The Funeral

The Funeral

A Story by Flora

The grass has been freshly cut and the smell of upturned earth gives the atmosphere a false sense of comfort. All is quiet except for a young girls gentle sobs as she leans against the oak tree she had played under since she was born. Its Autumn and the leaves are a brilliant orange and yellow. The sun reflects off the leaves and touches her hair with a brilliant glow. The scene is breathtaking to all who observe. With tiny hands the young girl lays her small package into the earth and lays a day lily on top before gently pushing the dirt back over and patting it with tear stained hands. From a distance her parents watch her in her grief and marvel at how strong she is in the face of such tragedy. It seems like only yesterday he had been brought home. She so eagerly ran to him and jumped like a cricket when she saw him. He never left her side that one. They even slept together. But accidents do happen and somethings cant be fixed with Bandaids and kisses. So it was decided to give him a proper burial. Father had even played taps on his harmonica. Mother had let her wear her best Sunday dress and hat. And as the sun began to set on this picturesque moment the young girl looks at her parents and with hushed words asks,"When can I get a new I phone?"

© 2014 Flora


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes indeed the irony is not lost on me.... The way people cling to their mobile phones you'd think it was permanently attached to their hand !

A modern day sign of the times tale with a humorous sardonic twist !

Posted 9 Years Ago


The loss of a loved one is always hearbreaking, but this loved one can at least be replaced.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ooooo-kay, you got me. No poor puppy, prematurely snatched from life, but an electronic gadget. I guess this is what life in the 21st century is coming to. Excellent writing, Flora.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 21, 2014
Last Updated on July 21, 2014

Author

Flora
Flora

Writing
Prison Pains Prison Pains

A Poem by Flora


Cracks Cracks

A Poem by Flora



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Doctor House Doctor House

A Story by Woody


Fragrant party Fragrant party

A Story by Woody