Whale Rider

Whale Rider

A Story by Carnation
"

This was a speech I had to do in school.

"

I thought I was going to drown, that was all I could think about. That I was slowly sinking into the depths below me. Yet I survived, I miraculously survived and now I’m going to tell my story. I’ll tell you, the community, what it felt like to ride the whale. Feel the wind brush against my skin and the cold sting of water as it swelled around my body. My name is Paikea, after the legendary whale rider, and I’m going to tell you what it felt like to be one with the whales and the ocean they live in.

 

I can remember going up to the leader and pressing my cold hands against its wet rubber-like skin. I climbed onto the whale, using callouses as footholds and grips to reach top, as if I was scaling a mountain. I rested my limp body against its back, brushing my cold clammy hands against its skin, familiarising myself with the whale. It reacted with a call that sounded like it was in pain. I stroked it comfortingly, replying that everything would be ok. Only a few seconds later there was a chilling spray of water piercing my skin, the whale was trying to free itself. The beast’s tail splashed around in the waves as it slowly maneuvered the rest of its body to face the horizon. That’s when it propelled forward, diving into the waves, journeying deeper into the sea. I glanced around me, I could see the other whales following after their leader. ‘I’m not afraid to die,’ I remember whispering to myself as the beast I sat on lowered itself into the depths, leaving my life above the water’s surface.  

 

I’m not sure why I performed such an act, I guess I just felt compelled to do it. Part of me wanted to prove Paka wrong, that I am the future leader of our tribe, our community. And looking back on that day I remember clear as crystal that all I wanted was his love. I wanted him to know that a girl CAN inherit the ability to lead our tribe to new waters, to a bright new future. It took me a while to realise Paka only wanted to stick to tradition. He was afraid to except me, a girl, to be the leader of our lost community. It was in those moments I thought to be my last, that I realised it. It took me 11 years to realise why he showed me no love, why he found no use for me. It was all because he was blinded by tradition.

 

 

 

Now, though the past will come back to haunt me, I know I can just keep moving forward without regret because I am Paikea. I do hold the power to lead you all as a community. I do come from a long line of chiefs related to the legendary Whale Rider. And I will never be ignored again. I, Paikea Apirana will steer our community to a bold future. I’m not a prophet, but I know our people will keep going forward, all together, with all strength.


Hui e, haumi e, taiki e " join everything together, bind it together, let it be done.

© 2013 Carnation


Author's Note

Carnation
This was a speech I had to write for a school assignment. It is based on the movie and book 'Whale Rider' by Witi Ihimaera.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i never saw this movie but i found this story intriguing. my favorite animal is the whale. how exhilerating must paikea feel being one with these majestic creatures. you captured the emotion of the character. it is a beautiful image. this is a great speech. i really enjoyed it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Carnation

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words. It is quite an interesting film and novel.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

931 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 5, 2013
Last Updated on August 5, 2013
Tags: whalerider, speech

Author

Carnation
Carnation

The Shadows



About
I created this account years ago, back in primary school when I was around eleven years old. I'm now sixteen and in high school, and only just remembered this site again when my English teacher said t.. more..

Writing