, until they finally ticked into your brain and you knew what I was trying to say, or maybe it could have been the way your eyes moved the pages, consuming the sentences and turning the pages delicately in fear of the book ending or the way you held the me in your hands. It could’ve been any of these traits in your wonderful personality that slowly and surely made me fall in love with you.
    

I couldn’t be more sorry if I’ve put you in an awkward position with me liking you more than a character that becomes a part of you for a few days should. You can tell me that you don’t want to see me anymore, that is fine, it will hurt of course, when you have that final urge to shut the book and leave it, no longer me seeing you read my words, no longer seeing your eyes skim the pages and no longer feeling your hands wrapped around me. It will definitely hurt.
   

So before you close this book or chuck it onto the floor in frustration, please, hear me out. I was never supposed to do it. I was never supposed to fall in love with you. It just happened and it keeps on happening, yes its true; I like you much more than any other character in another book you’ve read, I can’t help it. I just hope you’ll understand that this isn’t how I wanted it to be. I didn’t want to be in love with the reader as much as you didn’t want a character to be in love with you. But if you hadn’t opened this book, I would have never meet you and that wouldn’t be the best thing, because every time you look at me, every time you read my words; my stomach flutters. It is as if there are butterflies trapped inside me, trying to escape and maybe there is a small chance that you feel this way too.
   

And I know I have already told you this, but I just want you to know; I made a mistake falling for you, but I would never change it. I just followed my heart rather than my mind and that was wrong, but so right. We're all told to think with our head and not our heart. But when it comes down to it, we forget. It is as if no one ever told us that and we’re in the right. But no, you shouldn’t forget about that. Because when it all blows up in your face, you have no one to blame but yourself. I made that exact mistake and that was wrong. I know I shouldn’t have done that, but believe me; if you weren’t you, you’d have done the same.
    

So I guess what I’m trying to tell you, is that if you feel the same way, if there is even the tiniest hint that you followed your heart too, step back and follow your head. I would love for you to love me back, but it cannot be so. If I was weak I’d tell you to fall for me, but it would be an act of selfishness rather than an act of love. You’re the reader and I’m the character; you’re reality and I’m fantasy; you’re fire and I’m water;  we are two basic elements that are always at odds with each other. 
    

But after all, love is infinite and so is the story.



© 2013 Oswin


Author's Note

Oswin
Thank you for reading, yours truly, Oswin xoxo

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"It will defiantly hurt." You want the word 'defiantly' here to actually be 'definitely'

"So before you close this book or chuck it onto the floor in frustration," You used this same sentence twice in your second paragraph. I would either reword one of them or completely delete one of them from the paragraph. You don't want to repeat yourself, making your readers lose the connection with the story.

This is definitely going to be a unique story and I can honestly say that I have never read anything quite like this before! I am anxious to read more when I get the chance to and see where you take this story.

~Raven

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"It will defiantly hurt." You want the word 'defiantly' here to actually be 'definitely'

"So before you close this book or chuck it onto the floor in frustration," You used this same sentence twice in your second paragraph. I would either reword one of them or completely delete one of them from the paragraph. You don't want to repeat yourself, making your readers lose the connection with the story.

This is definitely going to be a unique story and I can honestly say that I have never read anything quite like this before! I am anxious to read more when I get the chance to and see where you take this story.

~Raven

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Despite what Keegan D'souza said, the font is difficult to read. It is better to have the words broken into reasonable spaces by using a particular font that allows that. This font used for reviews, for example, is Trebuchet MC and is very clear and easy on the eyes. I'd recommend something as simple as this.

I would also advise putting spaces between each paragraph as it singles each paragraph to create an easier read.

As for the story, it's different which makes it somewhat endearing. I've never heard of a book falling for its reader or even so much as the prospect of it.

Now, I don't want to come across as nasty - only critical. But if you're a writer then criticism has to be one of your main fuels. It is after all for the writer's benefit. I have some opinions of this story as well as a few corrections so just bear with me here.

#1. I'm not sure what the title means in relevance to the book so I'll wait until I read the second chapter to figure that out. If it has good reason then don't worry, my book name's the same.

#2. Instead of writing, "hold the book (me) in your hands" I'd suggest that you change it to "hold me in your hands". If you want to add a little more sentiment then I'd even suggest changing "hands" to "arms" and talk about embracing the book. I know when I love a book then I'll give it a big hug before and after I'm done with it.

#3. Skimming pages genuinely means you rush through them. So the impression I got was that the reader wasn't enjoying the book so much. It might make more sense to talk about the time the reader took to read, consumed by the words of the story, the way they so carefully turned each delicate page, fearing that the story would soon end.

#4. Some of the sentences seem repetitive. We've all gone through this. We need to say what we need to say, say the next thing we need to say, and so on. The book could be persuading its reader to love it back with romantic words rather than constant apologies. And it can make itself clear that it never meant for this to happen, and then talk about the good things that would come from it, or the things the book would miss if the reader closed it and never opened it again. You've done this, but with less variety than I'd like to see.

#5. I wouldn't say "really rather sorry". That drags the sentence on. It's better to keep it simple because simple speaks a lot more. "I'm sorry", "I'm so sorry", "I couldn't be more sorry" will do just fine.

#6. "We're all told to think with our brain, but I guess when it comes to the moment we are (in) need of that saying, we forget about it."

The word highlighted in brackets is missing. This sentence is harsh and can be rephrased. I would go with something along the lines of "We're all told to think with our head and not our heart. But when it comes down to it, we forget."

This creates more sentiment. And where you previously mentioned a quote similar to this can then be omitted because of its repetitive use. And where you repeat it afterwards you can change it to something along the lines of "I made that exact mistake". Do you understand where I'm coming from?

#7. "I never meant to do that. I never meant to fall in love (with) you." You're missing a word there that I've highlighted in brackets. To add depth, I would rewrite that as "I was never supposed to do it. I was never supposed to fall in love with you."

#8. "You have no one to blame[,] but yourself." This is an unnecessary use of the comma and should be omitted.

"So what I guess I'm trying to tell you[,] is that if you feel the same way," the comma should be omitted.

#9. I don't understand your conclusion. The book wants the reader to stop following their heart and follow their head instead. If I was the reader and took that advice, I'd be reasoning with myself that it's a book and that people don't fall in love with books. But if the book persuaded me to follow my HEART, my heart defies all logic and my love for the book would be put before all else.

#10. The ending line is beautiful. But I think "...and so is [a] story" should be changed to "the" because of the power it will add onto the words. And personally I would use "Because" in place of "But" but it works both ways.

"But after all, love is infinite and so is the story."

"Because after all, love is infinite and so is the story."

Just remember that this is constructive criticism, not something used to put you down. We all need reviews to help us improve no matter how good we are.

- M.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by this chapters author.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Wow, I love this already. Definitely a good way to start out and draw somebody in!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oswin

10 Years Ago

thank you(: I will be updating every mondayxoxo
So impressed by the font choice.. Nice and clear and it's striking so it makes the reader want to continue. I like the breaks in paragraph, overall making it a clean presentation.
This is pretty cool, it feels as if the story is speaking to me more like i'm a part of the book then just reading the story.. that's what you were going for and it's working.
On to the next chapter, i'm hooked as the reader, hooked on this character that speaks to me.. making me part of this infinite story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oswin

10 Years Ago

thank you(: I will be updating every monday xoxo

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 17, 2013
Last Updated on May 30, 2013
Tags: romance, love, friendship, personal, book, finished, story, strength, madness, lovers, torn


Author

Oswin
Oswin

Essex, United Kingdom



About
Hi, my name is Jess and I'm 14 years old. I love old films, classic songs and reading is my life. I am a massive Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Divergent, Millennium, Doctor Who, Sherlock .. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Oswin


Two Two

A Chapter by Oswin



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..