Bittersweet Melodies

Bittersweet Melodies

A Story by Vertu Rose
"

(Alternate Universe) Vincent was a man who cared for nothing but his status and the violin that he played relentlessly. With the mysterious death of his father, Vincent became the new duke of the royal France.// This is just a small preview of what is to

"

///Keep in mind that this is a smaple of my novela. So don't get confused when you don't know what happened before and after. ^_~ Let me know if you want to see the rest(so far).

The rest of the week was spent in my account quietly and blissfully, the absence of my mother calmed my anxiety and I was floating on a cloud that had lifted me up from the earth when there was silent happiness. But the wrath of my mother was not easy to wash away. Three noble men and their wives appeared to me one evening as I had begun playing the violin. Gaspar was leading them into my residence with a concerned look on his aged face. I was very displeased to find that I knew these couples, my mother had introduced us when I was just a lad. Brendomi and his wife Lasilda, John and Eliza and finally the oldest couple, Clement and Beatrice. They were all starring in my direction their  cold eyes informed me that my mother had complained shamelessly to her companions. Clement the noble from the highest family of the three spoke to me earnestly.

His voice was stern and robust. “Your mother has been very ill, and yet you throw her out onto the streets like a rag? She deserves more respect than you have given her, I am outraged by your insensitive actions!” It was another annoyance I didn’t want to face but if I was to keep the public happy I was going to have to tolerate the irritance of their presence.
“Clement, I never dispatched my dear mother. She herself decided to leave the estate. For what reasons I do not know, but I can tell you that I have treated her with the outmost care, ask any of my servants, they will inform you the same. But I am afraid my mother, with her illness, has not been her usual self.” I let my voice show innocence and concern as I placed my violin back to its stand. Clement sighed in relief.
“I apologize for the outburst, I felt in my heart you were incapable of doing wrong to your mother.” He smiled in embarrassment as I marveled at my talents in persuasion.
Lasilda was not quick to trust, her hazel eyes were one of the loveliest I have ever gazed on, but her eyes were clouded with distrust as she stepped forward challengingly.
“ I refuse to believe your lies! She would never say something that was not true, you are cruel and…” before she could continue Brendomi caught her by the arm.
“ I apologize, my wife is not aware of her words.” Brendomi glared at Lasilda as she in turn glowered at me. I smiled briefly as I invited the couples into the den for a cup of tea. Most of them chatted without much difficulty, but Lasilda kept her eyes fixed on me.
I knew how to ignore people well for I faintly noticed her presence, though I occasionally looked in her direction when my mind wanted to please itself with her beauty. Her fair skin and her rosy lips distracted me much to my dismay. Her husband was quite the opposite of beauty, he was hefty and had a plump face that was red and covered in blemishes. It must have been an arranged marriage. A woman such as Lasilda would not be interested in a man as hideous as Brendomi. She was young and intelligent and had come from a wealthy family near the woodlands, she must have hated her parents for pairing her with the disappointment. For Brendomi was neither young nor intelligent, he was hardly any younger than Clement and he had no clue how to read or write but with his fathers wealth he did not need to learn a thing. The voice of John had taken me away from my thoughts as he called out my name. I looked at him with an indifferent stare.
“What is it that you were saying?” My voice sounded uninterested when I
had not meant it to be, disregarding this John spoke again with mild curiosity.
“When do you plan to get engaged? you are a young man of high status and you certainly have become quite desired with many of the noble families who have daughters, what are you waiting for?” He smiled amiably. This thought had not crossed my mind, for he did have reason to ask for I was twenty two years of age and I had not chosen a female companion. I sat and thought as to what to respond, but seeing as I didn’t know I solely stated that “I do not know why”. The couples laughed all except Lasilda.

“He has not gotten engaged to any one because no woman can stand him.” Her bitter tone struck me suddenly and I realized that she was still resentful. Brendomi began to chastise her when I stood up. Everyone stared at me, their eyes anxious and waiting. I grabbed her hand and held it firmly.
“My dear Lasilda, are you sure that you feel that way? I’m sure if given the choice you would trade your husband for me.” Her eyes were startled as she tore her hand out of mine. Brendomi stood up in outrage.
“How dare you! She is my wife…respect me!” His plump face grew redder and redder with each second. I could barely sustain the laugh that was building inside of me, let alone the smile that crept along my lips. He yelled angrily as he noticed my smug expression. Gaspar must have heard the commotion for he hurriedly came to my side to defend me if it was necessary. Lasilda still shocked by my words beckoned her husband to calm himself. Yet her face began to redden with anger as she approached me.
“You have no right to say those things! I love my husband very much and I would never be with the likes of you!” Her voice held the pretense of anger but I knew well that she did not mean what she spoke. I said no more for I was afraid Brendomi would squash me with his weight if I were to speak again. Everyone left quietly after the outbreak and I smiled and waved as they entered their carriages, and strode away. Gaspar left my side finally able to rest knowing I would not be injured. But I was disturbed by the visit of the three couples, for I felt now that my feelings for Lasilda were emerging from a childhood not so long ago. With my violin I played a tune that was not somber, but instead a tune that was merry, a tune of love.

© 2009 Vertu Rose


Author's Note

Vertu Rose
Give me good feedback and I will shower you with love and praise.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on December 6, 2009

Author

Vertu Rose
Vertu Rose

Cayey, NY, Puerto Rico



About
My nick name is: Neni. What can I say about myself? Well, I love writing poetry and short stories. I enjoy anime/manga (Of course!), and anything that is literature and philosophical in meaning. I lov.. more..

Writing
Read Me Read Me

A Poem by Vertu Rose


Wait Wait

A Poem by Vertu Rose